PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL: SMU vs. Coog High Game Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL: SMU vs. Coog High Game Thread

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:12 pm

My issue with Hicks, or any QB for that matter, is when it’s 3rd and 10 and the QB throws screen passes by design and not something beyond the 1st down marker. That happened multiple times and shows a lack of confidence in your QB.

When we got 2 TDs behind he was forced to throw the ball more downfield and we saw the results, 2 INTs.

I don’t see us winning or even playing for some Championships until we have a QB who is not yet on our roster.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:24 pm

Stallion wrote:I'm 6-0 in picking W/L-we are right on schedule. You seem to be surprised and saddened -how very unfortunate for you

So I can expect more glowing offensive stats, proclaiming Ben Hicks way ahead of Garrett Gilbert as a sophomore, pride in our total yardage instead of the score, how we performed better against TCU than other teams, etc. this week? Okay then. Always reliable. I too “predicted” we’d get exposed by Houston. TTYL I’m gonna throw myself a party.
SMUer

Postby PoconoPony » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:29 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:My issue with Hicks, or any QB for that matter, is when it’s 3rd and 10 and the QB throws screen passes by design and not something beyond the 1st down marker. That happened multiple times and shows a lack of confidence in your QB.

When we got 2 TDs behind he was forced to throw the ball more downfield and we saw the results, 2 INTs.

I don’t see us winning or even playing for some Championships until we have a QB who is not yet on our roster.

My concern about Hicks thus far is that he simply stays locked onto his primary receiver and has not learned to find secondary receivers. Up until the last few minutes he locked on to either Sutton or Quinn and there were no other receivers in the game. He found Proche at the end, but by then the D had cheated out their coverage on Sutton and Quinn forcing the interception mistakes at the end.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:57 pm

the honest response from the chorus of whiners is that none of them - literally none of them would have picked us at the beginning of the season to win this game.

we win Tulsa, UC and Tulane. Thats 7 and progress.

We need more beef on O line, some real linebackers, a better kicker and special teams and a duel threat QB. Thats a lot, but can be done.
gostangs

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:01 pm

gostangs wrote:the honest response from the chorus of whiners is that none of them - literally none of them would have picked us at the beginning of the season to win this game.

We need more beef on O line, some real linebackers, a better kicker and special teams and a duel threat QB. Thats a lot, but can be done.

I don’t know about Tulane. They smoked tulsa which I get is the worst. I think Cincy game is our make or break for bowling.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:03 pm

Tulane is very well coached. Saw the game in NOLA last year and came away impressed - so I don't say it is a lay up - I just think it is our game if it matters and it is at home.
gostangs

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:00 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
gostangs wrote:the honest response from the chorus of whiners is that none of them - literally none of them would have picked us at the beginning of the season to win this game.

I don’t know about Tulane. They smoked tulsa which I get is the worst. I think Cincy game is our make or break for bowling.

I'm inclined to agree especially given our recent history against option teams
Charleston Pony

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 am

Reality is that Houston was not a good team and we lost to Houston. That game was hard to watch. SMU is a much better team. The talent on our roster is far superior to Houston's roster. Many here are touting that they called the fact that we would lose to Houston. Give me a break.

Unfortunately our defense played horrible and our QB, well, he played like Ben Hicks. SMU deserves better. Any QB with the weapons that SMU has on Offense really has no reason not to be successful. Coach Craddock and his play calling leaves much to be desired. No creativity. Almost looks like the Offense does not know what play they should run. Not sure if this is coaching or our bad QB. I mean seriously, can someone teach Hicks how to read his progressions. Hicks had many open receivers, but Hicks being Hicks locks on one receiver and throws it to that receiver regardless of consequence. That is not a QB. That is not a leader.

Rodney Clemons has no business being on the field. Rewatch the game and count how many times the guy missed tackles, took a wrong angle, or flat out was out of position. Rodney did not have a bad game, he has had a bad season. Elijah McQueen should get more playing time immediately. Tell me that we have someone who can play safety.

Christian Davis and Eric Sutton should not be starting corners. Not sure what to do here, but playing off receivers by 8 to 10 yards on most plays has proven to be unsuccessful. Jordan Wyatt is an overconfident CB that is slow and careless with pass interference pentalties. He might be the best we have, but that is not saying much. Tired of the announcers saying that he and Courtland Sutton are All-Americans. If you are an All-American then it is time to play like an All-American.

Jacob Tadora, Bryce Wilds need to be replaced by someone. Is Kadarius Smith ready? Saw Kadarius Smith on the sidelines. Tell me that he is better than either one of these guys please. Maybe Hoverton will get his opportunity.

