PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Houston Hate Week: Your memories

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Houston Hate Week: Your memories

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:33 pm

NTXCoog wrote:In that same time, SMU has had 5 permanent HCs with 1 interim. The difference between our last 5 HCs and SMUs? Ours all had winning records while none of SMUs did.

Now that's selective editing. Your two HC just before that cutoff both had losing records.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:36 pm

ponyte wrote:1980. Being called a N-word by the Houston middle LB. Yes, he called me a N-word. Later in the game, he got an unsportsman like penalty when he called Freshman Ricky Bolden a N-word. Ricky responded by giving him the finger.

that fella needed to get his eyes checked....

and anyone that called Bolden ANY name was a verifiable idiot. Bolden was HUGE.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:47 pm

Why get eyes checked? Ponyte is a Nice guy.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna81 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:07 pm

My thought is he didn't like ANY of our TEs...good. Hope our players are called a bunch of names this Saturday, especially if the caller is flat on his back.
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyte » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:02 pm

He was just trying to get into one's head. And he did with Ricky. I don't blame Ricky or consider his response bad, actually very well guarded given the insult. But that happens far more often than one can imagine. From that point on, I was looking for a legal opportunity to head hunt on that dude.
ponyte

Postby peruna81 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:05 pm

any concluding events? Don't leave us hanging'...
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NTXCoog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:47 am

CA Mustang wrote:
NTXCoog wrote:In that same time, SMU has had 5 permanent HCs with 1 interim. The difference between our last 5 HCs and SMUs? Ours all had winning records while none of SMUs did.

Now that's selective editing. Your two HC just before that cutoff both had losing records.

Ok. 6 of 8 coaches since Pardee had winning records. 0 of 5 SMU coaches since the Pardee era have winning records.
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby No Quarter » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:51 am

I would have to say that IPP and PTand others mentioned the seminal point about most of our feelings about Houston and the eventual deserved repost. Lord, it comes to mind Lou Holtz threw the switch on his ND team we played back then and we are supposed to like Pardee - who is otherwise a towering figure in Texas football history - for not going for 100?

Thanks also to myrdell and Ponyte for their memories. I always read their posts and like myrdells wit and temperate observations about SMU football. He was the first, IIRC, to comment on a poignant Homecoming with a soccer match. And again, IIRC, it was Ponyte who visited practice during a bad season a few years back to encourage the team. I hope it helped the players. As a fan I certainly I admired it.

Go Ponies!
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:58 am

I have commented on the soccer homecoming but was in school long before that. Actually long before the invention of the ball. I know that former poster Jtstang suffered through that and I believe Ponysnob did also. I imagine there are others here who did.
mrydel

Postby No Quarter » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:25 pm

I was aware, more or less, of the timing of your days as a player vs the homecoming in question and have seen comments by others. But yours was the first I recall. And think I was Arkpony's contemporary, or at least there long before you.

GO PONIES!
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby oilpony » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:03 pm

Our pledge class went to Houston for the game in 1981. A pledge brother and myself drank a half bottle of Sauza Gold Tequila on Friday night and finished the bottle off on Saturday night after the game. Sunday on the way back to Dallas and after having to stop a couple of times by the side of the road, I swore I would never drink straight tequila again. And I haven't since that weekend. SMU won the game by the way.
oilpony
All-American

Postby NTXCoog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:39 pm

No Quarter wrote:I would have to say that IPP and PTand others mentioned the seminal point about most of our feelings about Houston and the eventual deserved repost. Lord, it comes to mind Lou Holtz threw the switch on his ND team

1) Notre Dame had a better team, but UH had a better offense than ND
2) ND had a team built for milking the clock. Their base offense was built to run clock. UH had no TEs, no FBs, 2 scholarship RBs and QBs. And you expected UH to run up the middle wagainst a stacked box that SMU was playing on defense
3) UH averaged more yards per rush than passing attempt that game
4) You weren't more embarrassed by ND intentionally running out of bounds to not score? Maybe UH should have taken a knee every drive in the 4th quarter instead of just the last drive. Then would you have praised Pardee?
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Are you really proud of running up the score against a team of 45 freshman/redshirt freshman-to make matters worse 3 of our DBs including future NFL Cary Brabham and I think Marcello Simmons were injured and replaced by walkons. You embarrassed yourself not SMU and proved how minor league your school was-which was why America enjoyed watching those same freshman kick Houston's [deleted] all across the field 4 years later.

Lesson:
UH-Classless LOSERS
SMU's First Freshman Class-WINNERS
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:56 pm

Plus they did not accomplish their openly stated goal of 100.
mrydel

Postby NTXCoog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Stallion wrote:Are you really proud of running up the score against a team of 45 freshman/redshirt freshman-to make matters worse 3 of our DBs including future NFL Cary Brabham and I think Marcello Simmons were injured and replaced by walkons. You embarrassed yourself not SMU and proved how minor league your school was-which was why America enjoyed watching those same freshman kick Houston's [deleted] all across the field 4 years later.

Lesson:
UH-Classless LOSERS
SMU's First Freshman Class-WINNERS

Tell me what UH should have done to keep the score down. If you can give a realistic answer to that, I will be impressed. And when I say realistic, I mean options that would not potentially cause injuries to UH players
NTXCoog
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football