PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Van Malone

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Van Malone

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Can't play man; can't play zone. What's a coach to do?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby giacfsp » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:23 am

footballdad wrote:Just stop. I thought we now had a dominant DL?

If you thought that, you know even less than we realized. The line is better. Improved. Deeper. But nobody has said it is dominant.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:51 pm

giacfsp wrote:

If you thought that, you know even less than we realized. The line is better. Improved. Deeper. But nobody has said it is dominant.

JasonB seemed to indicate that the defense would be dominant against non Top 25 teams on page 1 of this thread.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby footballdad » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:17 pm

giacfsp wrote:

Yes they have smart guy. I was referring to the exact comment as referenced by Rebel above. Nice try.

Luckily the Arky St. QB got hurt or the D would have easily given up 50 again, against a non-P5 offense. If Morris doesn't end up at A&M this year, he should seriously consider replacing Malone if he really wants to build an AAC championship team.

SMU, Navy, Tulsa, USF, UCF, Memphis all have plenty of offense to win the AAC in the future. It's the team that comes up with the best defense that will ultimately be the champ.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:26 pm

I will start by saying I totally agree with what footballdad says in his last paragraph.

But I am wondering if that was you in 104 who started cursing Malone when the ASU receiver caught the long pass over Sutton who was in position but just got beat. Not the coaches fault if the player is there and gets beat.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby footballdad » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:35 pm

mrydel wrote:I will start by saying I totally agree with what footballdad says in his last paragraph.

But I am wondering if that was you in 104 who started cursing Malone when the ASU receiver caught the long pass over Sutton who was in position but just got beat. Not the coaches fault if the player is there and gets beat.

Uh, no. Plenty of other people cursing and questioning Malone without me saying a word.

I'm just not one of those that thinks magic recruiting is going to fix the defensive mess, I''m just not buying it. Look no further than Ft. Worth and sweaty Gary for my reasoning. Patterson has a great defense because of his scheme and his coaching, NOT because he leads the Big12 in recruiting......because he obviously doesn't. We may get SOME better talent on the D, but it will only be marginally. The reason we have great receivers and RB's is because this offense, and Morris' MO as a really good offensive coach attracts those kids. The AAC is becoming the Big12 light, in terms of the top teams with the top coaches being 'offensive minded'.

Whatever school has the DCoordinator and the schemes to slow these other high powered offenses down will win the day. The talent on the defense of the top 3 or 4 teams will be very similar.

I just don't see it in Malone. Some do. To each his own.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:25 pm

They lined up Mack against Sutton like 5 times in a row, consistently throwing over him for big gains and that TD over his head you mentioned. We aren't even reactionary; we trot out our guys, they roll out whatever matchups they want, and then we claim it's talent.
SMUer

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:27 pm

Footballdad, didn’t you crap all over tcu’s defense in another thread? Your holes are still showing. Try harder.
smusic 00

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:31 pm

footballdad wrote:
Not sure why everybody keeps acting like TCU has some great defense? They shut out powerhouse Jackson St., and held a terrible Arkansas team to 7 points......WOW! The Patterson defense has been falling off for years, and the defense we just witnessed looked pretty mediocre as well. What is supposedly so great about it? Average DE's, only 1 good LB, DB's falling for trick plays, and giving up 300 yards to 'can't hit the broad side of a barn' Ben Hicks!

Can only imagine what Okie St & Oklahoma are going to do to that 'great' defense.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby footballdad » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:48 pm

Stallion wrote:footballdad wrote:
Not sure why everybody keeps acting like TCU has some great defense? They shut out powerhouse Jackson St., and held a terrible Arkansas team to 7 points......WOW! The Patterson defense has been falling off for years, and the defense we just witnessed looked pretty mediocre as well. What is supposedly so great about it? Average DE's, only 1 good LB, DB's falling for trick plays, and giving up 300 yards to 'can't hit the broad side of a barn' Ben Hicks!

Can only imagine what Okie St & Oklahoma are going to do to that 'great' defense.

Coming from the guy who's the big Hicks fan.....that's rich :lol:

You also conveniently left out my last comment that said we'd know whether the TCU D was real or not after the Okie St. game. Well it looks like the great defensive coach came up with a great defensive scheme against OSU, congrats to him. Actually the TCU run game, and time of possession were just as responsible for limiting the OSU point total. But you already know that......right Mr. know-it-all?

Back to the title of this thread. Just let us know when Malone comes up with ANY type of plan, and this D actually performs better than expected, against Tulsa, USF, Navy, UCF, or Memphis.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Van Malone

Postby smusic 00 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:37 am

Your last comment was a legitimate question? Stop trolling yourself. You’re the absolute worst. You called out Patterson now you praise him. Go away.

We’ve known since he fired the co-offensive coordinator that Patterson wanted to shift to a ball control offense. Sorry it took you 4 games to figure that out.
smusic 00

Previous

Return to Football