PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Practice notes and observations - Aug 12

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Practice notes and observations - Aug 12

Postby Fresno Mustang » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:41 am

Is Badejo hurt right now or just having a quiet camp being behind all of the depth we've acquired / developed along the line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:04 am

Fresno Mustang wrote:Is Badejo hurt right now or just having a quiet camp being behind all of the depth we've acquired / developed along the line?

He participated yesterday, he was working with the second and third units.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:33 am

Badejo looks like he is in good shape, but he isn't filling out. He looks to me like a tweener between an OLB and a DE. With Lawler, Mixon, D Scott, and Horton, he just has players who are more filled out and can play against both the run and pass in front of him. They list him at 240, athleticism and quickness are there. I suspect we will see him in clear passing situations to pass rush. Very similar to last year.

What is really exciting about the DL, both first and second team, is that you have a lot of players who can win 1v1 battles. So regardless of who you choose to double, other players are going to win their matchup and still generate pressure. We have enough talent now that other players are going to thrive if a focus is placed on Lawler or Gary..
JasonB

Postby mrydel » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:09 am

Still need linebackers. Any progress seen there? Other teams kind of like having a big space between the DL and safeties.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby JasonB » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:04 pm

With the dominance of the DL, the LBs were free to make plays, and they seemed to make them outside of the long run from the 2 yard line. But I think it is hard to judge because of the play of the DL. That said, having smaller, quicker LBs isn't as big of an issue when the DL is able to occupy the linemen. 34 is listed as a DB and was playing a lot of LB on the second and third team. If McQueen is moved to LB and paired with Rhone and Williams, that would be an indication that we are going to rely on the DL for strength and let LB run around and make plays. McQueen (K Mitchell) /Rhone/WIlliams are a really small LB crew, set more to play against a spread than something like what Navy throws out there.
JasonB

Postby leopold » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:37 pm

My god, after the past few years any suggestion of any part of the defense being 'dominant' is a welcome note. But I can see our LB"s being called upon to take a role that is more athletics and simplified at the same time.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:18 pm

The defense was so much better than expected last season and I can see this defense growing to the point where we are golden in November.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:29 pm

The d-line can go a long way to helping this team dominate lesser skilled opponents.

Get them in trouble, 3 and out, and a more consistent offense at a fast pace will be able to wear them out going back down the field. Accelerates the game and lets you turn the screw a little bit.

I think we will actually beat our first two opponents by a significant margin because of that.
JasonB

Postby 78pony » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:07 pm

The mere mention of Navy in a discussion involving LB play gives me such a sick feeling. You did well until that point Jason B.
78pony
Heisman

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:46 am

You got me worried about the OL now
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Fresno Mustang » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:13 am

SMU21TCU10 wrote:You got me worried about the OL now

Evan Brown is legit and a great anchor to the line. We have competition at every spot at this point and guys like kadarius smith and Jacob tadora have all redshirted now. So it isn't going to be like the Temple game last year where we are stuck with whose out there because the depth isn't mature enough yet. I think the unit will improve a lot this year and the coaches will have enough options to make it serviceable for our running backs and quarterbacks.

SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby ponyscott » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:17 am

Thanks for the observations JasonB
ponyscott

Postby JasonB » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:55 pm

78pony wrote:The mere mention of Navy in a discussion involving LB play gives me such a sick feeling. You did well until that point Jason B.

Yeah, I think the quick LBs running around works great against the spread with a good d-line. But against Navy it is a different story.
JasonB

Postby gostangs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:16 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:The defense was so much better than expected last season and I can see this defense growing to the point where we are golden in November.

Really? I'm a pretty half full guy but our D was woeful most of last year. D line improvements are a great thing to see but we need some head hunters at LB and I still see short slow guys listed on the depth chart.
gostangs

Postby smupony94 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:23 pm

smupony94

PreviousNext

Return to Football