PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC West Division

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

AAC West Division

Postby Fresno Mustang » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:54 am

At the beginning of the season, most predictions had SMU finishing behind Navy, Houston, Memphis & Tulsa while finishing above Tulane in the division. Now that we are 25% of the way into the season, I think this division is a little bit more wide open than most people would have predicted. Tulsa is surprisingly down (although that offense can still score in a hurry), Memphis is tough to get a read on after beating UCLA but getting blown out by a good UCF team, Houston has talent but doesn't look as dominant as last year (I think this game and the Tulsa game will be good measuring sticks for where we stand in the conference). Navy struggled with Tulane but beat Tulsa and Cincinnati by two scores. Tulane looks to be much improved but still in a rebuild. And finally, SMU is where most of us thought we would be at this point in the year. What is everyone's thoughts on how the rest of the year will play out in this division?

On the eastern side of the conference, I think UCF / USF could be playing for a shot at a New Year's 6 bowl, they both look like the best in the conference right now but are definitely going to benefit from a weak division. I wish Navy was on that side of the conference.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Re: AAC West Division

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:18 pm

I'd move SMU up a step in the AAC West over Tulsa because Tulsa's passing game has dropped off the cliff with superstar athlete Chad President at QB-be wary of the superstar athlete that can't execute in the passing game. Still going to be a tough game we should win at home. As I expected the UCF game is going to be much tougher than most SMU fans thought preseason. UCF will be the favorite even at Ford
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:28 pm

I say the West is mostly wide open. Houston and Navy, less offense than last year. Memphis and Tulsa have suspect defense so far. Tulane is our last game and if we need it, we will get it. We should get past Cincinnati, even on the road. The big IF is our pass defense. It needs to improve quickly. Tackling in second level was awful against UConn. Thought linebackers played better and have to keep that going. DLine in the 4th quarter was awesome (love how the rattled UConn center into bad snap). The coaches must be working on all that. Barring injuries, we are enough of a TEAM (best aspect of SMU) to be in it to the last I think. But, WoW, what about UCF, they are looking like the cream of the crop. Awesome game against Memphis. My hopes are still high.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:48 pm

All are winnable: IF our offense keeps clicking and gets more consistently balanced (rushing and passing), a lot of that is on the OL and QB of course. IF our defense can bend not break. I'll see it when I believe it if we can: (a) slow the triple option of Navy and (b) tackle in space and slow the passing attack of Memphis. We "should" beat Tulsa and Tulane (they will be better than people think and run the same offense as Navy so watch out). Then there's Houston. These next 2 games are HUGE. Leave everything on the field against Houston, then you have a bye week to get ready for going to Cincy and then Tulsa for bowl eligibility (hopefully) game. I see us coming in 3rd or 4th in the West (hard to beat both Houston AND Memphis to get to 2nd), and I don't see us beating Navy. I hope I'm wrong.

7-5, 4th in the west behind Navy, Memphis, and Houston. (we beat Tulsa, Cincy, and Tulane to get to 7). But I REALLY want to beat Houston and play very competitively against everyone else. No more blowouts against ANYONE much less anyone in the AAC.
ojaipony

Postby JasonB » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:14 pm

Every team in the west has their flaws. Tulsa has shown that they won't compete this year. Houston-SMU will possibly out one of those teams as a pretender. I think it may come down to Memphis - Navy - SMU.
JasonB

Return to Football