PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ECM's observations

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ECM's observations

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 pm

1. We forced two first half turnovers and got just 6 pts off them. That was suboptimal

2. The halftime Hail Mary was such a predictable joke of a play that would happen to us. What were the DBs doing? How does that happen? That's coached in pee wee ball. Speaking of which....

3. I was willing to largely give Van Malone a pass in years 1 and 2 because of the dearth of talent on the defensive side of the ball when he was hired...but we're in year three and giving up a gazillion yards to UNT and just getting gashed again today. I think we've recruited well on the defensive side of the ball since he was hired--when do the results show up on the field?

4. We're in year 3 of Hicks being in the system with Chad and he's ben ineffective despite having arguably the best WR in the country along with two other WRs in Quinn and Proche who could start for a lot of P5 squads. I also thought he got very good protection today- he was simply not good. Would've been a much different game if Gillins were healthy IMO

5. I think TCU is pretty good- in the first half we had to pull some trickery on the first two TDs and their D got put in a bad spot by some turnovers but they largely shut us down in the second half. I'll be interested to see how they do against Okie State next week.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: ECM's observations

Postby Pony81 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:26 pm

TCU will get up for Okie State but still lose. Don't have a good enough QB to win against the better teams.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Pony81 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Better team = top 20 team
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:30 pm

Okie St is arguably a Top 5 team right now with a Heisman candidate at QB. They had 4 receivers with over 100 yards today
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby skyscraper » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Game is in Stillwater and OSU is a buzzsaw. It could get ugly bc OSU won't leave points on the table like we did.
skyscraper

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:51 pm

But still all of the big runs right up the middle...
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Return to Football