PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Houston Hate Week: Your memories

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Houston Hate Week: Your memories

Postby peruna81 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:15 pm

NTXCoog wrote:
mrydel wrote:There is no next idea. It was the worst display of sportsmanship ever.

In other words, you have no idea how UH could have kept the score down other than take a knee the entire 2nd half

Ah, memories.

Gonna be a real hoedown, come Saturday...one of the two teams present will make some "new memories."

Run it up again, Ron.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NTXCoog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:15 pm

Stallion wrote:
NTXCoog wrote:
mrydel wrote:Research and you want. I lived it and I know what was said. Worst case of poor sportsmanship ever displayed and you might as well just own it because it is what it is.

I have researched it and i was a student at UH at the time. So I had Houston sports coverage which was obviously more than Dallas coverage. We all know Dallas does not cover Houston sports and didnt heavily cover SMU at the time, or niw. I never heard it. I believe Im right and you have no proof other than your biased memories, but we can disagree on that. I bet you think UH was desperately trying to score at the end of the game too. Heard that several times on the Ticket

So I disproved your run more theory of keeping the score down. Next idea?

771 yards passing jackass-they were throwing deep late into the game against a secondary made up with freshmen and walkons

TD passes of 62, 7, 40, 3, 87, 40, 28, 53, 74 and 16-410 yards or 41 yards per TD catch even with the 3 and 7 yarder thrown in

Most of those were in the 1st half. 1 was late which i will get to in a second.

So if as suggested they ran the ball 10 more times, got another 120 yards rushing and 2 more rushing TDs which matched their game average, would you have been happy with the same score but more rushing and total yards? As already noted, yards per carry were higher than yards per pass attempt

But let's get into passing long late in the game. UH only scored 14 in the 4th, so obviously it didn't happen often. 1 long TD pass in the 4th. But why? Let's talk player safety and the basics of the run & shoot. SMU was playing all of its defensive players fairly near the LOS. Why? I don't know. But everyone knows if you crowd the line vs the R&S, the receivers are going long, and that's what they did. What happens if you run short routes and the you throw short with the defense playing up close? You either run a sideline route and go out of bounds. The clock stops which extends the game, clock rules were different than now. Or you go across the middle and get laid out by the multiple defenders playing short. UH had 4 of their top 7 WRs out with injuries that game which is why the backup RB was playing WR. Do you risk getting another one hurt to not run up the score? SMU coaches knew what would happen since they ran the same offense, but for some reason they didn't play back and keep the offense in front if thrm
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby NTXCoog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:17 pm

peruna81 wrote:
NTXCoog wrote:
mrydel wrote:There is no next idea. It was the worst display of sportsmanship ever.

In other words, you have no idea how UH could have kept the score down other than take a knee the entire 2nd half

Ah, memories.

Gonna be a real hoedown, come Saturday...one of the two teams present will make some "new memories."

Run it up again, Ron.

Honestly I am worried about this Saturday. UH has the better defense (at least with Oliver). SMU has the better offense by far. I just don't know that the better defense is better than the better offense
NTXCoog
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football