PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What can be done to establish a running game?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What can be done to establish a running game?

Postby solomouse » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:04 am

I ask,because I am without sufficient information to have an opinion..but some of you have a better understanding.
solomouse
Varsity

Re: What can be done to establish a running game?

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:56 am

I think big ol dudes up front that can move and are generally mean would be a good thing.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:35 am

Block
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:40 am

a new line
Pony ^

Postby No Quarter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:15 am

I have the same question and others as well. Who were the key losses from last year's OL that made Jones and West look good and Freeman seem like a future stud? How did the decision of two upperclassmen OL men not to play this year affect things?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:16 am

Saltiness in our O line. Too many softies. ATTACK mode. It's a mindset, we have the strength (Brown/Pursley/Todora) but also have some softies like Natour and from what I've seen from Hopkins, he is very soft (Wilds not much better). Wish I were 6'7" and 300 pounds. :-)
ojaipony

Postby docabel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:27 am

An improved passing game

We have always been told that the running game sets up the passing game, but I don't think that is as true in the modern spread offenses. While our WRs are outstanding our QB accuracy does not meet their abilities. Other teams will likely stack the box - simply our manning us on run plays and take their chances with Hicks making an accurate throw.
docabel
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:49 am

First, we fan all over SFA snd didn't need to pass. I bet the NTSU coaching staff was more concerned about our running game and put a game plan together to address our running. And that opened up a clear advantage our receivers had over their DBs. It was obvious we had better atheletes at receiver but NTSU ddin't have the coverage scheme to counter that. Which is why I wonder if they felt our running attack was more potent.

The other thing is our complete running game may not be employed during the first two games. No need to show all our cards. I suspect CM and his staff will have a more aggressive running package for TCU.

We need an excellent O-line performance and more North-South running from our backs. With the threat of Sutton and Quin, I would think Patterson uses his D backs more for coverage than run support. Its importatnt our O line allow our backs to get to the second level running.
ponyte

Postby ojaipony » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:51 am

docabel wrote:An improved passing game

We have always been told that the running game sets up the passing game, but I don't think that is as true in the modern spread offenses. While our WRs are outstanding our QB accuracy does not meet their abilities. Other teams will likely stack the box - simply our manning us on run plays and take their chances with Hicks making an accurate throw.

Great post. I completely agree. The thing you'd expect, then, would be to see an opening in the intermediate throws in the middle of the field which could be a field day to Sutton and Quinn if the ball gets out quickly and accurately (see Sutton's 4th TD). If you drop the safety down in the box, we have the receivers who can get to those spots, make the catch, and get YAC. But we have to give the QB 3 seconds and he's got to deliver strikes.
ojaipony

Postby peruna81 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:01 am

Efficiency in passing game truly would help. As posted earlier, a bad disposition by the O line is another. They need to be folks that you would not want your daughter or sister to date...not in the Baylor sense of the word.

Lastly, there has to be a commitment by the OC to stay focused on developing this area of the game. It is more than just better blocking...it has many components.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:38 am

depending on Sat - I wouldn't be shocked to see them burn at least one more OL red shirt.
gostangs

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:55 am

Having a QB that defenses actually respect.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:15 pm

SMU scored 50 points in back to back games for the first time in 20 years.
1) In game 1, SFA dared SMU to run the ball. SMU ran the ball at will shoving it down their throats.
2) In game 2, UNT flooded the box with 8-9 guys with run bliztes on almost every play. While the run game suffered, the starting QB threw 4 TD passes.

Remember when SMU scored 12 points in the first FOUR games of 2014? Remember when SMU lost to James Madison at home?

Bottom Line:
1) The OL is significantly better than the OL Morris inherited. But, it isn't a great OL yet. That is probalby 1-2 year away.
2) Hicks is a good AAC QB, but not a great QB. If he keeps mistakes to a minimum, he can (and will) take advantage of the best WR's outside of the P5 and hurt teams.
Last edited by Digetydog on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smitty329 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:35 pm

smitty329
All-American

Postby JoeKidd » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:47 pm

NTSU definitely stacked the box.....we will have more space against TCU's 4-2-5 and they will be more committed initially to shutting down Sutton and Quinn I believe. The O-Line will have to improve though to take advantage of this schematically and force TCU to use their Star to stop the run, thus setting up Courtland/Quinn/Proche.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Next

Return to Football