PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Great story on Sir Lance

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Great story on Sir Lance

Postby BUS » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:30 pm

FYI Lott was really good also. Lott wanted to focus on other things. Nothing bad but just he was tired of football. Good Guy, he is at most games, sits with parents. I think he lives close to San Antonio and likes to hunt.
When I had corporate job I would see him every couple years at a Trade Shows.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ojaipony » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:47 pm

“Everybody puts Baylor up here and TCU up here,” McIlhenny said. “It’s just TCU. They’re beatable. Let’s go kick their a**.”

Yep, pretty much how I feel. That should be put up for all the team to see.
ojaipony

Postby No Quarter » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:45 pm

BUS wrote:FYI Lott was really good also. Lott wanted to focus on other things. Nothing bad but just he was tired of football. Good Guy, he is at most games, sits with parents. I think he lives close to San Antonio and likes to hunt.
When I had corporate job I would see him every couple years at a Trade Shows.

Glad someone else remembers Lott who finished at SMU not so long ago, really. Still can't get over the fact that his name was not mentioned.

Another surprise in the article was that some on campus didn't remember Lance.

I'd comment further that stories I heard about father Don made him out to be a MMA champ in the days before the term was first used. Tough customer. Good genes for one son to be a FB and the other an option QB.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Topper » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:38 pm

When Coach Meyer announced that Lance would start against UT in 1980 a DMN columnist wrote an open letter: "Dear Lance" it began. He went on to explain how UT was the greatest thing since time began and that young Lance should expect a butt whuppin in Austin. Typical DMN Bevo party line stuff. I don't remember the name of the columnist but I damn sure remember the name Lance McIlhenny.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:56 pm

A local Austin sportscaster did a commentary calling out Meyer and SMU for throwing in the towel and not even trying to play the game. Went on and on about how embarrassing it was what SMU was doing.

I saw him a couple of years later at a social function and discussed it with him. He asked if I had seen his sportscast after the game which I had not. He said he ate a bunch of crow. He also said he was a graduate of Arizona and had no love for UT but was required to announce as a homer since they were an Austin news cast.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponyte » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:37 pm

Lance did exctly what he needed to do agianst UT. He didn't make a mistake. The D had a great game. And the O-line owned the Whorn's D. It really was a team win. And the Whorn's punter also should get a nod as one of SMU's best offensive weapon that game. He really sucked that game.

Now a Freshamen starting agaisnt the #2 team in the nation and not make a mistake is an incredible feat. And it portend how good he was going to be.
ponyte

Previous

Return to Football