PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Observations from SMU/NTSU game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Observations from SMU/NTSU game

Postby HorsePower » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:01 am

1. We are better than we have been. Offensive line and defensive line look good.
2. That Courtland Sutton guy ... what a night. NTSU has nobody who could even dream about stopping him. Here's hoping we can say that every week.
3. Hicks made some nice throws, but was inconsistent. I see why Morris keeps him as the starter because he knows the offense. I think the talent is there, but he has to be more consistent.
4. Lancaster's injury looked awful. More than anything in this game, I hope he's OK.
5. Did Jordan Wyatt make a tackle tonight?
6. Mikail Onu is quickly becoming really good. Rodney Clemons is on the same track.
7. I didn't see Braeden West all night. Did he play and I missed it?
8. This is the best defensive line we have had in a long time. The starters are about equal with the Margus Hunt/Marquis Frazier bunch and the Adrian Haywood/Justin Rogers/Brandon Bonds/Cory Muse group, but the depth is far superior. They're fun to watch.
9. Please stop with the Quinn/Beasley comparisons. They're nothing alike. Quinn might not be quite as shifty as Beasley, but he is bigger and faster.
10. For the last couple of years, I have thought they're going to find someone bigger and faster to take Kyran Mitchell's spot. Now I say he starts every game he's healthy for this year and next. He just keeps making plays.
11. Xavier Jones is stronger than I thought. There were a couple of times he moved several defenders more than 5 yards tonight.
12. Freeman dances too much. He's big and strong, and too often he tries to make people miss.
13. I'm amazed they overturned the NTSU interception. That guy made one hell of a catch.
14. Great picks by Gary and McQueen.
15. I don't know enough about special teams to know whether the return game is inefficient because of the returners' talent or the blocking in front. Probably a little of both.
16. Same with the passing game. NTSU got a lot of yards late, and I don't know whether it's because SMU was in some kind of a serious prevent defense or if the backup DBs were simply getting beat.
17. Justin Lawler is not allowed to graduate. He's awesome to watch.
18. That touchdown tonight Gillins threw ... what an arm.
HorsePower
Heisman

Re: Observations from SMU/NTSU game

Postby jpe747 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:25 am

Good analysis horsePower!
jpe747
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:02 am

SMU's Offensive Line gets a C- only because they blocked well in passing situations. Otherwise, totally unacceptable-extremely disappointed-and reanalyzing how far this team can go
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby kc711 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:12 am

Stallion wrote:SMU's Offensive Line gets a C- only because they blocked well in passing situations. Otherwise, totally unacceptable-extremely disappointed-and reanalyzing how far this team can go

Agreed! We have good running backs, and the offensive line had trouble opening holes for them all night!
kc711
Scout Team

Postby kc711 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:15 am

HorsePower wrote:12. Freeman dances too much. He's big and strong, and too often he tries to make people miss.

He was dancing because the offensive line could not open any holes for him. He often made lemonade out of the lemons the offensive line game him.
kc711
Scout Team

Postby ebrooks11 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:33 am

Agree on the O-line. They were pitiful in the run game. Ben made a couple of throws that made me wonder how he is a D1 QB and then made a couple that looked like he could play on Sundays. Especially the in route to Quinn in the 3rd quarter.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby SMUstang07 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:34 am

1. Hicks is good enough to take us to a bowl game. The others are unknown and higher risk. That's why Morris is sticking with him even though his accuracy is mediocre at best. Gillins looks like Wildcat sub here and there and good for a change of pace guy if he can keep defenses a little honest.

2. O-Line was weak. Created no holes in the running game. Clearly the biggest disappointment. UNTs d-line beat them straight up. Not going to be fun against AAC type talent if you can't run the ball in Morris' offense.

3. RBs were very good tonight. Often created something from nothing

4. Quinn and especially Sutton are just on another level talent wise. Need to just get the ball in their hands and let them do work.

5. We were up by 30+ but it felt like a couple different calls (PI at end of first half and INT overturn) could have shifted the game a lot. Also though they were getting away with a lot vs our receivers.

