PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Prediction

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Prediction

Postby leopold » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:31 pm

Look, I could easily go on a thousand word rant right now but I’ll keep it short and say this:

I have said that I think we have a better team right now than Houston (who we beat last year), Cincinnati, and Tulsa - amongst others.

Let us be 7-1 going into the UCF game. Half the stands will be representatives of P5 schools looking at him as a potential HC - especially considering our lackadaisical ticket sales.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:36 pm

We could be sold out and it wouldn't matter. When chad sees the right opportunity he will take it.

We will be a stepping stone until we get in a real conference. Attendance outside the loyalist will follow when we have actually achieved something notable.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby leopold » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:50 pm

They held up fine last year, didn’t they big guy.

It’s up to your school to prove me wrong.
Last edited by leopold on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:52 pm

gostangs wrote:We could be sold out and it wouldn't matter. When chad sees the right opportunity he will take it.

We will be a stepping stone until we get in a real conference. Attendance outside the loyalist will follow when we have actually achieved something notable.

That’s the point I was making.

Chad can coach, and anybody can see that.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dwan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:57 pm

I agree Chad will be very high on every ADs list in the south and Texas with 7-8 wins. But unless he gets to 10 wins, he will not be near the top of big money boosters lists. That in my opinion will be his challenge. Even at A&M, they would take a run at Chip Kelly, Bob Stoops, or even Mike Gundy. Have to imagine that Tennessee will be open, ole Miss will be open, and possibly A&M and even LSU. There will be a lot of places in the southeast and Texas looking, 7 or 8 wins, he gone.
Dwan
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:33 pm

Oregon Mustang wrote:Well, if he is planning on going to an SEC school he better be prepared to waive the A&M escape clause. No way any of those schools, and there will be several, will accept that. His best bet would be Big 12 but I don't see any openings there now that Tech is showing signs of life.

Agreed. It's the SEC.

I think his destination is Arky, LSU or ideally CS.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Dwan wrote:There will be a lot of places in the southeast and Texas looking, 7 or 8 wins, he gone.

I think the threshold is lower. If we don't get to 7 or 8 wins, it won't be because of our offense.

Replace your D-coordinator, problem solved.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SMU Football Blog » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:48 pm

Booster Ego is a huge factor in these things. You saw it last year. Baylor would have been much better off taking Morris over Rhule, but there were a lot of Baylor people that couldn't stomach taking a coach that everyone knew was a rising star but hadn't won a lot. They believed their S*%t didn't stink and they should be able to get whoever they want.

Unless Morris wins 10 games, I have a hard time believing Aggie Boosters won't believe they should do better than Chad Morris. Aggie booster is going to be convinced they should get Chip Kelly.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:55 pm

Too bad it was overlooked but SMU's Front 7 played a fabulous game yesterday. Its overlooked because again the defense is one year behind in the rebuild and so we are still trying to integrate untested CBs and DBs into our system. I see a lot of improvement-and was not shocked at all that the inexperienced secondary got torched. I expected it. Doesn't mean Defense isn't making strides. They are. Just means we are still building defensively at a few positions. I think Onu has established he is very strong in run defense-not so convinced at pass defense. Clemons had a very poor outing yesterday which was disappointing
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Dwan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:01 pm

NAILED IT!!!

On September 30th

You are welcome.
Dwan
Heisman

Postby leopold » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:28 pm

I’m sorry, what are talking about?
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:34 pm

If it's going to be Sonny, then just make the announcement and let's see if he can get involved before the bowl game. Would be nice if Traylor could be retained on staff but I just want this team to perform well in Frisco and send our seniors out on a high. They have experienced more than their fair share of lows during their time at SMU
Charleston Pony

Postby Dwan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Desperation makes common bedfellows.

Brightside, you take away his experience at Cal and he makes some sense. And Cal was a horrible fit for him and then they changed their admission policy after he was hired. It was a marriage that was doomed from the beginning. And coaching Goff is a positive.

It makes sense, head coach who has had success before, strong ties and to Texas, and likely to stay. I wish he wasn’t an air raid guy as that means a few years trying I get guys who fit his system.The 30 year rebuild just added a few more years.

Wish we took a risk in this hire, we have to take risks if we want to survive. This is a very conservative hire.
Dwan
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:10 pm

He spent a year at TCU-hope he modifies his Offense
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:17 pm

If this is true, not a bad hire. From what I saw at La Tech and Cal his offense was more of a traditional spread than a true air raid. He or Traylor would be decent choices imo.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Football