PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL: SMU vs. SFA Game Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL: SMU vs. SFA Game Thread

Postby soccermom » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:11 am

FWIW, one of the espn pbp announcers loved Peavey. He said he did something the others didn't do. He gave a passing look when handing the ball off & how that would keep defenses on their toes.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:12 am

Oh comeon

One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:35 am

Stallion wrote:
SMUstang07 wrote:How is Gillins obviously better than anyone. He didn't complete a pass.

Bingo-my suspicion based on the only video out there is that he is EXTREMELY raw. Wished they allowed him to show what he adds to the passing game but until he consistently shows he can get the ball to Sutton, Proche and Trey Quinn then he shouldn't be starting. I've seen Rafe Peavey now 3 times and he's been impressive all 3 times.

They did allow him to show, and he threw a pick. They didn't call any more passing plays after that throw.

But you can see how everything he throws is on a line. He doesn't put any arc under the ball. Same thing he shows in practice.

I'd also suggest that if the OL was completely dominant, like we will have next year, there might be some temptation to go with DJ. But it isn't at that level. Our OL isn't good enough to beat decent teams without a viable passing threat.

In practice, Peavey and Hicks look similar, but Hicks has a better deep ball. Which is why he won the starting spot. But Peavey might be a gamer, and his mobility might also allow him to thrive better in game situations. Hicks last night reverted back to what we saw last year and in the spring, which was disappointing not only to us but I am sure the coaching staff.

If Peavey doesn't start against UNT, I suspect Hicks will get the first two series, then DJ gets the third, and then a decision will be made.
JasonB

Postby mtrout » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:38 am

This is probably premature but someone needs to make one of these for Peavey

mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:15 am

We were only going to feature Sutton if there was a question as to the outcome of this game. Smart move and gets the other guys reps.
ponyboy

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:47 pm

In fairness to Gillins, yes he threw a pick. It was called back on a defensive holding call, and based on where the flag was thrown I got the impression it was his intended receiver who was prevented from running his route.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:55 pm

in another passing situation, Gillens bailed on the passing play after about a second and a half to scramble which was very reminiscent of his Wisconsin spring video. We've got great receivers-get the ball to them and let them make things happen
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:21 pm

H-E-B Mustang wrote:In fairness to Gillins, yes he threw a pick. It was called back on a defensive holding call, and based on where the flag was thrown I got the impression it was his intended receiver who was prevented from running his route.

I get that. But the player who made the pick wasn't the guy who was holding. The hold was a bail out call. He zipped the pass over there, but it was flat and an easy pick for the LB who was sitting in front of the post route in coverage. That pass is reflective of what you see in practice - great arm, but no arc at all. Until he develops that touch on the ball, DJ will really struggle in passing downs when teams back into coverage. It also means that he can throw the slant and post, but the deep out and the fly are not there, which really limits Sutton.
JasonB

Postby mrydel » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:03 pm

I saw DJ for the first time last night. He does have a very strong arm. But on that particular play, Jason is correct. Ball needed some arc and touch to get to the breaking free receiver. I cannot comment any further since my observation is limited.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby horsemanx » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:17 pm

I thought it was great to see all three QBs. They all bring something different. Good to keep opponents and their preparation off-guard.

I am starting to come around to mrydel's opinion Peavey is the guy though. Most versatility there for sure.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:22 pm

I really have no agenda with my opinion. I was just familiar with Peavy's background. Most surprising thing to me was Hicks' lack of accuracy. Hopefully his timing will come back if he remains the starter. But it is nice to have a 3 headed monster, as compared to one scholarship QB for much of last year.
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:41 pm

I'm just telling you they think Gillian is the best of the group and they will give him many more opportunities. His legs create lots of issues if he can also deliver the ball. Morris offense works best if the QB is a threat to run. Makes the LB's cheat up and open everything behind them.
gostangs

Postby skyscraper » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:43 pm

I learned that we really don't have a true starter and if any one of the three asserts themselves, then the job is theirs.
Hopeful Hicks can be better than pedestrian next week.
skyscraper

OFFICIAL: SMU vs. SFA Game Thread

Postby mrydel » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:43 pm

If they can coach his passing he may be the best option. But as Stallion said, he was very quick to pull the ball down and run and that should be the last option.

I like the problems we have at QB as opposed to last year.
mrydel

Postby PonyFan32 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:52 pm

If you watched any of the Michigan vs Florida game, you saw two Top 25 teams who also have QB issues. Not unique to us.
PonyFan32
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football