PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL: SMU vs. SFA Game Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL: SMU vs. SFA Game Thread

Postby gostangs » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:14 pm

They LOVE gillins. His speed has them really jacked up. Y'all are not going to be happy if you focus on Peavy cause he aint in the mix.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:19 pm

Keep in mind Hicks 9/19 included a miraculous catch by Proche that should have been an interception had it not been for sheer awesome willpower.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:22 pm

Oh and look on the bright side folks...we could have lost to Liberty. Both Rhule and Herman have some splainin to do. I did feel bad for the Texas players when the boos ensued and paper was thrown down onto the field. I do not feel bad for the Baylor players.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby Pony81 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:30 pm

This team is much improved over last year. For the first time in a long time we had visibly better talent than the opponent.
I can see DJ or Peavy starting over Hicks. Now that we have other D1 scholarship QBs on the roster .... Hicks looks lacking in comparison .
I was impressed by Mixon. Very athletic .
Gotta find Sutton. Can't let him disappear. Maybe they limited the playbook to not show too much.

SMU actually has a D1 team. We have talent, some NFL talent and depth. AAC is better than C-USA where JJ made his living. The JJ teams could win in C-USA with a few good players but not in the AAC.
We have the best team since the 1980's.

Wildcard: Does HCCM have the courage to start Peavy or Gillens over Hicks. With Hicks you won't beat anybody you're not supposed to. Peavy and Gillens could bring an upset or 2.

Really, 7 pages on the opening game! Hmmmm.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby SMUer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:32 pm

Mediocre sophomore over two obviously better juniors? If Morris is going to run a Clemson-like offense, I wouldn't fault him for preferring DJ. CM could mix Peavy/spread and Gillens/option
Last edited by SMUer on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMUer

Postby gostangs » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:35 pm

most of our fans were at the game - plus a lot of people go to Scout first now so I don think 7 pages is a big deal.

Morris will switch in a heart beat. He knows we need 7 wins to get any attention.

I think Hicks will be number three by next week.

We need those OL guys back, That is where we will disappoint later. We will need some mobility in the QB slot this year.
gostangs

Postby ponyte » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:37 pm

The ESPN app didnt allow me to see much of the 1st half. So I ddin't see Hicks. Peavey wasn't playing aginast the cream of SFA's defense. I'm not sure one can make a comparison. What I saw was there wasn't much of a need for any QB to pass. Our line simpley dominated and we coould pretty much run at will.
ponyte

Postby SMUstang07 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:45 pm

How is Gillins obviously better than anyone. He didn't complete a pass.
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:12 pm

ponyte wrote:The ESPN app didnt allow me to see much of the 1st half. So I ddin't see Hicks. Peavey wasn't playing aginast the cream of SFA's defense. I'm not sure one can make a comparison. What I saw was there wasn't much of a need for any QB to pass. Our line simpley dominated and we coould pretty much run at will.

The play where the pocket broke down and Peavey was still able to get it to the RB I thought was a play neither of the other QBs would have been able to make.

The staff is going to play the QB that gives them the best chance to win. There is no conspiracy theory here. They like DJ with his athleticism and his arm talent. But the pick he threw that got called back showed some of his limitations throwing the ball. Also, playing DJ eliminates a lot of Sutton from the offense. DJ will be the change of pace QB (second QB) all season long. No doubt about that. But I think either Hicks or Peavey will be the actual starter because Sutton has to be a threat. Our OL is good enough to win when the other team can't load the box, which Sutton prevents. DJ won't move the ball well enough against TCU.
JasonB

Postby Pony81 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:13 pm

Gillens made plays with his legs, he threw a good ball, and you could see the defense spread out to defend him. Hicks is a pocket passer and doesn't have the arm to live on the pass alone - especially in HCCM's offense.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby smitty329 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:18 pm

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:Keep in mind Hicks 9/19 included a miraculous catch by Proche that should have been an interception had it not been for sheer awesome willpower.

And Sutton made a spinning catch on a ball thrown behind him on the opening drive - Hicks would have been 7 for 19 without those 2 plays.
smitty329
All-American

Postby masterbeater » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:22 pm

Am I the only one who thought the SFA coach looked like coach he who shall not be named?
masterbeater
Scout Team

Postby SMU21TCU10 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:26 pm

Pony81 wrote:This team is much improved over last year. For the first time in a long time we had visibly better talent than the opponent.
I can see DJ or Peavy starting over Hicks. Now that we have other D1 scholarship QBs on the roster .... Hicks looks lacking in comparison .
I was impressed by Mixon. Very athletic .
Gotta find Sutton. Can't let him disappear. Maybe they limited the playbook to not show too much.

SMU actually has a D1 team. We have talent, some NFL talent and depth. AAC is better than C-USA where JJ made his living. The JJ teams could win in C-USA with a few good players but not in the AAC.
We have the best team since the 1980's.

Wildcard: Does HCCM have the courage to start Peavy or Gillens over Hicks. With Hicks you won't beat anybody you're not supposed to. Peavy and Gillens could bring an upset or 2.

Really, 7 pages on the opening game! Hmmmm.

For those wondering why there is only 7 pages, part of the reason is because our espn feed didn't work the first half!
SMU21TCU10
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:11 am

SMUstang07 wrote:How is Gillins obviously better than anyone. He didn't complete a pass.

Bingo-my suspicion based on the only video out there is that he is EXTREMELY raw. Wished they allowed him to show what he adds to the passing game but until he consistently shows he can get the ball to Sutton, Proche and Trey Quinn then he shouldn't be starting. I've seen Rafe Peavey now 3 times and he's been impressive all 3 times.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby soccermom » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:07 am

masterbeater wrote:Am I the only one who thought the SFA coach looked like coach he who shall not be named?

Yes! I thought it was him when I first saw him.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football