PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts for the day

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thoughts for the day

Postby stc9 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:07 am

My two cents (and I don't think it's worth that much). Didn't get to see the game live, had to watch the replay since I was coaching a lacrosse game.

1. As much as I dislike Gary, Fat Frankaphone smoker, Fatterson, he is a once in a lifetime coach. He has built TCU into a national power. In a game like today, he simply has more talent. Talent eventually wins out. I'm more surprised that they didn't pound the rock more in the second half, especially with the advantage he had size wise between his O-Line vs our D-Line.

2. I've been worried about Hick's accuracy for a while now, but I'm not ready/willing to trash a 20 or 21 year old kid working his butt off. Is he the answer? Does he need this season to really grow into his potential? These are only questions that can be answered with time.

3. HCCM's offense is potent. We can put up points against vastly superior teams. Sadly, TCU is vastly superior. I think this bodes well for us against conference opponents, but we'll need some timely stops from the defense to have a really successful season.

4. The Hail Mary... just sickening. Not going to say who should or shouldn't have been on the field... just sickening. My belief is that particular gut punch crushed our moral and it showed at the start the second half.
4A. When they went for it on 4th and short in the second half and made it. That also let a lot of air out of the players' sails.

5. As much as I want results two years ago... This is not so bad. I'm seeing progress on both sides of the ball. Remembering the %^*+ show that HCCM, DCVM... et al. Walked into 2 1/2 years ago we are a significantly more stable program with an upward trajectory. 3 seasons ago, with recruiting that the DMN referred to "as resembling a sign up list", to now is hugely different. We have sunshiny dreams, but this team is a little ahead of schedule given the history from 4-5 years ago.

That's my two cents. If you add another $3.50 to that you can buy a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Re: Thoughts for the day

Postby Pony81 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:39 am

TCU did have a much more talented team but we played them well for 3 quarters. Given this is their best team in a few years , I think we showed improvement. The biggest difference over the last few years is the talent gap..... We used to recruit against the bottom 50% of the TCU recruiting class but now it might be the bottom 2-3 players. That's now showing on the field.

But HCCM has done a great job with our program and we can still compete, DCVM is a big question mark. Our D is still getting gashed pretty bad. But I'll give him this year before I pass judgement.

Remember , when HCCM showed up,we had - with no doubt - the worst team in D1. We were Rice's B. Now we are competent and actually have more talent than some of the teams on our schedule. HCCM isn't going to A&M..... But he may leave if we win 7+ games. Hope not.

UT will leave the Big 12 for the PAC 10 in a few years - just look at all the UT fans at the USC game and you can tell the fan base is jazzed about playing in LA and PAC 12. Once that happens, TCU will be in our conference and things will go back to SMU being better not dominate but better.

But, I was proud of our guys against a much better team.....
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby jpe747 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:46 am

We are still a little weak in several positions but stronger than most competitors in others. Recruiting never ends.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:23 am

- Doubles on Sutton allowed us to do a lot of other things on offense. Nice to have other weapons.
- The Hail Mary was a horrible play. Jump for the ball. But the real killer was the inability to score TD instead of FG on a short field. 28-7 is a much different game than 19-7.
- You have to give Sutton a chance on the overthrown bomb as well as the fade in the red zone that went out of bounds. And the overthrow to Sutton on the slant in the endzone. Not committing to the fade to Sutton and not committing to Freeman in the redzone after early success cost us a lot of points.
- Our redzone should be Sutton on one side, Honey on the other, and then Freeman or DJ at QB. Run the ball or throw a jump ball to the side with no double team. Simple.
- Our DL wasn't good enough against a really heavy OL. However, they still were able to rush the passer well against the best OL we will face this season. The wide splits were the reason for both. Our LB are not big enough to win against an OL in space.
- Our OL struggled in run blocking but did fairly well in pass blocking, which was good to see.
- Hopkins did okay when he played LT in the run game, but was absolutely torched in the passing game. His blocking attempt on the targeting play was painful to watch.
- Hicks can't throw outside the seams on sideline routes past the line of scrimmage. We need to not even bother attempting that throw.
- Very impressed with the fight of the team to come back and score to take the 22-21 lead before the Hail Mary, and in the third quarter to come back and make it a one score game when it looked like things were going to get out of hand.
- Onu made a couple of young player mistakes out there that cost us TDs (bit on jumping a route on a throw and got picked by the ref), but he is going to be a very good player.
- We are really struggling at MLB. Rhone is solid against "OK" teams, but gets dominated against better teams. He isn't athletic enough to evade blocks by OL in space, and he isn't quick enough to get to the outside and help.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MV pony » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Thought for the day: 2017 is actually rebuild year 30.
MV pony
All-American

Return to Football