6. Not sure we can call it average but special teams is no longer a complete disaster

7. Team came out flat. Are the crossing routes on our LBs? Not sure but teams will eat us up on those this year unless change is made.
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby jimhagle » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:45 am

Loved the win but....We've been told that there is more talent on our O-line now but it sure wasn't evident last night in the run game. Even pass protection was spotty at times. While Hicks threw 4 TDs to Sutton who could make anyone look good, he was very average for the most part. Hard to believe Gillins or Peavy aren't better than him by now.Or is CM just in love with Hicks? And why weren't we told of West not being available before the game. Did he get hurt in the pre-game warm ups? And why again did we burn the redshirt years on Medlock and Page? Did Medlock even play last night? And finally our youthful secondary has a lot of talent but it didn't show up much last night. So is this coaching or what? Mason Fine has some talent but he is not as good as we made him look last night.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby stc9 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:17 am

1) Our DBs were consistently giving 12 to 15 yard cushions on the outside. The whole quick passing game that they utilized in the first quarter was a direct result of that. The D line didn't have time to get home and UNT over the ball quite easily. I don't know why they went away from that. It was eating us up.
2) We still haven't thrown a ball to a tight end.
3) O-Line... they are doing a serviceable job on pass protection. They got beat a couple of times on stunting blitzes. They really have to do a better job not only moving the D-line, but getting to to the second level.
4) QB play... I have to go with the coaches since they see these guys everyday, but it makes me nervous.
5) UNT came out and punched us in the mouth twice. The first one shocked us and the second apparently pissed us off. Great response. In years past the kids would have folded. Showed team character.
6) 3 guys on D seemed to be making a lot of plays: K. Mitchell, Rhone and Lawler.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:20 am

Coach has repeatedly said Hicks has done nothing to lose his job and that, having been here 3 years, knows the offense much better than the other guys. Obviously we are going to have to open the playbook against TCU so Hicks likely plays unless/until he throws picks and puts us in a hole. It certainly appears the other guys may be more talented but right now coach appears to be going with experience and I understand that.
Charleston Pony

Postby PerunaPunch » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:02 am

stc9 wrote:2) We still haven't thrown a ball to a tight end.

I seem to recall Epps dropping one last night.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:16 am

Thoughts:
- At the end of the game, we were playing with our 3rd and 5th string CB, backup safeties, and 2nd and 3rd teamers all over the place. Disappointed that they gave up yards that quick, but it isn't the end of the world. They learned a lesson.
- Fine is a very good QB. We were in his face the whole night and he made quick decisions, and threw very accurately. The deep ball that beat 12 was a fantastic pass. I was really impressed by him.
- Impressed by the UNT DL. UNT stacked the box, but they really played well.
- Disappointed by our OL. If we can't run against UNT, we are in trouble against TCU. Certainly could impact the rest of the season.
- That said, we tried to run right the entire evening, behind the weaker part of the line. I think they were giving the guys some practice, honestly. We ran behind the left side of the line less than 10 times the entire game. Without looking at the replay, I think we had maybe 5 runs called to the left side. One of which was the long TD that Jones broke untouched.
- Rebounded really impressively. Defensively made some nice adjustments. We went on a 54-7 run against a team that is going to compete for the top of CUSA. Keep that in perspective.
- I think we will know the QB for the rest of the season by the end of the TCU game. Hicks will either make the offense effective, or he won't. However, there is something they don't trust with Peavey and it should be noted they haven't asked DJ to throw any of the quick bubble screens. Only the deep seam route three times. And we saw again he doesn't put air under the ball. There are deficiencies with the other QBs that are preventing a real battle with Hicks.
- If Hicks were consistent, the offense would be absolutely devastating. He has plenty of time to throw and receivers are running open all over the place.
- That DL is awesome. Bit on misdirection early and ran out of assignments, and then dominated the game.

SMU and TCU both do a great job stopping the run. Both teams have inconsistent QBs. But we have the best deep threat. I'm not going to predict us to win because of the OL, but the game is going to be closer than some of you are giving us credit for.
JasonB

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:26 am

1 Z
2 Z
3 z
One Trick Pony

Postby gostangs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:28 am

SMU does a great job vs the run? I don't think we can say that at all.

I'm worried about a blow out due only to my newfound concern about the o-line (remember we lost two right before SFA - apparently a bigger deal than we knew) and my previous concern about our linebackers.

I would be we will see Gillian in second qtr
gostangs

Postby Mexmustang » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:18 am

Hicks maybe the best we have, but why aren't we giving the other two playing time? Poor Peavey can't get reps with even the second team. With less than four minutes to play, Hicks is back in... why? With a large lead we would have really looked foolish to lose our no. ! QB when NTU was playing frustrated and "CHIPPY".
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football