PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Football Thoughts

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Football Thoughts

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:44 pm

I very seldom Post on here but really enjoy reading Others Post. Have watched everyones predictions. I believe this Team will end up 8-4 at the very worst. I really believe they will have 9 or 10 wins. Everyone needs to remember this will be the first year Morris can run his Offense the way it needs to be ran. Lots of really Talented Skill players on Offense. It appears the D will be improved, but still lacking at Linebacker position. For those who have doubted Chads play calling hopefully you will change your mind this year. Couple thoughts I have noticed, no one is saying Ben is in trouble at QB position. I believe he starts, but this year they can take him out a couple plays without loosing much. Something that couldn't be done last year. Also back to Chad. I believe he has only had 2 Loosing Football Seasons in his Coaching Career. The last 2! One year he had a winning record at Stephenville although they did not make the Playoffs! I also do not see him leaving for any job for next 3 years outside of Texas A&M. There will be lots of great Coaches lined up for that one! For those that may not know, Chad didn't really lose out on the Texas Tech job. He told them he needed a certain amount of money for the two Coordinators. Tech didn't want to commit the dollars. So they went the other way. Im not saying he would have got the job. Just saying he made it easy for them to pick KK. Turned out he was right!
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Re: SMU Football Thoughts

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:46 pm

I agree with 9-10 wins (including bowl). SMU went 5-7 last year after losing the starting RB and QB in the first game. Whole team is better now. Easier schedule. Year 3. I'm really pumped. Let's hope Sumlin has a good enough year to not get fired yet
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:03 pm

OLEJACKETFAN wrote:I very seldom Post on here but really enjoy reading Others Post. Have watched everyones predictions. I believe this Team will end up 8-4 at the very worst. I really believe they will have 9 or 10 wins.

TCU, Coogs, Navy and Memphis are all on the road.

If SMU can win even 1 of these games while also making a bowl, I will consider it a successful season.

Winning 2 would be outstanding.

Last 2 seasons: Navy/Memphis 244 - SMU 52
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:07 pm

The talent is there for 9-10 wins, but every tough team we play is a road game. Schedule just not set up correctly for a breakout year. Hope I'm wrong...
JasonB

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:38 pm

JasonB wrote:The talent is there for 9-10 wins, but every tough team we play is a road game. Schedule just not set up correctly for a breakout year. Hope I'm wrong...

Probably right, although we get one of the Coogs or Memphis I think.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:25 pm

This team will be the best that Coach has assembled. Under Herman, lost by 3 touchdowns at Houston in 2015, smoked them last year. Will win that game with new coach Apple. Playing at TCU is a toss. It can be done - see 2011 - it's arguably our super bowl every year. Now Navy, we are doomed. Memphis is the big obstacle as that one seems all mental.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:47 pm

yes Mustangs fans its August when SMU fans go to crazy town. SMU will be about double digit underdogs in all those games. TCU will be about +16 favorites in Ft. Worth. These are not toss-ups they are big longshots. This is why the teams we play may be weaker but our schedule especially in the AAC may be more difficult for a breakout season. .500 in the AAC West would be great. We are looking at about a 7-5 season which would be an outstanding climb in 3 years. Defense still has substantial weakness defined as below average AAC at both LB positions, Star, one CB and both Safeties. The best you can say about Special Teams is that they are suspect until proven otherwise

Offense is a year ahead and SMU will have to outscore a bunch of teams to get to 7-5
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:06 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
OLEJACKETFAN wrote:I very seldom Post on here but really enjoy reading Others Post. Have watched everyones predictions. I believe this Team will end up 8-4 at the very worst. I really believe they will have 9 or 10 wins.

TCU, Coogs, Navy and Memphis are all on the road.

If SMU can win even 1 of these games while also making a bowl, I will consider it a successful season.

Winning 2 would be outstanding.

Last 2 seasons: Navy/Memphis 244 - SMU 52

I wish we played Navy the 1st or 2nd week. In Navy's first few games, they haven't gelled yet, it could make the prison rape more civil. Or, if we played them early, we could "just get it over with".
ALEX LIFESON

Postby HTXPonyUp » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:23 am

That's my feeling too.

I feel like the reason we lost a lot of those games over the past 2 years was due to lack of depth and stamina over 4 quarters of the ball game. It improved last year a lot last year and we were just unlucky with the QB and OL situations early in the season. This year, we have the depth and experience, just need to avoid devastating injuries in the first 2 games of the season.

I think we can give TCU a run for their money this year and we should win 8-10 games. Call me overly optimistic but this program has improved so much and I think the results will show this year.
HTXPonyUp
Scout Team

Postby ojaipony » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:03 pm

Assumes we stay pretty much healthy in the key areas (Sutton, OL, DL):

I completely agree with Stallion. Offense will have to outscore a lot of teams this year to get us bowl eligible (need to have video game type numbers) because of the glaring holes on defense (one CB, both safeties, all LBs) which is why it's also so important to be opportunistic on turnovers defensively (makes up for some major deficiencies).

SFA - W (big)
UNT - W (big)
@ TCU - L (similar to last year, turns out to be a bit disappointing bc the team and us dreamers get on the overconfident train)
ARKANSAS STATE - W (very close, confidence a little shaky)
UConn - W (get swag back in this game)
@ UH - L (lose the swag in this game, we should have beaten them but they beat us good at their house - our defense just looks terrible)
@ CINCINNATI - W (this game will decide the season and shows the true character and culture of the program, tough hard fought nail biter win)
TULSA - W (this is a toss up, they are better, but I hope we win . . . . at home, but maybe we don't)
UCF - W (I hope we can beat them at home) HOMECOMING)
@ NAVY - L
@ Memphis - L
TULANE - W

8 wins. Tulsa/Cincy/UCF are all tossups, we SHOULD win the rest I predicted.

I think we could win as many as 9 but I think we win 7. Possibly even 6. A lot of ups and downs throughout the year with the final story being "well, we got to a bowl and are on the right path, wish we would have won more but there's next year. TCU/Navy/Memphis still kill us and Houston is a true rivalry and why is Tulsa always a toss up, we need to turn the corner and routinely beat them! And I do definitely think then that, although we lose Courtland, next year WILL BE the year.

So 7 is about right. 6 would be okay, but a little disappointing, less than 6 would be terrible. More than 7 would be amazing.
ojaipony

Postby oilpony » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:58 pm

I think of SMU football
oilpony
All-American

Postby peruna81 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:08 pm

8-4
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:27 pm

SMU21TCU10 wrote:I agree with 9-10 wins (including bowl). SMU went 5-7 last year after losing the starting RB and QB in the first game. Whole team is better now. Easier schedule. Year 3. I'm really pumped. Let's hope Sumlin has a good enough year to not get fired yet

Don't forget we also lost our starting left tackle (I understand those guys are pretty important) right out of the gate off of an offensive line that really didn't have much depth.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:41 pm

oilpony wrote:I think of SMU football

^^^^^
One Trick Pony

Postby gostangs » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:31 pm

id be happy with 7. Elated with anything more - and disappointed with 6 or less.

I expect 7. And 7 will require some things go our way.

Ready to get rid of the Memphis monkey on our back. Doubt it happens at their place but got 2018 circled up for that one.
gostangs

Next

Return to Football