PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Silver Linings

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Silver Linings

Postby ponyte » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:51 pm

I'm not happy with the result. We are better. We still have key weak areas. We need other receiving options when playing much better teams. The TE position needs to be more productive and dependable.

We need to have D schemes that protect our overall lack of LB speed. We will not face a O line like TCU again and thank goodness because that line exposed and exploited our lack of LB speed.

Special teams are not as painful to watch. Better but not great.

Way too many mistakes. Good teams have a way of causing mistakes. TCU caused plenty.

Might need to put Sutton in motion more. Make the D adjust on the fly. Sutton might not feel as comfortable in motion but it makes hiding double coverage almost impossible. Might free him up more.

I honestly think this team needs to improve and get some breaks to win 6.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby lollaperuna » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:27 pm

I am blown away by the melt down posts on this board today. Did anyone really believe we could win today? I thought the majority on here were being pretty realistic all week and then......

We don't have a defense yet and this should not be a surprise to ANYONE that follows this program. We will probably be in shootouts all year and our only hope is to have more offense than our opponents.

This is a much improved GOOD team, and everyone needs to relax and enjoy the ride. If you can't see what CM has accomplished and is building then you need a dose of reality.
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby AusTxPony » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:47 pm

New expectations:
We're right where we thought we'd be, 2-1, but looking better than Expected
Nebraska got beat by N. I'll, so Ark State looks beatable (worried me when Nebraska barely beat ASU)
Cincinnati, Conn. and Tulsa look beatable and that makes 6 wins
Tulane should still be winnable
Now pull off the Homecoming game v. UCF and we have a nice season
Any other wins are icing on out Bowl Cake
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:08 pm

Stallion is correct. This game proves it: Our offense is slightly ahead of schedule (the year it really starts coming together, 36 points and 463 yards on this team plus leaving plenty more yards and points on the field with all the field goals just shows you we can light it up). Our defense is right on schedule (year 1 of the rebuild...wait til Richard Moore plays next year and all these young pups have another year in them (onu, Sutton etc - still very disappointed that spears is mia). We aren't anywhere near where I want us to but let's keep it going. Arky state is a HUGE game. Pony up!
ojaipony

Postby gostangs » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:17 pm

We haven't recruited within 40 spots of TCU so no idea why anyone thought this game would even be competitive at their place, yet it was for most of the game.

We have two really glaring weaknesses - special teams is still weak in my view. But the worst is our LB's. We are going to continue to get railed by more athletic teams until we strengthen the LB spot. When a team gets inside our twenty they can almost for sure run off tackle and score. That has got to get fixed.

Arkansas st. will test us for sure. I think we win and get either 6 or seven wins this year. Substantial progress.

If chad wants a big time job he better figure out how to get some LB talent in here quick.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:39 pm

we are pretty mediocre at DB too with only 1 above average AAC level DB-that's an area we have taken some gambles on Defense in recruiting-they generally have decent athletic ability but they are more athletic projects than blue chip talent which I think we've recruited elsewhere. Maybe a step up when we need a couple of steps up. I'm pretty concerned and hope they look at some JUCOs or transfers here. Richard Moore should step right in next year at LB so that's a positive.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Previous

Return to Football