PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Biggest Game of the Year

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The Biggest Game of the Year

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:11 am

When they double teamed Sutton they were getting the ball to Quinn who was having a really good game as well as some other reason. His accuracy fell off agood bit in the ssecond half. However to go over 400 total yards and 36 points against TCU is pretty good.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:23 am

Arky State is a big game. I can't believe it, but it is. We need to win it.

I don't see Hicks riding pine. The second half TCU made great adjustments and took away key receivers. Notice how tight the coverage was? It would have been difficult for Aaron Rogers to complete some of those passes with the coverage TCU had. Our receivers just didn't get open. Double Sutton and close down Quinn and we didn't have consistant recivers after those two to push TCU. TE is almost non existent and has to contribute in the future in the passing game.

The O over all is doing fine. Not great and not top 25 but OK. Its the D that concerns me. We don't have a dominate D line though they play hard and are coached well. Its the LB speed. It is kiling us in both he running game and passing game. I do think our ack of blitzing since SFA is an attempt to portect our LBs' lack of speed.

TCU was flat out better than us. We competed for over 2 & 1/2 quarters fairly well. Eliminate some mistakes and we make it a game going into the 4th quarter. That is much better than SMU teams in the past.
ponyte

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:41 am

It was actually 35-29 to start the 4th qtr, that's not "in the ballgame"? And TCU faced third and long to start the 4th. They converted again but that was a key play. On the TE's, this is their job in the following order 1) make the run game go and help create seams and misdirection to run 2) support o line in passing situations so qb has time 3) line up wide and occupy, rub or drag a corner away from courtland or Quinn 4) repeat #1 above and 5b) catch occasional pass. It could change at times but the priorities and role is pretty clear. Tcu tight end was used in about the same way.
Last edited by Hoop Fan on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hoop Fan

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:49 am

Hoop Fan wrote:It was actually 35-29 to start the 4th qtr, that's not "in the ballgame"?

It was amazingly similar to the 2015 game where in spite of a ton of mistakes we were still hanging with them in the fourth - within one score!

Unfortunately things got out of hand late again.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:49 am

I think the disappointment is that with the obvious shortcomings of Hicks on certain routes, DJ and Peavey still can't push past him. Those two QBs aren't where they need to be. The OL isn't good enough to dominate the run game, and DJ is going to turn the ball over in passing situations. And Peavey doesn't understand the playbook well enough to start right now.
JasonB

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:52 am

I'm gonna say it, and hate me if you want. This game means nothing to the majority of our fans. It might mean something from a strategic point of view of: will an ugly loss sink the rest of our season. Other than that, nothing exciting about next week.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:05 pm

JasonB wrote:I think the disappointment is that with the obvious shortcomings of Hicks on certain routes, DJ and Peavey still can't push past him. Those two QBs aren't where they need to be. The OL isn't good enough to dominate the run game, and DJ is going to turn the ball over in passing situations. And Peavey doesn't understand the playbook well enough to start right now.

So Peavey has the starting job sitting there waiting for him on a silver platter, but he's either too slow (mentally), or too lazy to figure out the playbook?

Hmmmmmm
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyte » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:It was actually 35-29 to start the 4th qtr, that's not "in the ballgame"? And TCU faced third and long to start the 4th. They converted again but that was a key play. On the TE's, this is their job in the following order 1) make the run game go and help create seams and misdirection to run 2) support o line in passing situations so qb has time 3) line up wide and occupy, rub or drag a corner away from courtland or Quinn 4) repeat #1 above and 5b) catch occasional pass. It could change at times but the priorities and role is pretty clear. Tcu tight end was used in about the same way.

We can agree to disagree. Run first, pass second. Pass block as needed. In the pass game TEs occupy LBs and safeties. If one can get a CB wasted covering a TE that's a bonus. But I seriously doubt there is a D.C. In the nation at any level that would put a CB on a TE in the slot and a safety out wide on Sutton.

And if the TE is effective in the passing game, safeties & LSs must respect them. That makes double coverage on another receiver more difficult.

If the goal is to have a dominate run game then a blocking TE is great. If passing is a significant component of an offense, then the TE needs to be a threat. Not the key receiver, but a viable threat.
ponyte

Postby MV pony » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:21 pm

OR CM is too stubborn or set in his ways.
MV pony
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:27 pm

I really haven't seen a TE open much this year anyway except for the broken play to Mitch Kaufman yesterday. Even when the bal is thrown to TE they've been blanketed most of the year. I don't think its likely to change much. The Arizona St kid is not going to be an asset in the passing game

In fact, I think all these graduate transfers are showing why they moved on from their last school-they aren't that great. Mixon looks good getting off the bus but is pretty invisible on the field.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:38 pm

Ponyte, let me clarify. I wasn't trying to be too specific but wide and in the slot, both formations are used. When TE is wide, it is on opposite side from courtland. And corners line up against it on TE all the time. #11 on tcu is ranthony texada. I could send you 5 screenshots of him or other corners covering TEs wide yesterday. TEs do line up in slot on same side as courtland. In those cases, safety yes, but my general point is the same. SMU offense uses TE for most part to create mismatches for the WRs or RBs out of backfield, not vice versa. Seems obvious to me when watching.
Hoop Fan

Postby sbsmith » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:37 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I'm gonna say it, and hate me if you want. This game means nothing to the majority of our fans. It might mean something from a strategic point of view of: will an ugly loss sink the rest of our season. Other than that, nothing exciting about next week.

Yes and the attendance will reflect that.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Previous

Return to Football