PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Scrimmage (Aug. 19) notes/observations

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Scrimmage (Aug. 19) notes/observations

Postby PonyPride » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:47 pm

The Mustangs went through a scrimmage-style practice Saturday morning. Many of the assumed starters were limited or even held out while recovering from injuries or just to be cautious (i.e. WRs Courtland Sutton, Trey Quinn and James Proché each took part, but each was wearing a green/limited jersey and didn't play much).

• SMU had an event for former players, and the alums turned out in droves; someone said the expected total was around 150, and included players who suited up for the Mustangs as far back as the 1970s.

• Guards Jerry Saena and Braylon Hyder no longer are on the team, so Harrison Barton worked with the first team at right guard. Head coach Chad Morris talked about Barton and the offensive line after practice.

• With Sutton, Proché and Quinn getting limited reps, one player who looked very impressive was true freshman Judah Bell, who repeatedly created space downfield to get open and caught just about everything thrown near him, including a pair of really nice sliding/diving catches.

• Hunter Thedford is getting a crash course (also an accurate description of his blocking style) in the SMU offense at tight end, and while the system might be new to him, it's not like the position and the idea of playing on offense are foreign concepts to him. When he signed with SMU in 2015, he was the No. 29 tight end prospect in the country according to ESPN.com, and if head coach Chad Morris' claim that Thedford now is "about 270" pounds, that would mean a jump of about 35 pounds since the start of last year. If he can get up to speed at the position, Morris, offensive coordinator Joe Craddock and tight ends coach Keith Gunn will have, as Craddock likes to say, "a lot of tools in the (tight ends) tool box," including Thedford, Raymond Epps, Ryan Becker, Mitchell Kaufman and Corey Rau.

• Morris made no secret after practice that he didn't think the quarterbacks showed much consistency, and he was right. There were plenty of good throws, both short touch passes and downfield strikes, but also more than the usual allotment off-target floaters and heaves off the back foot that either missed their targets or got picked off. (To be fair, one of the interceptions was thrown when Morris put the offense in fourth-and-goal from the 40-yard line. D.J. Gillins was able to evade two rushers and then flung the ball toward the end zone — it was a strong throw that reached the end zone in a hurry, but ended up getting picked off by CB Cedric Lancaster.)

• Speaking of Gillins, he looked better running the ball today — certainly better than in the spring and to the naked eye, better than earlier in camp. Morris said a couple of weeks ago that Gillins has been cleared to play, and could play tomorrow if called upon. But Saturday morning's scrimmage featured several plays on which he ran through the middle of the line of scrimmage, including with a lot of starting and stopping, and changing of direction.

• One scary moment when WR Kevin Thomas went down with an injury. I was watching the ball and didn't see what happened to Thomas, who was 15 or 20 yards away. He lay motionless for several minutes, while receiving attention from the Mustangs' medical staff and then walked slowly to the trainers' table by the field. But it turned out to be temporary, as Thomas was back on the field in later drills.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Scrimmage (Aug. 19) notes/observations

Postby OLfan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Thanks for the notes. One correction - Natour and Todora were 1s today at Guard. Harrison actually ran with the 2s and 3s.
It was a scorcher out there. Energy kind of flat throughout. I did see the players charge with energy for the ice bath troughs set up in the concourse!
OLfan
Junior Varsity

Postby jimhagle » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:35 pm

obvious question- why are Hyder ans Saena gone?
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:11 pm

Grades for Saena
ALEX LIFESON

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:52 pm

So SMU lost two starting lineman ? Seems like pretty terrible news.
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:56 pm

SMU21TCU10 wrote:So SMU lost two starting lineman ? Seems like pretty terrible news.

Neither were starting?
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:53 am

good thing this staff has recruited a bunch of talented OL guys in recent years
Charleston Pony

Postby mtrout » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:18 am

This coaching staff is doing a good job. It's not always a party though. It had to be rough as it was super hot yesterday at ~103 heat index.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:43 am

PonyPlayer4 wrote:
SMU21TCU10 wrote:So SMU lost two starting lineman ? Seems like pretty terrible news.

Neither were starting?

Only Jerry was starting at Right Guard, but it definitely hurts our depth losing two guards. Can't afford injuries now, if we want to red shirt all three of the true freshman.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:35 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:
PonyPlayer4 wrote:

Neither were starting?

Only Jerry was starting at Right Guard, but it definitely hurts our depth losing two guards. Can't afford injuries now, if we want to red shirt all three of the true freshman.

Jerry started last year, but I don't think he was in line to start this year. Def hurts the depth.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Based on what I've read and heard, sounds like:

LT- Pursley
LG- Natour
C- Brown
RG- Todora
RT- Hopkins

With Webb, Kadarius, Barton, Printz, and Wilds being the depth. I would imagine the staff would try and RS all three of Ali, Howerton, and Huhn if possible
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:41 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Based on what I've read and heard, sounds like:

LT- Pursley
LG- Natour
C- Brown
RG- Todora
RT- Hopkins

With Webb, Kadarius, Barton, Printz, and Wilds being the depth. I would imagine the staff would try and RS all three of Ali, Howerton, and Huhn if possible

I would agree, Mister 999.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby malonish » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:34 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Based on what I've read and heard, sounds like:

LT- Pursley
LG- Natour
C- Brown
RG- Todora
RT- Hopkins

I would agree, Mister 999.

He plays Sim City ? :wink:
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend