PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Running backs

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Running backs

Postby Corso » Mon Aug 13, 2001 4:34 pm

Everything is set in the backfield, with Briggs, Pipkins and Kincade at tailback, right?

Not so fast, my friends.

What do you think about the idea of making Briggs into a fullback and throwing Freeman back to tailback? He obviously is more comfortable there, (even as a WR last year, he played a little tailback and flourished), and it would be a way to get him the ball more often without having to hope and pray that he makes the catch downfield, something at which he's .... well .... inconsistent. I think Briggs could make a solid fullback, because he's a strong blocker (he weighs 225), catches the ball well out of the backfield and would be a nice change of pace to Freeman. Imagine being a defensive player, chasing Free all over the field and then trying to stop Briggs when he works up a head of steam?

This is unlikely, because Cavan and the staff love Briggs, and I think he's a fine player. But with all the receivers we have, this might be a way to increase the speed on offense and get the ball -- safely -- into Johnnie Freeman's hands more often.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Re: Running backs

Postby PK » Mon Aug 13, 2001 4:48 pm

I like the concept Corso...but in your own words, not so fast my friend. Without a solid o-line capable of consistantly making BIG holes, Free is S.O.L.! That's why he is now at WR. He just isn't big enough to make a hole where one doesn't exist. Better he practice long and hard at CATCHING the ball. Out in the open field with the ball in his hands...just the thought takes one's breath away!!

Hopefully our o-line makes giant strides this year and breaks out into a big, strong, cohesive unit. If that happens, the o-line will be the MVP's this year.

Go Mustangs...get angry, get mean. As BUS says...attitude is everything.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 08-13-2001).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jettison » Mon Aug 13, 2001 6:17 pm

<B>Without a solid o-line capable of consistantly making BIG holes, Free is S.O.L.! That's why he is now at WR. He just isn't big enough to make a hole where one doesn't exist. </B>[/QUOTE]

Actually, the few chances JFree has gotten at running back, decent line or not, he has somehow (instinctively?) broken free for large gains & tds more often than not. Just like I was surprised when freshman were moving into the dorms two years ago and Freeman was playing classical piano in the foyer, I am always surprised he finds open ground the few chances he gets when HANDED the ball.

Until it is proven that he is NOT an effective running back, I actually like this idea. Size, speed, prototypes, blah blah blah... who cares if it works. I haven't seen any of the new receiving corps in person, but it is one of the positions that actually seem a surplus for SMU. Why not have an open mind about this? I think having two potential 1000 yard rushers in the backfield only helps create a more balanced attack. Granted we have no Cal-St Northridges on our schedule this year, but go back to that game and remember how fun the offense and it's diverse weapons were to watch.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Mon Aug 13, 2001 7:00 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jettison:
<B>
Until it is proven that he is NOT an effective running back, I actually like this idea. Size, speed, prototypes, blah blah blah... who cares if it works. I haven't seen any of the new receiving corps in person, but it is one of the positions that actually seem a surplus for SMU.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't disagree with you jettison, at least not in principle. JFree is especially effective (and I never said he was not effective) in a sweep, but I remember way too many times when our coaches would call a play with Briggs running the sweep (too slow) for minus yards and then turn around and run freeman up the middle of our backfield (I say backfield because there was NO hole and he could not get past the line of scrimmage) for more minus yards.

We do have a lot of receivers (and most of them are good), but with the exception of the Comet, most don't come close to Jfree's speed. I think we should use him where ever he can do the most good. If as tailback he can do some damage to the other side...more power to him. I still think though that the o-line performance will be critical regardless. With four speedy WRs and Hampton at TE in on the same play, the other team's defense will be in trouble...if Luker can get enough time to pick them apart.

The more I think about it the more excited I'm getting for the season to get started!!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby PonyExpress » Mon Aug 13, 2001 8:25 pm

From what I've read on PonyFans.com and heard from a buddy who's been out to a practice, the freshmen can all run. I've heard Jay Taylor and Cedric Vinson are as fast as Comet, and that Trey Griffin is as fast as anyone on the team, with the possible exception of Kevin Garrett. And we all know how fast Comet is, so this is all very encouraging. I say we put JFree in the backfield and let him do a little Thunder and Lightning routine with Briggs.

I'll be down for at least two games this season, hopefully more. Hope I get a chance to see my theory put to the test.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Mon Aug 13, 2001 8:35 pm

OK...you guys have convinced me. JFree for tailback. Just hope the coaches don't forget who is "Thunder" and who is "Lightening". Image

Go Mustangs, beat the hell outa L.Tech!!!!!
PK

Postby smudad » Mon Aug 13, 2001 9:02 pm

Two amd a half reasons he should be moved back to RB. He is said to have small hands. That's no great asset, even at RB - but at receiver it's fatal. Only God can fix that.
Second, it's just too late for him to learn good receiver instincts. Last year on too many occasions he caused interceptions by either breaking off routes, jumping at balls or just plain giving up the route. Even with his speed he's just too far behind in learning the position. And, he was no better at the end of the season than at the first. He cost us two interceptions in Houston alone for these reasons.
A third reason is more passive. He costs other more experienced, sure handed, sure 'routed' receivers playing time. Luker will hit receivers that are where they are supposed to be.

[This message has been edited by smudad (edited 08-13-2001).]
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby jettison » Tue Aug 14, 2001 10:37 am

I think I remember a while ago that Free's roommate's parents (aka joyous) felt that Free himself believed he was a running back, or at least felt more comfortable. I think it's time we free Free!

oh goodness...
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby Joyous » Thu Aug 16, 2001 8:44 am

Hey Jettison - that was a good one. And on top of that you have a Great Memory!
Joyous
Varsity

Postby jettison » Thu Aug 16, 2001 10:51 am

Picturesque!
jettison
Junior Varsity

Return to Football