PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Marketing

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Marketing

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:14 pm

football dad wrote:Dallas doesn't care......never has, never will. Kind of difficult to make a case for spending money to attract Dallas fans, when SMU's own students and alumni have very little interest.

Maybe the athletic dept and school have thought about a plan, and additional marketing dollars, long and hard. You know what they say about throwing good money after bad. Maybe they decided it's better to pay Morris a premium, and spend money on his office, in order to try to keep him at SMU longer than he would normally stay. Maybe they calculated the investment in Morris, and the resulting wins, would do far more for attendance, than any amount of money thrown at an uninterested Dallas would ever do.

This is so flawed. You speak about Dallas as if it this place full of like-minded people who all do and think the same way. Actually, Dallas is full of people from everywhere with different interests some of whom absolutely would attend a football game at SMU if they were ever enticed to do so. See TCU. Hate to tell you, but there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two school and pre-Patterson FW was just as apathetic towards TCU football as Dallas is to SMU football now.

Another example is SMU basketball. The last couple of years every time I go to a game and end up talking to someone who is on the campus for the first time and they rave about Moody, the team, and the campus. Is SMU ever going to reach a majority of Dallas, especially people with your attitude towards the school set in stone, no. But a good marketing campaign could absolutely get a large percentage of Ford filled and then just hope the product and experience brings them back.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:25 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
football dad wrote:Dallas doesn't care......never has, never will. Kind of difficult to make a case for spending money to attract Dallas fans, when SMU's own students and alumni have very little interest.

Maybe the athletic dept and school have thought about a plan, and additional marketing dollars, long and hard. You know what they say about throwing good money after bad. Maybe they decided it's better to pay Morris a premium, and spend money on his office, in order to try to keep him at SMU longer than he would normally stay. Maybe they calculated the investment in Morris, and the resulting wins, would do far more for attendance, than any amount of money thrown at an uninterested Dallas would ever do.

This is so flawed. You speak about Dallas as if it this place full of like-minded people who all do and think the same way. Actually, Dallas is full of people from everywhere with different interests some of whom absolutely would attend a football game at SMU if they were ever enticed to do so. See TCU. Hate to tell you, but there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two school and pre-Patterson FW was just as apathetic towards TCU football as Dallas is to SMU football now.

Another example is SMU basketball. The last couple of years every time I go to a game and end up talking to someone who is on the campus for the first time and they rave about Moody, the team, and the campus. Is SMU ever going to reach a majority of Dallas, especially people with your attitude towards the school set in stone, no. But a good marketing campaign could absolutely get a large percentage of Ford filled and then just hope the product and experience brings them back.

Making nonsense up as usual. "You speak about Dallas as if it this place full of like-minded people who all do and think the same way."
I didn't say a word about the 'people' of Dallas and whether they were like-minded or not, haha.

The TCU train left the station long ago, comparisons are irrelevant now. Basketball 'examples' always irrelevant, not even worth mentioning.

Talk about flawed. Keep chasing though. :wink:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:43 pm

So, when you say "Dallas" doesn't care, and never will, you're not talking about the people? Then what is "Dallas" referring to?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:40 pm

Kick him in the cones la.
But unfortunately he's right no one outside of a few care anything about SMU football. It's sad too. See you in Atlantis.

Here's a few right here

Last edited by One Trick Pony on Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Trick Pony

Postby BIGHORSE » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:43 pm

It is not really marketing, but put a Mustang emblem on your car, wear

your Mustang shirts out in public, I get positive comments all the time. :wink:
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:52 pm

BIGHORSE wrote:It is not really marketing, but put a Mustang emblem on your car, wear

I was at the DFW and this chick had a big red SMU shirt on toting two poodles.

When we arrived in Vegas at the luggage pick up I walked up and asked her if those poodles were Peruna's . Her retort who is Peruna..... I looked at her and said you're wearing an SMU shirt and you don't know who Peruna is?
One Trick Pony

Postby BIGHORSE » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
BIGHORSE wrote:It is not really marketing, but put a Mustang emblem on your car, wear

I was at the DFW and this chick had a big red SMU shirt on toting two poodles.

When we arrived in Vegas at the luggage pick up I walked up and asked her if those poodles were Peruna's . Her retort who is Peruna..... I looked at her and said you're wearing an SMU shirt and you don't know who Peruna is?

Did you educate her?
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:25 pm

I didn't think she was in the mood for a lesson from the likes of me.
One Trick Pony

Postby MV pony » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 pm

Outside a popular restaurant (Mangia Bene) in Laguna Niguel, CA were 3 parked cars with SMU decals in the space of 25 feet. I was fn shocked. I own the Benz. Anyone on here own the Audi or SUV that was there?
MV pony
All-American

Postby Black Horseshoe » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:03 pm

MV pony wrote:Outside a popular restaurant (Mangia Bene) in Laguna Niguel, CA were 3 parked cars with SMU decals in the space of 25 feet. I was fn shocked. I own the Benz. Anyone on here own the Audi or SUV that was there?

I'm pissed they didn't put my Yugo out front
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:35 pm

Investing in Morris is the best ROI. A top 25 ranking will bring lots of free publicity. It will build on itself as the ranking improves.

For hoops, there was the Godfather and a new arena. Lightning in a bottle.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:36 am

Black Horseshoe wrote:
MV pony wrote:Outside a popular restaurant (Mangia Bene) in Laguna Niguel, CA were 3 parked cars with SMU decals in the space of 25 feet. I was fn shocked. I own the Benz. Anyone on here own the Audi or SUV that was there?

I'm pissed they didn't put my Yugo out front

I have a pacer with a Benz hoodie
One Trick Pony

Postby mrydel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:30 am

My city bus could crush them all
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby horsemanx » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:28 pm

Still freak a bit when I see the Wichita State billboard pop on Central, but good for them taking advantage of being in all of the big cities in The American!!!

On the bright side, I did get my season tickets today.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby JoeKidd » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:52 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:So, when you say "Dallas" doesn't care, and never will, you're not talking about the people? Then what is "Dallas" referring to?

Met a guy that works in a car dealership in Grapevine today that saw my SMU shirt on and said he goes to a football game or two every year with his daughter and enjoys them. No SMU ties, just used to work out at a Y and met a guy who invited him once and he has been going every since...I thanked him for his support and offered him tickets on me any time he wants to attend a game. Feel like there is hope in getting more casual fans if we put a great product on the field and get a cohesive marketing strategy behind it.

Btw for anyone that hasn't sponsored tickets for military personnel in that promo the school sent out you should. Most importantly a way to give back to those that serve and secondly great way to get more fans in the stands.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football