PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Late, Great Frank Broyles

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Late, Great Frank Broyles

Postby Stallion » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:53 pm

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The Late, Great Frank Broyles

Postby ponyte » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:26 pm

Frank is the reason Arkansas fans blame the refs for every single Beloved Razorback football loss. It it wasn't for the obviously blatant calls against the beloved Razorbacks, Arkansas would be celebrating their 101st consecutive national championship and expecting to add another one this year.

Broyles was a great salesmen and he was very wise moving to the SEC. The massive inferiority complex that encompasses the entire state just couldn't take being an also mentioned member of the University of Texas's conference.

He seemed a genuinely nice man and decent fellow.

RIP
Last edited by ponyte on Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ponyte

Postby mrydel » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:44 pm

I liked him. He turned me down for an offer and still made me feel good about myself. The move to the SEC was genius.

That said Arkansas can now truly see how good of a AD Jeff Long is.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Dukie » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:53 pm

ponyte wrote:Frank is the reason Arkansas fans blame the refs for every single Beloved Razorback football loss. It it wasn't for the obviously blatant calls against the beloved Razorbacks, Arkansas would be celebrating their 101st consecutive national championship and expecting to add another one this year.

Broyles was a great salesmen and he was very wise moving to the SWC. The massive inferiority complex that encompasses the entire state just couldn't take being an also mentioned member of the University of Texas's conference.

He seemed a genuinely nice man and decent fellow.

RIP

He was older than I thought if he was behind their move to the SWC.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby horsemanx » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:10 pm

Glad to see mrydel is ok.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:28 pm

ponyte wrote: Broyles was a great salesmen and he was very wise moving to the SWC. RIP

Bergermeister

Postby gostangs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:06 pm

Would never wish Ill on the guy, but I never liked him. Kind of reeked of slim shady good old boy back room dealing, and his move to the SEC was the first step in the break up that booted SMU out. Yes I know it was mostly our doing, but staying together a bit longer might have bought us some time.
gostangs

Postby No Quarter » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:45 pm

gostangs wrote:Would never wish Ill on the guy, but I never liked him. Kind of reeked of slim shady good old boy back room dealing, and his move to the SEC was the first step in the break up that booted SMU out. Yes I know it was mostly our doing, but staying together a bit longer might have bought us some time.

On the other hand he likely would have been the SMU coach for a while had the powers that were not been so smart as to require someone with a big resume like, well like Chalmer Woodard.

Contemporary reports had it that Broyles begged for the job and probably it was "Rayburn" who gave us the most interesting description of that period.
No Quarter
Heisman

Return to Football