PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Houston Hate Week: Your memories

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Houston Hate Week: Your memories

Postby NTXCoog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:03 pm

mrydel wrote:Plus they did not accomplish their openly stated goal of 100.

Complete BS. If UH wanted to score 100, they would not have taken a knee 3 times inside SMU's 20 to end the game. It would have been easy to score then

So please link to where UH openly stated they wanted to score 100
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:30 pm

I do not believe Gore had invented the Internet yet. I heard the players talking about it all week long.
Quit trying to take up for one of the worst displays of sportsmanship ever witnessed. And how could they have held it down? Try running the ball.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Arkpony » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Don't get mad about us scoring 95 points, how about you guys get good?

(Where was he last year???)
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby mrydel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:49 pm

I am not mad. I enjoy dominating them again.
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:56 pm

CargoGunki wrote:Don't get mad about us scoring 95 points, how about you guys get good?

That young team of freshman did get a lot better and whipped your Cougs their senior season...and made that game our Homecoming they were so confident they would get their revenge
Charleston Pony

Postby malonish » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:00 pm

CargoGunki wrote:Don't get mad about us scoring 95 points, how about you guys get good?

I hope you can get a job with your degree. It's a tough market and you'll be at disadvantage.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:05 pm

My favorite memory is from the east side of Ford Stadium last year.
I can't remember what happened specifically to trigger it, but the Houston fans were distraught by halftime and a particular play set some of them off just before the 2nd quarter ended.
A dude wearing a red t-shirt with 'Tom Herman is Awesome' or something like that on it got so pissed he stood up on the bleacher, screamed and ripped his shirt off his body -- then stormed up the aisle into the concourse.
Me and the few young alums sitting in the section burst out laughing while the other coog fans just sat down.

We waved goodbye to them after the game as we ran toward the corner stairs to go onto the field... lol.
skyscraper

Postby NTXCoog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:35 pm

mrydel wrote:I do not believe Gore had invented the Internet yet. I heard the players talking about it all week long.
Quit trying to take up for one of the worst displays of sportsmanship ever witnessed. And how could they have held it down? Try running the ball.

Amazing thing about the internet, even though it wasnt invented, most major newspapers are archived. I've read every Morning News and Houston Chronicle about that game plus some other major papers like the LA Times (oddly enough), and ive never seen any player or coach quoted saying that. So not in any newspaper, but you remember

As for try running, seems like a simple obvious answer. BUT
1) UH averaged more yards per carry than yards per pass attempt.
2) Weatherspoon had 15 carries for 209 yards and 3 TDs. So every 5 carries he scored. Add in another 39 yards on 4 catches and Spoon had 260 yards by himself
3) Kimble Anders, the backup RB, played WR most of the game, but as a RB, he had about 80 yards in 10 carries including an 18 yard carry on the final drive
4) So about 340 yards just from RBs and better per play production than passing
5) But ignoring the production argument which is enough, let's go with the player health argument. For some reason, SMU was playing 7 in the box. Anyone with any run & shoot knowledge knows you don't run in that situation because you have 5 blocking 7. Maybe SMU coaches thought UH would sacrifice player health to keep the score down, but UH didn't so they kept throwing
NTXCoog
Varsity

Houston Hate Week: Your memories

Postby mrydel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:57 pm

Research and you want. I lived it and I know what was said. Worst case of poor sportsmanship ever displayed and you might as well just own it because it is what it is.
mrydel

Postby NTXCoog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:05 pm

mrydel wrote:Research and you want. I lived it and I know what was said. Worst case of poor sportsmanship ever displayed and you might as well just own it because it is what it is.

I have researched it and i was a student at UH at the time. So I had Houston sports coverage which was obviously more than Dallas coverage. We all know Dallas does not cover Houston sports and didnt heavily cover SMU at the time, or niw. I never heard it. I believe Im right and you have no proof other than your biased memories, but we can disagree on that. I bet you think UH was desperately trying to score at the end of the game too. Heard that several times on the Ticket

So I disproved your run more theory of keeping the score down. Next idea?
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby sbsmith » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:29 pm

skyscraper wrote:My favorite memory is from the east side of Ford Stadium last year.
I can't remember what happened specifically to trigger it, but the Houston fans were distraught by halftime and a particular play set some of them off just before the 2nd quarter ended.
A dude wearing a red t-shirt with 'Tom Herman is Awesome' or something like that on it got so pissed he stood up on the bleacher, screamed and ripped his shirt off his body -- then stormed up the aisle into the concourse.
Me and the few young alums sitting in the section burst out laughing while the other coog fans just sat down.

We waved goodbye to them after the game as we ran toward the corner stairs to go onto the field... lol.

Was it this shirt?

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby mrydel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:41 pm

There is no next idea. It was the worst display of sportsmanship ever.
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:49 pm

NTXCoog wrote:
mrydel wrote:Research and you want. I lived it and I know what was said. Worst case of poor sportsmanship ever displayed and you might as well just own it because it is what it is.

I have researched it and i was a student at UH at the time. So I had Houston sports coverage which was obviously more than Dallas coverage. We all know Dallas does not cover Houston sports and didnt heavily cover SMU at the time, or niw. I never heard it. I believe Im right and you have no proof other than your biased memories, but we can disagree on that. I bet you think UH was desperately trying to score at the end of the game too. Heard that several times on the Ticket

So I disproved your run more theory of keeping the score down. Next idea?

771 yards passing jackass-they were throwing deep late into the game against a secondary made up with freshmen and walkons

TD passes of 62, 7, 40, 3, 87, 40, 28, 53, 74 and 16-410 yards or 41 yards per TD catch even with the 3 and 7 yarder thrown in
Last edited by Stallion on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby NTXCoog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:54 pm

ponyte wrote:1980. Being called a N-word by the Houston middle LB. Yes, he called me a N-word. Later in the game, he got an unsportsman like penalty when he called Freshman Ricky Bolden a N-word. Ricky responded by giving him the finger.

Cage the [deleted]
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby NTXCoog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:59 pm

mrydel wrote:There is no next idea. It was the worst display of sportsmanship ever.

In other words, you have no idea how UH could have kept the score down other than take a knee the entire 2nd half
NTXCoog
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football