PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL: SMU vs. Coog High Game Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL: SMU vs. Coog High Game Thread

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:27 am

We will have a Championship level Offense by next year as we continue to develop talent and depth in our Offensive Line. The Offensive Line's mistakes last nite really hurt us and I bet if you charted it out they stalled numerous drives--its not always the QB when your offensive line gets so many penalties and puts your offense in bad situations. Still we had 30 First Downs and about 550 yards.

Based upon recruiting-I really can't say that we are building a Championship level Defense so we may not get there even in the next 2 years. Its mostly DB and LB recruiting that while better than before still needs to take another step up in quality. UH in particular has out-recruited us for a long list of DBs in head-to-head recruiting battles on kids that we have targeted. So we have dropped down to next level recruits.

You know SMU has never won more than 7 games in a regular season in about 33 years. But I think we should be able to get to 8 wins next year in a strong conference. We aren't in the WAC, WAC 2.0 or CUSA. If we found some JUCOs to fill immediate needs at LB and DB we might contend next year. But we are playing in a pretty tough conference so I wouldn't count on a Championship. We had Championship level recruits on campus last week and about 10,000 bothered to show up. That's an anchor dragging our coaching staff down in recruiting. You want Championships it would help if we had some butts in their seats so our Coaches can raise the talent level

Note-Mustang Mania and butts in seats came BEFORE the Pony Express-Dickerson and James would never have gone to SMU if we were playing in front of 10,000
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:54 am

If only Dickerson would have told those investigators he came to SMU because of the crowd, and not the $$$$, things could have been so different.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:55 am

I agree wholeheartedly that SMU's lack of a strong fan base is really hurting our recruiting efforts and that lack of support is in large part what landed us at the G5 level of competition. I do have a hard time visualizing 8 wins next year with both TCU & Michigan on our schedule. Can't see us suddenly going 6-2 in AAC play but I might change my mind if this team finds a way to go 4-4 in AAC this year.
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:41 pm

After reviewing the Play-by-Play, 3 SMU drives stalled after SMU penalties-2 on the Offensive Line and one on Courtland Sutton's offensive interference in End Zone. Another drive stalled after a sack where a penalty on Offensive Line was declined. Another drive stalled after an incompletion where a holding penalty was declined. Another drive stalled after a sack. Its a team effort.

I haven't focused on next year yet-but in the long run it really doesn't matter. Its what you're building that matters. It took Ron Meyer 5 years to build from the ground up just to get to a Bowl and that Sophomore Class was the No. 1 ranked Class in the nation
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:04 pm

Can we at least agree that comparing today's SMU Program Rebuild should not be compared to Ron Meyer's Rebuild? The state of College Football has changed significantly. Heck we are not even the same conference as we were then :)

Other than both happened at SMU, not really sure what the two have in common with one another? Wish people could live in the present vs talking about what unfortunately is ancient history for our program.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:09 pm

I'm pretty confident based upon your shallow, hysterical whining that you have no understanding of the talent level on this team or our opponents and how long it takes to rebuild a program in a total rebuild.

Stallion

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:13 pm

We can definitely compare in that to change a team and a culture you may not be able to do it in one or two years. I will compare the first few Meyer years to remind people it did not happen overnight.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:51 pm

Meyer's Mustangs were 3-8, then 4-7 and then improved to 4-6-1 in his 3rd year and that was when we were buying top talent. Even that top talent needed time to mature
Charleston Pony

Postby mtrout » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:07 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Meyer's Mustangs were 3-8, then 4-7 and then improved to 4-6-1 in his 3rd year and that was when we were buying top talent. Even that top talent needed time to mature

4-6-1. Yeah...here's who we played that year.

TCU, Florida, #3 Penn State, #14 Ohio State, Baylor, #11 Houston, #7 Texas, Texas A&M, Rice, Texas Tech, Arkansas.

This year we play have played 4 teams ranked worse than #100 and haven't beaten one on the good side of #100 yet (UCF will be the next top-100 team followed by Navy, Memphis, and Tulane).
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:11 pm

mtrout wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Meyer's Mustangs were 3-8, then 4-7 and then improved to 4-6-1 in his 3rd year and that was when we were buying top talent. Even that top talent needed time to mature

4-6-1. Yeah...here's who we played that year.

TCU, Florida, #3 Penn State, #14 Ohio State, Baylor, #11 Houston, #7 Texas, Texas A&M, Rice, Texas Tech, Arkansas.

This year we play 4 teams ranked worse than #100 and haven't beaten one on the good side of #100 yet.

We also played in the SWC and could recruit 5 star players right along with our competitors. Surely everyone realizes that is no longer the case. It's all relative as we are recruiting these days against our competition which in case nobody has noticed, is pretty decent these days in the AAC.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangfan4life » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:14 pm

Lebanese4Life wrote:Pathetic tackling

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Where is Collin Rock? He looks like a linebacker on the sideline, maybe he can tackle?
mustangfan4life
Recruit

Previous

Return to Football