PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

On to Arkansas State

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: On to Arkansas State

Postby ojaipony » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:01 am

Must win game. Guys like Lawler (given what mrydel wrote) and Sutton (who I'm sure will be very motivated) need to have monster games (Wyatt, too). I expect a very small SMU crowd (sadly) so our guys are going to have to come out high energy (ahem, coaches).
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:04 am

ojaipony wrote:Must win game. Guys like Lawler (given what mrydel wrote) and Sutton (who I'm sure will be very motivated) need to have monster games (Wyatt, too). I expect a very small SMU crowd (sadly) so our guys are going to have to come out high energy (ahem, coaches).

Stop it with the crowd already.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:17 am

Pony Boss wrote:
ojaipony wrote:Must win game. Guys like Lawler (given what mrydel wrote) and Sutton (who I'm sure will be very motivated) need to have monster games (Wyatt, too). I expect a very small SMU crowd (sadly) so our guys are going to have to come out high energy (ahem, coaches).

Stop it with the crowd already.

Let's wager we don't have more than 10,000 SMU fans in the stadium. Just calling out our pathetic marketing. I'll be there. Ponyfans will be there.
ojaipony

Postby SMUstang07 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:19 am

Spread opened at -5 now at -4.5
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:40 am

that's basically a home field advantage spread
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMUer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:00 pm

College soccer teams win national championships with less than 3,000 fans in attendance. How do they do that!?! Why even take the field at that point? Or care? It's beyond me...

NCAA Soccer Attendance
SMUer

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:40 pm

College soccer is not promoted and frankly the standard is very poor. But they play the games to compete, and they are grateful to everyone who comes to watch. There is no feeling of entitlement. I went all the time when I was at SMU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby chiefsfan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:07 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Does anyone know if they are much better than UNT or about the same?

Please don't compare us to NTSUNT. We find it absolutely insulting to be even considered on level with a program that hasn't beaten us since 2004. We beat them 8 straight years before they bolted for CUSA, and it's not like UNT football has done anything really of note since they moved.

We don't like them, they don't like us, we'll probably never play again. Its one of those sort of relationships.

We beat up on UCF last year in the Bowl, but I'm not entirely sure the Knights knew they had a game that day. (They barely took part in any bowl activities, and generally seemed disinterested) The biggest problem we have to overcome is that we are historically god awful on the road in OOC Play. We're amazing on the road in league play, losing twice on the road in like the last 6 seasons in the Sun Belt, and we're good in OOC Home games generally. For some reason, we can't beat anyone on the road. Part of that is prototypical G5 non conference scheduling with a body bag game a year, but we also lost to Utah State and Memphis a couple times in that time when both programs were horrible.

I anticipate we'll throw the ball a ton, mostly on two to three step drops. We've got a little 5'5 Running back that can give teams trouble in space, but we're generally not good running in short yardage situations. We have to pass to be successful. QB is very good at limiting mistakes, and has generally answered questions about his arm strength heading into the year. Given you guys score on everyone and their dog, my guess is this is a high scoring game.
chiefsfan
Recruit

Postby SmooBoy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:19 pm

chiefsfan wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Does anyone know if they are much better than UNT or about the same?

Please don't compare us to NTSUNT. We find it absolutely insulting to be even considered on level with a program that hasn't beaten us since 2004. We beat them 8 straight years before they bolted for CUSA, and it's not like UNT football has done anything really of note since they moved.

We don't like them, they don't like us, we'll probably never play again. Its one of those sort of relationships.

We beat up on UCF last year in the Bowl, but I'm not entirely sure the Knights knew they had a game that day. (They barely took part in any bowl activities, and generally seemed disinterested) The biggest problem we have to overcome is that we are historically god awful on the road in OOC Play. We're amazing on the road in league play, losing twice on the road in like the last 6 seasons in the Sun Belt, and we're good in OOC Home games generally. For some reason, we can't beat anyone on the road. Part of that is prototypical G5 non conference scheduling with a body bag game a year, but we also lost to Utah State and Memphis a couple times in that time when both programs were horrible.

I anticipate we'll throw the ball a ton, mostly on two to three step drops. We've got a little 5'5 Running back that can give teams trouble in space, but we're generally not good running in short yardage situations. We have to pass to be successful. QB is very good at limiting mistakes, and has generally answered questions about his arm strength heading into the year. Given you guys score on everyone and their dog, my guess is this is a high scoring game.

ntsu has a bit of a complex, but it's all good. Thx for the informative post and hope to see you Saturday.
SmooBoy

Postby smustatesman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:07 pm

Panic time ! Lets give them bad directions to Ford Stadium. Maybe they'll show up late and have to forfeit the game. :P
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby chiefsfan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:01 pm

smustatesman wrote:Panic time ! Lets give them bad directions to Ford Stadium. Maybe they'll show up late and have to forfeit the game. :P

Good luck with that. The Piglets from the Northwest Part of Arkansas are in Dallas that morning to play CryAggie. We're pretty time this is the first time in about 100 years that both our two programs are in the same city at the same time. Rest assured, each will do their best to stay far away from the other.

A few of our fans have talked about volunteering to give Razorback fans "rides" then driving straight west from Dallas, and finding a nice secluded stretch of the road to leave them.
chiefsfan
Recruit

Postby sbsmith » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:08 pm

chiefsfan wrote:
Good luck with that. The Piglets from the Northwest Part of Arkansas are in Dallas that morning to play CryAggie. We're pretty time this is the first time in about 100 years that both our two programs are in the same city at the same time. Rest assured, each will do their best to stay far away from the other.

The Pigs will be playing in Arlington not Dallas.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby chiefsfan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:11 pm

sbsmith wrote:
chiefsfan wrote:

The Pigs will be playing in Arlington not Dallas.

I don't pretend to understand the difference between Arlington and Dallas. Sorry. To us everything in the Dallas area is well...Dallas.
chiefsfan
Recruit

Postby edwa » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:09 am

its family weekend, attendance will be UP
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:28 am

Yes, at both the Galleria and Northpark
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel