PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chad Morris Coming Up on Ch. 8 Sports Special

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Chad Morris Coming Up on Ch. 8 Sports Special

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:15 pm

its a 30 minute show after the news starting late tonite at 11:15
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Chad Morris Coming Up on Ch. 8 Sports Special

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:21 pm

Morris on after commercial break at 11:21
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:38 pm

Good stuff. Honoring Parks.
smusic 00

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:57 pm

yeah it was a nice segment (5 minutes) but of course nothing really new to SMU fans

I thought his "No comment" as to whether he has been contacted by Texas A&M was interesting :twisted:

Stallion

Postby Puckhead48E » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:25 am

He gone... Let's hire Chip Kelly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:00 am

Chad still has to win his way out of here.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby orguy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:39 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Chad still has to win his way out of here.

Tired of the constant barrage of positive media for Morris. Not necessarily his fault but
he must win first.

If he wins and turns this thing around then great. He can go to that perennial 500 SEC team and SMU will be an attractive proposition for whomever is next in line. The ags will still be the ags eternally. That program has never won anything with a plethora of talent at their disposal.

Frankly, CM's flirtations with other schools (i.e Baylor, aggy) are not that different than June/ASU. Tired of it.

Win CM. Show not tell.
orguy
All-American

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:31 pm

people that understand college football know exactly where this is heading. As Chad Morris says the games are only a small fraction of the time spent building a program. He was an essential ingredient in recruiting, developing and installing the offensive scheme of a National Championship. He's making similar, albeit less monumental, strides at SMU which was a total rebuild. It was a 3-4 year rebuild from Day 1 and he has built a solid foundation which will win. You don't have to wait until the pie is fully baked to know everything already smells good. SMU folks better get off this attitude that he hasn't been everything we hoped he could be-he deserves every bit of support right now for what he has already done here. If I was the AD I would have already sweetened the pot based on the foundation alone. On the other hand we got SMU's fat cats who haven't delivered and SMU alumni who aren't supporting the team by putting their asses in seats.

I'd give Morris an A
I'd give SMU fans a C- for not "locking arms" and buying in until apparently SMU win 9-10 for multiples year

Guess what if you don't recognize what Morris has already done before multiple 9-10 win seasons then you won't have to worry about him coaching the team when the pie is baked. Morris will get the job done with or without the fat-cats or alumni and move on to a P5 powerhouse

Stallion

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:51 pm

Stallion wrote:people that understand college football know exactly where this is heading. As Chad Morris says the games are only a small fraction of the time spent building a program. He was an essential ingredient in recruiting, developing and installing the offensive scheme of a National Championship. He's making similar, albeit less monumental, strides at SMU which was a total rebuild. It was a 3-4 year rebuild from Day 1 and he has built a solid foundation which will win. You don't have to wait until the pie is fully baked to know everything already smells good. SMU folks better get off this attitude that he hasn't been everything we hoped he could be-he deserves every bit of support right now for what he has already done here. If I was the AD I would have already sweetened the pot based on the foundation alone. On the other hand we got SMU's fat cats who haven't delivered and SMU alumni who aren't supporting the team by putting their asses in seats.

I'd give Morris an A
I'd give SMU fans a C- for not "locking arms" and buying in until apparently SMU win 9-10 for multiples year

Guess what if you don't recognize what Morris has already done before multiple 9-10 win seasons then you won't have to worry about him coaching the team when the pie is baked. Morris will get the job done with or without the fat-cats or alumni and move on to a P5 powerhouse

100% agree, sometimes you get what you deserve. Lots of season ticket holders this past Saturday, chose to stay home, or at least not come to Ford Stadium. As Chad said after the game, SMU fans are missing out on something special.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Stallion I agree with you about where has this thing heading - and most of us on this board are die hards and relatively educated and can see it with our own eyes. However I am not going to knock those that are giving it the "show me" attitude.

SMU graduates 1500 a year undergrads, one third of which stay in town, and half of that group couldn't care less (like everywhere) - so that is a yearly market of 250 people to even go after. You know how many years in a row you have to get 100% of them to fill 20,000 seats? - 80. In other words - impossible. So we have to have Dallas non SMU folks to even be average in attendance - and those fans have lots of choices and they follow winners. As far as they know SMU is still floundering - we won 5 games against below average talent last year - thats all they care to know until there is something else definitive to see.

You can't expect them to anticipate success - it has to be in front of their nose, and probably more than a few games to make sure it is not just a fluke. Its just not that important to most people - I don't care what program you support. I think we have the best fans in the country percentage wise- there just aren't enough graduates, and non SMU Dallas doesn't show up until they know they have relevance.

Morris (thanks to the fat cats) makes VERY good dough at SMU - and he has gotten tons of support for virtually everything he has asked for. We are 15-20 million in pledges toward the IPF - and yes we will get there. If thats not enough for Chad, then we will plug a new coach on his base and do fine. Personally I hope Chad stays forever - I love everything about him - Texas first, works his [deleted] off and is great at everything that matters, and represents our university better than any coach I have ever seen - and I have seen the last ten or so.
gostangs

Postby mtrout » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:02 pm

Chad needs a hug. He has done the grunt work of getting this team back in business. We should have a Chad appreciation day at one of the games.

Coaches want to feel appreciated and valued. Where's his IPF? I also heard they were considering skipping the IPF and expand other football facilities first. Any news on any of that stuff? Even talking about it probably just annoys the [deleted] out of him at this point.

If I were Hart and RGT, I'd be trying to treat Chad like he treats his recruits even if it's just the little things. He is the best coach we've had in 30+ years.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Mexmustang » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:00 pm

How should we grade the people that made all the promises and still haven't delivered? Same with June, same with Bennett, same with Cavan. Fans didn't make these promises, alumni didn't, donors didn't, our President did.
He could have but chose not to. Rather than going well beyond the $1bn endowment challenge they could have redirected a good portion of the excess to football before donors wrote their checks and specified their donations to the endowment fund.
As far a donors are concerned, as an example, over the last two years, six of our Mustangs just in my row of 12 passed. Each one gave $50-100,000 per year to athletics. We're losing major fans faster than we're generating them. The stunt the Board played by recently by extending our President's term for another five years, he'll be here until he's 77-78, has left a bad taste with the major athletic contributors--those that know what has happened over the past 30 years in SMU athletics. Some major donors believe the school has no governance and the board has shunned any responsibility. In short, not a good investment.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:14 pm

Mex . Will you be in the Bahamas if so I'll see you there
One Trick Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:19 pm

So sick of the years and years of excuses. The fact we can't find 30000 alums and people interested in this team is just sad.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:51 pm

We need a David Miller type person to take the lead for football. Needs to happen quick before more of the older alumni disappear.

Winning will really help, though. All of us who pay close attention are the .01% of alumni. The rest just see a program that went 1-11, 1-11, 5-7.

Dallas loves winners. If we are 3-1 with a close loss to TCU or even 4-0, we will get the attention of Dallas and SMU alumni. If we lose to UNT and/or Arky State, nobody will come on board this season. And frankly, that would be a sign that we are going to finish in the bottom half of the conference yet again. That won't help us gain more fans, and nobody would try to grab Morris anyway.
JasonB

Next

Return to Football