PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU 3-1...So what do you think?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU 3-1...So what do you think?

Postby Arkpony » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:42 am

We just might have a 60 percent passer (or better) if he ever gets to play.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:12 am

Digetydog wrote:Hicks has the job because his misses don’t get picked off. 10 TDS vs 3 INT. 250 yds per game.

Agreed it just isn't that easy to bench a 3-1 QB with the most experience even if he isn't perfect.

Digetydog wrote:Young secondary is going to cost smu a winnable game.

I almost had to change my Depends when Jordan Wyatt was down with an injury.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby TidePony » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:08 am

The game was long, hot, and frustrating at times, but... we're 3-1. We ARE trending up - Thanks to Chad and his staff.

Best things about last night:

Rushing game improved
Offensive line improved
Defensive line improved
Receivers played well
Special teams improved
The MUSTANG neighing was spot on (but louder!)

For the spirit staff:
Band needs to be on a mic that doesn't echo

Cheerleaders need to come up with a kick off chant (like Roll Tide Roll!) with either Go 'Stangs Go or Run 'Stangs Run!

UConn you're next! PonyUp!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Black Horseshoe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:10 am

Can scout uconn as they play ECU today at 11 on espnu
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:23 am

- North Texas and ASU are both going to compete for their conference titles, so they are both very solid wins.
- ASU as a team was a little better than UNT.
- Entered the game missing our 2nd (Davis) and 3rd (Lancaster) best corners, and Wyatt (1) and Sutton (4) went in and out during the game. Good job by the defense considering the lack of depth.
- ASU picked on Sutton two straight drives, and then I think Van Malone did a good job covering that up with some man-zone mix as the game went along.
- Onu is very good and will be an all-conference safety his last two seasons at SMU.
- We have a bye after the Houston game. I suspect that at that point, the staff will find a way to get McQueen into the starting lineup and Delano Robinson will see a lot more PT.
- Very limited blitzing today, the few we saw came from the corners.
- ASU was not able to run the ball at all outside of the QB draw until we dropped everyone off in pass coverage. Very promising to see after the TCU game.
- Disappointed in the lack of pressure from the d-line in 4 vs 5 situations, although ASU did leave a back in to block most of the time. Got better as the game went on, but the QB had all day on a couple of throws early that he made us pay for.
- It is amazing that we have improved so much at OL and skill position that we can all be disappointed in QB play but still put up 40 points and 500 yards of offense.
- If Hicks completed 60% of his passes, which means just hitting the open throws that he misses now, this offense would easily hit 60 points per game.
- Disappointing that Peavey and DJ haven't shown enough to put pressure on Hicks as a starter.
- We continue to run to the weaker side of the line (right side) most of the time.
- The Hopkins and Todora combo on the right was much better in run blocking situations. But Todora really struggled in pass blocking, especially early. I still don't think we have found the right solution. K Smith must be the only viable LT backup, because otherwise he would be given a shot.
- Mixon is starting to have a little more of an influence. Hopefully he has gotten his feet wet and will play an important role as we head into conference play.
JasonB

Postby JoeKidd » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:42 am

The only complaint about Hicks performance I have is the one time he missed Courtland in the back of the end zone and we ended up I believe kicking a field goal.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Treadway21 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:44 am

Digetydog wrote:Hicks has the job because his misses don’t get picked off. 10 TDS vs 3 INT. 250 yds per game.

Young secondary is going to cost smu a winnable game.

Our kicker may lose is a winnable game. Unacceptable to miss so many extra points - not to mention regular chip shot field goals.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby PonySnob » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:00 am

Feel bad for Courtland not getting the ball much in 3 out of 4 games this seasob
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby ebrooks11 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:00 am

Hicks was better today. The struggles in the red zone concern me though. Also Jordan Wyatt leads the country in making an injury look way worse than it really is.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:31 am

ebrooks11 wrote:Hicks was better today. The struggles in the red zone concern me though. Also Jordan Wyatt leads the country in making an injury look way worse than it really is.

Not sure about that. If he is getting stingers, there are different levels. It is what took me out of the game. I would often go unconscious when it happened. Went in and out of a game 3 times once similar to him last night until I could not go anymore. Of course I have no idea as to the extent of his injury but I can certainly relate.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Digetydog » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:25 am

Smu is 5th in the Nation in scoring offense. Regardless of who plays QB, the Mustangs should put up points on everyone left on the schedule.

The win/loss ratio isn’t going to be dependent upon Hucks, Gillins, or Peavey. It will depend on the ability of the defense to stop Navy, UCF, Memphis, and Tulsa.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyscott » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:39 am

JasonB wrote:- North Texas and ASU are both going to compete for their conference titles, so they are both very solid wins.
- ASU as a team was a little better than UNT.
- Entered the game missing our 2nd (Davis) and 3rd (Lancaster) best corners, and Wyatt (1) and Sutton (4) went in and out during the game. Good job by the defense considering the lack of depth.
- ASU picked on Sutton two straight drives, and then I think Van Malone did a good job covering that up with some man-zone mix as the game went along.
- Onu is very good and will be an all-conference safety his last two seasons at SMU.
- We have a bye after the Houston game. I suspect that at that point, the staff will find a way to get McQueen into the starting lineup and Delano Robinson will see a lot more PT.
- Very limited blitzing today, the few we saw came from the corners.
- ASU was not able to run the ball at all outside of the QB draw until we dropped everyone off in pass coverage. Very promising to see after the TCU game.
- Disappointed in the lack of pressure from the d-line in 4 vs 5 situations, although ASU did leave a back in to block most of the time. Got better as the game went on, but the QB had all day on a couple of throws early that he made us pay for.
- It is amazing that we have improved so much at OL and skill position that we can all be disappointed in QB play but still put up 40 points and 500 yards of offense.
- If Hicks completed 60% of his passes, which means just hitting the open throws that he misses now, this offense would easily hit 60 points per game.
- Disappointing that Peavey and DJ haven't shown enough to put pressure on Hicks as a starter.
- We continue to run to the weaker side of the line (right side) most of the time.
- The Hopkins and Todora combo on the right was much better in run blocking situations. But Todora really struggled in pass blocking, especially early. I still don't think we have found the right solution. K Smith must be the only viable LT backup, because otherwise he would be given a shot.
- Mixon is starting to have a little more of an influence. Hopefully he has gotten his feet wet and will play an important role as we head into conference play.

Good points Jason......as I always look forward to your game observations...thanks as always.
ponyscott

Postby jimhagle » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:43 am

I am shocked too that Peavy or Gillins haven't been able to get playing time after all of the hoopla surrounding them coming here. Hicks is an average QB-not much more than that. And that speaks volumes about our other QBs sadly. And once again why did we burn redshirts on Medlock and Page if we didn't need them this year and it appears we don't?
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:56 am

Nacho wrote:If their qb had been completely healthy in the second half would have been a different game. He was very impressive.

he was impressive because Eric Sutton is an inexperienced, struggling backup CB. They picked him a part for 2 TDs and about 100 yards. Otherwise SMU's defense played fine. In fact, I'd grade their QBs down a grade because they spent all nite throwing against Jordan Wyatt when they should have attacked Eric Sutton all nite long. Big mistake
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ReedFrawg » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Congrats on the win! Just what the doctor ordered
ReedFrawg
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football