PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

in my 22 years

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: in my 22 years

Postby CA Mustang » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:48 am

Mexmustang wrote:So why didn't we eat up the clock prior to the FG attempt? The last play of the half should have been the kick off.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84675#p1252508
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Junior » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:02 pm

In all fairness, it takes a lot of team discipline to teach ALL the defenders to keep both feet on the ground in that situation.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:05 pm

That is what impressed me. For none of them to jump was almost like being taught to not move when the QB gives a hard count on 4th and short.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby 78pony » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:15 pm

Mexmustang wrote:So why didn't we eat up the clock prior to the FG attempt? The last play of the half should have been the kick off.

Malone has never been anything other than a DB coach. He was a last minute replacement for Chad's Defensive Coordinator that left after two weeks on the Hilltop. I've heard lots of excuses why we never replaced the DC with someone with DC experience, including low pay levels for our assistants, but who knows. Probably heard it from one of the assistants.

They were bigger, faster and.....much better coached!

So, your going to talk logic and FB 101 here?
78pony
Heisman

Postby footballdad » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:37 pm

78pony wrote:

Malone has never been anything other than a DB coach. He was a last minute replacement for Chad's Defensive Coordinator that left after two weeks on the Hilltop. I've heard lots of excuses why we never replaced the DC with someone with DC experience, including low pay levels for our assistants, but who knows. Probably heard it from one of the assistants.

They were bigger, faster and.....much better coached!

So, your going to talk logic and FB 101 here?

No, no, no Malone is a great coach. He just needs 2 or 3 more years to recruit enough P5 talent, which will finally enable him to hold his G5 opponents to 40 points or less. Just needs more time.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyfan777 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:32 pm

[b]PLEASE don't let that happen again!

Go Ponies!
[/b]
DeanO~
ponyfan777
Varsity

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:12 pm

I would like to know who was the DC that quit after 2 weeks. I missed that one! I do know Chad had several people turn him down for SMU positions. I agree with anyone that says this D is weak. SMU needs Linebackers!! Just cant seem to get them. I believe the D would be much better with 2 really good LBs. Im sure The SMU Coaches are trying.
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Postby sbsmith » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:48 pm

OLEJACKETFAN wrote:I would like to know who was the DC that quit after 2 weeks.

Bill Young left to be the DC at Tulsa.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Stallion » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:10 pm

Tulsa is last in the NCAA in Total Defense. SMU isn't even close to the bottom of the AAC which has 5 of the 11 worst defenses in the NCAA
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks for info on other DC. I wasn't aware of Bill Young. But it doesn't sound like he is burning things up in Tulsa. A couple of really good LBs might change things. Until SMU gets them we will need to win Shootouts!!
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:05 pm

Tulsa was No. 126 last year (3rd worst in NCAA) giving up about 32yards more than SMU in 2016. Malone needs to show SOME improvement this year -like he did last year-which I believe he will-but Morris screwed Malone in the first recruiting class by emphasizing offensive recruits and neglecting defense. SMU is at least 1 year behind the offense in the rebuild but it is of some concern that several highly touted defensive recruits in the 2015 class (redshirt Sophomores) are no-shows so far. Morris deserves much of the blame directed at Malone since they only signed a 1/2 Defensive Class in 2015
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:17 pm

We just need some good if not great help in the middle of the field.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby JoeKidd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:35 pm

We haven't landed any impact LB's (at least that have proven it yet) and this is one of the few holes in HCCM and staff's recruiting so far.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football