PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hicks haters -- explain yourself

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Hicks haters -- explain yourself

Postby skyscraper » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:15 pm

I really don't get the venom and s---talking of Hicks.
He's not an All-American, but he's not a trainwreck either.
Please explain your rationale for your hatred of him so I and others can try and understand.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Hicks haters -- explain yourself

Postby gostangs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:00 pm

There is no rational. It's just a lack of football knowledge.
gostangs

Postby PonyPatrol » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:37 pm

IIRC Hicks is #4 in the country in passing TDs and #25 in passing yards. Total QBR is somewhere around #40. For all the hating, he's on pace for 34-7 with >3,000 yards as a sophomore. Oh, and he's 4-1. No doubt he's missed a few throws each game, but those numbers indicate he's more than competent.

More fun stats?

Sutton #1 in receiving TDs.

SMU is #1 in the country in sacks.

SMU is #127 in pass defense.
PonyPatrol
All-American

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:58 pm

No need to repeat my posts. Just read the posts already made on HIcks.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:09 pm

Here's one of your posts:

Change QB to Ke'Mon Freeman Now!
by Wild Mustang » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:10 am
It is time for a change at QB. Ke'Mon Freeman should be our QB. Why not? The kid was a QB in High School. I recognize that most kids who play any position in college played QB in High School since they were probably one of the best athletes on their High School Team. Yes Freeman has been playing RB so far at SMU... Why not try him at QB? I recognize that Freeman was put in to maybe run a few select plays in the Wildcat formation. Not sure if Ke'Mon Freeman can throw, but he has to be better than Ben Hicks.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby gostangs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:10 pm

Exhibit a - See my post above about lack of knowledge....
gostangs

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:33 pm

Wow! You guys have a lot of time on your hands... That is hilarious :) Bringing up my posts from last season. Last season Hicks was horrible and yes I was calling for Freeman to be our QB. I stand behind those comments. If you watched Hicks last year I am surprised that you did not call for Freeman to replace Hicks. Last season Hicks was flat out terrible. You can ignore that if you want, but trying anyone else at QB would have been an upgrade in my opinion at the time. Last season Hicks threw so many interceptions that I found myself cringing every time that he dropped back to pass. You guys must have a short memory.

Wish that instead of taking the time to bring up posts from last season or talking about the "Pony Express Days" (that is unfortunately ancient history) or talking about the "June Jones Days" ... I wish that we could talk about this season. This season Ben Hicks has not won games for SMU. Fortunately other SMU Players have stepped up and helped SMU win games. If SMU had a servicable QB this season our offense could be unstoppable. Think about that.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Actually thought you might be Rafe's Daddy since you joined just about the time he transferred to SMU

But Hicks didn't throw interceptions all year long. He was thrown into a difficult situation as a Freshman QB with no experience. At about the time of your post above SMU had no other options at QB so the criticism of playing Hicks was ridiculous. Since that post he has improved as much as any player on the team:

First 5 Games: 4 TDs/9 Interceptions
After First 5 Games: 29 TDs/9 Interceptions

That's pretty incredible improvement and you've got to hand it to the Coaching staff that didn't panic like you and many more critics. Somehow he actually got us in Bowl contention and we almost got us there. He just didn't quite get it done in Tulsa despite a strong performance. Love him or hate him Ben kept the program moving in the right direction which was essential in a total rebuild. He's the best option that we got right now.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:58 pm

Don't worry. I am definitely not Rafe Peavy's Dad. I barely know anything about the guy other than what other posters have been saying about him after he transferred to SMU. There were a few SMU Alums from Arkansas that were talking Peavy up here and I was hoping that there was some substance to what they were saying. I am just a loyal SMU Alum who has never liked Hicks. We all want the best for SMU. Happy that we are winning games. It has been a long time. My expectations are just a little higher than most on this board. We should have wins against the teams that we have beaten this season. We will find out pretty quick just how good our team is this season when we play Houston, Navy, Memphis. Here is hoping that we can play 4 quarters of football against these better programs.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:07 pm

