PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU v UConn game thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU v UConn game thread

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:46 am

Some of you on this board display zero comprehension of where this program is or what its about.

"Why do you think we run the ball so much?"
ANSWER:
Because that's what Chad Morris' version of the spread Offense is about-its a run first-explosive big play offense that sets up the pass with a strong running game

"Why were our CBs giving so much cushion to the Receivers:"
ANSWER:
Because our two starting CBs have started 2 games and 3 games in their College Football career.

SMU is in the process of a total rebuild-we are in essence in the 3rd year of the total rebuild on Offense and the 2nd year of the Total rebuild on Defense. We are ahead of schedule in this rebuild which most neutral observers would likely say would take 4-5 years at a school like SMU. We still aren't at the top of the AAC in talent-I'd say there are about 5-6 schools on our schedule or in the AAC who arguably have better recruited talent than SMU. TCU, USF, UCF, UH, Memphis and then based upon 30 years experience you add Navy in there because they aren't restricted by NCAA recruiting limitations. Cincy is undergoing a Coaching change but they are close to our talent level

But I do love a guy with 75 posts on ponyfans named "Wild Mustang" telling us "dumbasses" about everything that's wrong about the program. But he did prove it wasn't just because he was drunk yesterday-he's just as clueless when he's sober on Sunday morning
Last edited by Stallion on Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:52 am

Wild Mustang wrote:It is time to wake up. Our QB is bad. Our play calling is way too inconsistent. Hicks is just flat out bad. Hicks is no leader. Hicks is not a talented QB. I am not sure why Chad Morris keeps going with Ben Hicks. I would like to think that most other coaches would not tolerate his inconsistency and poor decisions. I want Hicks to be good, but unfortunately he is just not.

Compared to what?
It's not like we have Deshaun Watson sitting on our bench.
Hicks is not Joe Montana or Tom Brady.
But is your advice to bench a 4-1 quarterback that had 4 TD's and no INT's yesterday?
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jimhagle » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:57 am

mustangxc wrote:mrydel has already said that Peavy is probably our most talented QB but apparently has difficulty learning the playbook and probably the reason that keeps him from starting.

Makes one wonder if he ever plays here at all.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:00 pm

I'd expect a FCS transfer.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby jimhagle » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Yes, we started some young CBs yesterday but we were told these guys had talent when we recruited them and it rarely showed yesterday. The secondary has to get better once and for all. Onu is pretty solid as is Wyatt but that is nowhere near enough.
jimhagle
Heisman

SMU v UConn game thread

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:08 pm

jimhagle wrote:
mustangxc wrote:mrydel has already said that Peavy is probably our most talented QB but apparently has difficulty learning the playbook and probably the reason that keeps him from starting.

Makes one wonder if he ever plays here at all.

We had no fewer than 4 QBs in my class alone that never saw the field. But I think it is pretty risky not to have someone on the bench in case the starter gets hurt. And in our case we have 2 capable on the bench regardless of who is in the field. Remember last year?

I am a Peavy fan but see no reason to change from Hicks at this time. Averaging 48+ a game and good TD/INT ratio. What more do we want? I just wish he had the running capability that both Rafe and DJ could offer.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:15 pm

Eric Sutton had 1 other offer from Army. Christian Davis had 5 offers from schools like Army, Navy, Rice, Northwestern. Army and Navy hand out about 500-600 offers

Although I think these guys can develop its going to take awhile. I've said numerous times that we need to take a step-up in our DB recruiting. We are getting much better quality recruits at every Offensive position plus the Defensive Line.

Stallion

Postby indianmustang » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:21 pm

Amazing ,after a win we are arguing like a loss.
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:42 pm

I'm not sure I've ever seen an SMU player being such a "lightening rod" as Ben Hicks before. He's clearly improved by leaps and bounds from early last year yet every game he takes considerable criticism. I'm sure he'll get torched in every loss in his career. I think a lot of SMU fans jumped on him as a freshman and don't want to admit they were wrong-that players can make significant improvement over their career with experience. SMU has had almost an uninterrupted 30 years of expecting too much from inexperienced freshman/sophomore QBs. Traditionally, SMU has given up on QBs too early and watched them go somewhere else and develop into quality QBs. We haven't had a 3-4 year starting QB in decades except for Ramon-but remember he was benched at key parts of his Senior year in favor of Chris Sanders. I think you win in College Football with experienced Junior/Senior QBs and sometimes you have to put up with the growing pains until you get there

Stallion

Postby ebrooks11 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:51 pm

Stallion wrote:I'm not sure I've ever seen an SMU player being such a "lightening rod" as Ben Hicks before. He's clearly improved by leaps and bounds from early last year yet every game he takes considerable criticism. I'm sure he'll get torched in every loss in his career. I think a lot of SMU fans jumped on him as a freshman and don't want to admit they were wrong-that players can make significant improvement over their career with experience. SMU has had almost an uninterrupted 30 years of expecting too much from freshman/sophomore QBs. Traditionally, SMU has giving up on QBs too early and watched them go somewhere else and develop into quality QBs. We haven't had a 3-4 year starting QB in decades except for Ramon-but remember he was benched at key parts of his Senior year in favor of Chris Sanders. I think you win in College Football with experienced Junior/Senior QBs

I was critical of him the first few games on completion percentage and lack of effectiveness in the red zone and still think those were valid arguments. I thought yesterday he played quite a bit better and his completion percentage was helped by a crazy amount of bubble screens. I think a lot of the problem is the pre season hype of Gillens and Peavy and wanting to see them as opposed to not wanting Ben.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:04 pm

The humorous thing is in the distant past a 50% completion average was the benchmark. Then everyone started throwing the bubble screens and using short tosses to RBs more and the averages went up. Clemson was known for the jet sweep with Watson flipping the ball forward 12 inches which is a completion. I do not think we have run that one yet this year. The average will go up as we use the outside short passes to loosen up the defense for the run game.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby lollaperuna » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:21 pm

footballdad is conspicuously absent on this thread. Could it be the 4-1 record? :lol:
lollaperuna
All-American

Postby skyscraper » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:43 pm

I would've thought the first series of the second half with Gillins looking like trash would've hushed the Hicks haters, but apparently not.
skyscraper

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:00 pm

uc has ucf this weekend and then an off weekend like we do, should make things interesting.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 pm

skyscraper wrote:I would've thought the first series of the second half with Gillins looking like trash would've hushed the Hicks haters, but apparently not.

I am not a Hicks fan but thought he was good yesterday. I am good with him now. Gillins showed nothing yesterday. He looks like he's about as fast as Hicks right now. Maybe the toe thing got him.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football