One good thing that was easy to recognize... Yes, Trey Quinn is a monster! The kid can flat out get the job done. Very impressed by Mr. Quinn! Courtand, well, cannot exactly say that he had his best game, but he was one of our better players on the field. Wish that Proche was target more. Heck if you Craddock and Morris are going to burn Tyler Page's Redshirt the least you can do is target the kid and run some plays with Page in mind. Tyler Page has the ability to be a game breaker. Maybe Tyler Page is not Trey Quinn, but remember the kid is a True Freshman. The only way we will know if Tyler Page can do his thing on the college level is to get him more involved in the SMU Offense.

Another good thing that I can say about yesterday's game is that our RBs ran with purpose. Has to be difficult running behind that Offensive Line, but they did what they could when they got opportunities. Hope that somehow we can get our RBs more involved in the passing game.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:09 am

"SMU is a much better team. The talent on our roster is far superior to Houston's roster."

You're ridiculous. You state we are the better team then proceed to rip about 9-10 of our starters. Nobody thinks SMU has better talent except guys like you that don't know what they are looking at. You sound like you're surprised-I'm not. The Betting Line was SMU +10 at Game Time when it was announced Oliver would play. UH annually outrecruits us. Since you seem to be so surprised we're not 6-0 here is how the AAC media ranked us

2017 AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE
PRESEASON FOOTBALL MEDIA POLL
American Championship

Team
USF 26
Houston 2
Memphis 1
Navy 1

East Division

Team
2. UCF 126
3. Temple 119
4. Cincinnati 100
5. East Carolina 63
6. UConn 42

West Division

Team
2. Houston (6) 137
3. Navy (1) 128
4. Tulsa (1) 102
5. SMU 64
6. Tulane 30

first-place votes in parentheses
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:31 am

Stallion, isn't if funny how last week you had everything to say about how good Hicks was and now fast-forward to this week and you don't have an opinion about Hicks. I call out a handfull of players who did not play well. Again you ignore those comments. And once again try and act like it did not happen. Instead you act like you know everything and no one else on this board knows anything. Funny how you are not touting Hicks stats again this week. You really are hillarious! :)

Last week you are saying that SMU is a good team because of Hicks. Now that we lose, you say that you knew that we were going to lose. Give me a break. What would we do without your opinions Stallion?
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:40 am

he was 41 for 58 and about 400 yards. Should have been 42-58 at least. Yes he threw 16 uncatchable balls out of 58. BAD BAD BAD Hicks. He is the best QB on the roster. There were many reasons we lost last night and he wasn't at the top of the list. He threw 2 Interceptions late in the game when they were dropping DBs and we couldn't use our RBs because we started at our 5 yard line needing to go 95 with 6 minutes left. Almost all his interceptions this year have been against a prevent Defense when he was trying to rally the team from behind. That is not unusual. He's not good enough when a defense drops so many into coverage. I'm not shocked-I feel your pain that you seem to have discovered we are not as good as you had hoped

I have consistently said we are a 7 win team-closer to 6 wins than 8 wins. Every game has turned out as I expected. Don't project your ignorance of college football on me. We are right on schedule in this rebuild
Last edited by Stallion on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:44 am

Can't get 3's instead of 7's especially on the road. Have to have stops.. And at a minimum hold to FGs. Oh and if when discussing missed PATs you have to ask "which one, " it's a bad thing. As with TCU, that end of first half drive has to be punched into the end zone. All of the other details all the same, these determined this game and would and will any other.
RGV Pony

Postby mtrout » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:02 am

Stallion wrote:I have consistently said we are a 7 win team-closer to 6 wins than 8 wins. Every game has turned out as I expected. Don't project your ignorance of college football on me. We are right on schedule in this rebuild

Real question. Will we beat a team that's top 100 in Sagarin rankings this year?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:09 am

SMUer wrote:
Stallion wrote:I'm 6-0 in picking W/L-we are right on schedule. You seem to be surprised and saddened -how very unfortunate for you

So I can expect more glowing offensive stats, proclaiming Ben Hicks way ahead of Garrett Gilbert as a sophomore, pride in our total yardage instead of the score, how we performed better against TCU than other teams, etc. this week? Okay then. Always reliable. I too “predicted” we’d get exposed by Houston. TTYL I’m gonna throw myself a party.

:lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:11 am

Stallion, real question not sarcasm, whenever I talk to people about SMU football and say you know we are young team and we are rebuilding. I always get the eye roll and a “every year is a rebuild year for SMU”. Since you are saying we are on track, when do you think we will actually break 8+ wins or conference championship? Just curious from your perspective because I’m worried based on our current recruits rankings and offers, it looks like we are about to hit the ceiling.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football