Here's a great stat-if Ben Hicks last 12 games were in a full season he would rank as the 2nd best QB in Single Season TDs in SMU History with 29 TDs-give the guy a break-he isn't even running a pass first offense like the Run and Shoot-we run the ball around here now

Single season TDs

1. Kyle Padron 31 (2010)
2. Justin Willis 26 (2006)
3. Justin Willis 25 (2007)
4. Bo Levi Mitchell 24 (2008)
5. Chuck Hixson 21 (1968)
Garrett Gilbert 21 (2013)
7. Mike Romo 19 (1990)
8. Ben Hicks 19 (2016)
9. Mike Ford 17 (1978)
J. J. McDermott 17 (2011)

Stallion

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:46 pm

So you say openly you do not like Hicks and you want us to win the games we should. Well we have won the games we should have and by the margin by which we should have, or better. So take your hate and stop your posting until you can say something other than you hate Hicks. We get it. Try posting something that makes sense other than just hatred.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby blackoutpony » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:31 pm

Ok I’ll bite.

First off, I don’t hate Hicks, I just don’t think he’s the answer, and no I’m not saying Gillens is either. Honestly I think this falls on Morris for not recruiting better.

He went into yesterday with a 48% completion percentage. He completed 72% yesterday, but those numbers are largely inflated because of the short dump offs to Quin and the countless bubble screens. Most of his throws that had to go more than 12-15 yards were high and erratic. Morris said the same thing in his press conference. It’s why he also said he put Gillens in because he thought the team needed a spark. More often than not, Hicks just isn’t accurate enough to complete long throws. Yeah he made a few nice throws deep (Quinn TD, 2nd Sutton TD), but he made more that were downright bad.

The offense is pumping out numbers, but that doesn’t mean we’re reaching our poteantial and that’s what’s frustrating. Plug in a QB at 58-59% and we’d be flying. If he was at least able to contribute with his legs, I could live with his completion percentage, but sadly he can’t. Carddock masked Hicks deficiencies yesterday and after about the fourth bubble screen when UConn figured out what they were doing, the offense stalled and couldn’t get anything going for awhile.

I think at this point, we’re riding and dying with him all year. So far against 4 lousy opponents, he hasn’t cost us a game yet and we’ve rolled. I just hope it doesn’t cost us a win or two, because the schedule is pretty damn rough the rest of the way. If Hicks can throw at 60% clip the rest of the way, hell, we have a shot to win out. I firmly believe that. If he slumps back below 50%, we could lose every game on the rest of the schedule with how bad our defense is. I dont think that will happen, but I thinks it’s not impossible. Our offense is what is going to have to win every single game.

Hope he steps up his game because winning is fun
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:31 pm

Oh, and Stallion putting out random cherry picked numbers to defend him is silly. How many good QBs has SMU ever had? Just because he’s better than what we’ve had doesn’t make him good.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:41 pm

I think you make a rational argument but it is hard to change your starter when he is getting you where you need to be. And the 2 Quinn and long Sutton TDs were not bubble screens.

I have wanted to see what Peavy could do from day one and still do but cannot find a reason to change or complain yet. Listening to Morris it is beginning to sound like he is less adverse to making a change if and when he feels it is right. But personally I think a person spending every day watching these kids has a better feel for what to do than watching from the stands or on TV on Saturdays.

Hicks just came off the best game he has played since he has been here so I have problems ridiculing him.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SMUer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:42 pm

Against a Top 70 passing defense juggernaut this season, with a first round NFL receiver, Hicks went 17 for 37, 305 yds, 2TD:2INT; every other opponent has been much [deleted], including two of the rock bottom worst pass defenses (we are third-worst nationally btw).

I’d bet the Dallas Cowboys could hang 70 points on Highland Park football, but that doesn’t mean they are very good. Watch Hicks last year during the Tulsa and this year against TCU, same dude that misses critical throws down the stretch, that halts drives and costs games. This season’s honey-moon ends as soon as we face a middling pass defense: Cincy, Tulane, Navy and UCF are all better than we have seen. All we need is two, so I have hope (great early season scheduling) but I’m not convinced he’s going to marshall us to many improbable wins. He’s no J.J. McDermmott.
SMUer

Next

Return to Football