PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Marketing

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Marketing

Postby Stallion » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:59 am

The Ticket had a advertisement on yesterday with Mayor Mike Rawlings encouraging Dallas to support SMU as Dallas' team even if you might have attended another school. No slick production value just a recorded message
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:50 pm

That's cool. Need that on the morning and nightly news. How do we get thecity council members (Kingston, Griggs, Gates) to say the same?
smusic 00

Postby smustatesman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Maybe a Mustang rally at Lee Park................on second thought no. 8)
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby smitty329 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:34 pm

Get Trump to tweet about the team and Sutton - more free media attention than we could ever buy.
smitty329
All-American

Postby gostangs » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:35 pm

Speaking of Russ Potts - who do you think was behind the ticket stuff we are seeing out there currently??? That's right - Brad Thomas. And a bunch of never say die Mustang fans that have funded it.

The lack of a vision or plan from our Athletic department about a multi year marketing plan has been a source of disappointment for most of us for years. I get that we are cash starved - but I don't understand why we aren't going to our loyalist to fix this since most of us would pay to see it happen. Don't understand it and I guess I never will.

You can renovate the coaches offices and the locker room for the third time in five years all you want - but don't call me to help. I would however be happy to give to a marketing plan if is thought our and strategic and specific to our situation.

Wwe get Dallas in our stadium or this whole thing is going to die a slow whimpering death.
gostangs

Postby smusic 00 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:56 pm

By slow do you mean like 28 years?
smusic 00

Postby oilpony » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:57 pm

SMU marketing, Reactive not Proactive
oilpony
All-American

Postby peruna81 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:59 pm

I will say it again....

Mustang Mania

Cheap. Mobile. Clear message.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:28 pm

peruna81 wrote:I will say it again....

Mustang Mania

Cheap. Mobile. Clear message.

Makes too much sense.
Bergermeister

Postby peruna81 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:18 pm

Tell ya what...if someone of a legal mind could find out the current patent restrictions or any legal qualifiers, and if it is clearly in the public domain, I will be happy to fund printing up a first run of MM stickers with 2017 emblazoned on the white pony. It will be identical to the last run batch of 1982.

The legal side is the only impediment...I'm not in DFW, but have a world-class printing service in of all places College Station.

Any Officers of the Court want to chime in?
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Marketing

Postby mrydel » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Nothing legal in my thoughts but I think after 17 years it would be public domain unless there is a renewal process and I doubt that was done if there is one.

Go ahead and I will post bail if I am wrong.
Last edited by mrydel on Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Grant Carter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:34 pm

I am not a lawyer but I am confident you are clear on the patent front.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:39 pm

mrydel wrote:Nothing legal in my thoughts but I think after 17 years it would be public domain unless there is a renewal process and I doubt that was done if there is one.

Go ahead and I will post bail if I am wrong.

Mark, that is gracious...but you would have to preach at First Baptist and explain why I began a "jail ministry" at the ripe old age of 59.
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:46 pm

gostangs wrote:Speaking of Russ Potts - who do you think was behind the ticket stuff we are seeing out there currently??? That's right - Brad Thomas. And a bunch of never say die Mustang fans that have funded it.

The lack of a vision or plan from our Athletic department about a multi year marketing plan has been a source of disappointment for most of us for years. I get that we are cash starved - but I don't understand why we aren't going to our loyalist to fix this since most of us would pay to see it happen. Don't understand it and I guess I never will.

You can renovate the coaches offices and the locker room for the third time in five years all you want - but don't call me to help. I would however be happy to give to a marketing plan if is thought our and strategic and specific to our situation.

Wwe get Dallas in our stadium or this whole thing is going to die a slow whimpering death.

Dallas doesn't care......never has, never will. Kind of difficult to make a case for spending money to attract Dallas fans, when SMU's own students and alumni have very little interest.

Maybe the athletic dept and school have thought about a plan, and additional marketing dollars, long and hard. You know what they say about throwing good money after bad. Maybe they decided it's better to pay Morris a premium, and spend money on his office, in order to try to keep him at SMU longer than he would normally stay. Maybe they calculated the investment in Morris, and the resulting wins, would do far more for attendance, than any amount of money thrown at an uninterested Dallas would ever do.

Maybe
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:10 pm

footballdad wrote:
gostangs wrote:Speaking of Russ Potts - who do you think was behind the ticket stuff we are seeing out there currently??? That's right - Brad Thomas. And a bunch of never say die Mustang fans that have funded it.

Dallas doesn't care......never has, never will. Kind of difficult to make a case for spending money to attract Dallas fans, when SMU's own students and alumni have very little interest.

Maybe the athletic dept and school have thought about a plan, and additional marketing dollars, long and hard. You know what they say about throwing good money after bad. Maybe they decided it's better to pay Morris a premium, and spend money on his office, in order to try to keep him at SMU longer than he would normally stay. Maybe they calculated the investment in Morris, and the resulting wins, would do far more for attendance, than any amount of money thrown at an uninterested Dallas would ever do.

Maybe

footballdad, I'll send you a sticker if it works out....maybe.
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football