PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Random observations re: UCONN

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Random observations re: UCONN

Postby stc9 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:41 pm

A) SMU is more talented than UCONN, that is why we won. Eventually, talent wins out. Our problem is that we played the first 3 quarters in a confused malaise wondering why UCONN was putting up a fight.

B) Christian Davis had a brutal 23 seconds (game clock time). With a play that started with 14 seconds left in the 3rd quarter, he badly missed a tackle on the RB running a wheel route. The next play (start of the 4th quarter) UCONN torched him for 59 yards and a TD. They then went for two and yes torched him again.

C) Four huge special teams plays that had an impact on the game:
- The roughing the kicker call, where Sackville was steam rolled. Lead to an SMU touchdown.
- Start of the second half, after a three & out, Sackville had a short punt. This gave UCONN a short field where they cut the lead to 21-17.
- 7:35 remaining in the game and Becker blocks the punt. The next play was a huge completion to Proche. Immediately following this, West got free and ran one in. All set up by the lift a big special teams play gave us.
- On the ensuing kickoff, we recovered a fumble and salted the game away.

D) On 15 of UCONN's completed passes, SMU defenders were 5 or more yards away when the receiver caught the ball. That is a big window for any opposing QB to fit the ball into. UCONN also had 7 completions, where the QB held the ball 3 seconds or less (reminded me of the first quarter against NTSU - QB catches the ball and delivers the ball without hesitation).

E) SMU completed the bubble screen 10 times for +/- 37 yards. 8 in the first half for 32 yards.

F) Not including special teams, SMU missed as many tackles in the 3rd quarter as they did for the entire first half (6 in the first half to 6 in the 3rd quarter). I stopped counting at the start of the 4th quarter.

G) UCONN had 2 yards rushing at the start of the second half.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Re: Random observations re: UCONN

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:04 am

Nobody should be surprised our inexperienced CBs got torched. The rest of the Defense played solid Defense
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:26 am

We seemed to play a lot of deep zone when they were hitting underneath routes for first downs. I assume we did it to protect the DBs.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby stc9 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:50 am

Stallion wrote:Nobody should be surprised our inexperienced CBs got torched. The rest of the Defense played solid Defense

Playing these young guys is going to be beneficial for us in the long run. You made the comment several times in the past couple of years that the defense is 1 year behind the offense in recruiting. So, if we look at this as the same growing pains we saw last year on offense, then things aren't too bad.

We got the win. More importantly, when things started to get tense we got mentally tougher and put the game away. Two seasons ago, wouldn't have happened. Young guys got lots of minutes to help them grow and develop.
stc9
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:20 pm

stc9 wrote:
Stallion wrote:Nobody should be surprised our inexperienced CBs got torched. The rest of the Defense played solid Defense

Playing these young guys is going to be beneficial for us in the long run. You made the comment several times in the past couple of years that the defense is 1 year behind the offense in recruiting. So, if we look at this as the same growing pains we saw last year on offense, then things aren't too bad.

We got the win. More importantly, when things started to get tense we got mentally tougher and put the game away. Two seasons ago, wouldn't have happened. Young guys got lots of minutes to help them grow and develop.

I completely agree. I think Christian Davis will get better for this, he has the physical skills. Remember Wyatt wasn't that good at first and I also remember our juco from jj era a few years ago (not Moore but the other one, I can't remember his name right now) even getting torched against Texas tech but went on to be an NFL caliber cb. Like the OL, that position (cb) takes some time to develop. If one has the body and skills, they can't help but get better.
ojaipony

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:39 pm

ojaipony wrote:
(not Moore but the other one, I can't remember his name right now)

Do you mean Chris Banjo? He plays for the Saints now.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby stc9 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:40 pm

H-E-B Mustang wrote:
ojaipony wrote:
(not Moore but the other one, I can't remember his name right now)

Do you mean Chris Banjo? He plays for the Saints now.

Or was it Acker
stc9
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:51 pm

It was Crawford-JUCOs generally have the same problem as other inexperienced players getting used to speed of the game especially in the first half of their Junior season
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Return to Football