PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL: SMU vs. NTSU Game Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL: SMU vs. NTSU Game Thread

Postby horsemanx » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:35 pm

gostangs wrote:If you want the band to be bigger - give to the diamond M club scholarship fund.

I want them to be bigger, but I want them to play more. They seem lazy these days.

Why would anybody give their hard earned money to an organization that claims to be the hub of SMU spirit but doesn't even pay attention to the actual football games?

I am all about tradition but something needs to change. It's embarrassing and kind of sad.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:56 pm

I'm pretty damn sure band has been deemphasized because and only because of game presentation/ production value changes which the kids love. Bands have been deemphasized at every stadium. What would the kids do without the Dot Race, Mustangs in the NFL, Mini-Mustangs, advertising/sponsorships and all that loud bang/bang rock-em & roll-em music et al. Its a different game now-go to A&M, Baylor and TCU which are even more extreme
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyscott » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:23 pm

gostangs wrote:For whatever reason, not a ton of band people want to pay 200k for an education. No idea why.

If you want the band to be bigger - give to the diamond M club scholarship fund.

I want them to be bigger, but I want them to play more. They seem lazy these days.

Wow...where u been?......its $280k...$70 k a year now
ponyscott

Postby SmooBoy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Even at its peak in the olden days, MBand never exceeded the 96 Guys and a Doll. Having been a member and now having SmooSon as a member, I can tell you they absolutely try their darndest to recruit every year with limited budget and marketing ability. They would love to add 10-15 more members. Giving to the Diamond M Club is a wonderful thing, but presentation is another thing.

Peruna (fast version) could be played 100 more times if the damn piped in music was limited. I realize I sound like a crotchety old fool, but hearing the bands duel during the game was why the college football atmosphere was superior to the pros. Now it's all about ads and 500 decibel level 'music' blaring out of the scoreboard. Game presentation is at fault for this, not the band.

Winning could/should bring more interest/members, but you will never see a 100-200+ member organization.
SmooBoy

Postby SmooBoy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Shouldn't we really be investing in faster Peruna handlers? Three falls in two games has to be a record.
SmooBoy

Postby Digetydog » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:43 pm

SmooBoy wrote:Shouldn't we really be investing in faster Peruna handlers? Three falls in two games has to be a record.

Maybe we have been giving Peruna roids?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby bubba pony » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:52 pm

SmooBoy wrote:Peruna (fast version) could be played 100 more times if the damn piped in music was limited. I realize I sound like a crotchety old fool, but hearing the bands duel during the game was why the college football atmosphere was superior to the pros. Now it's all about ads and 500 decibel level 'music' blaring out of the scoreboard. Game presentation is at fault for this, not the band.

Couldn't agree more. Flew into Dallas last year and took in a game. had to SHOUT at my friend next to me to make a conversation. When I left my throat was sore. way TOO LOUD. Didn't enjoy it.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:53 pm

SmooBoy wrote:Shouldn't we really be investing in faster Peruna handlers? Three falls in two games has to be a record.

We must be getting 2-star recruits when it comes to 100 yd. dash times.
Bergermeister

Previous

Return to Football