PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fundamentally poor

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Fundamentally poor

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Penalties, key dropped passes, interceptions, 0 points in the fourth quarter. Josh Williams continues to be a freaking killer. Defensive tackling is atrocious, especially our defensive backs. The yards-after- contact is extremely poor. Rodney Clemons continues to give up enormous plays after missed tackles, he needs to stay on the bench. Cornerbacks still playing way too far off the receiver, especially Christian Davis. No pass pressure, no quarterback sacks. Front 7 got their [deleted] kicked in the running game.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Fundamentally poor

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:53 pm

We missed on a very winnable game. I think sadly very deflating and we go into a much needed bye week. I thought Cincy should be a winnable game but this team isn’t mature enough to do things on the road. After this performance, I say we will be lucky to be 7-5 and probably 6-6 and still a chance at 5-7 again.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 78pony » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:08 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:We missed on a very winnable game. I think sadly very deflating and we go into a much needed bye week. I thought Cincy should be a winnable game but this team isn’t mature enough to do things on the road. After this performance, I say we will be lucky to be 7-5 and probably 6-6 and still a chance at 5-7 again.

But, we keep Chad!
78pony
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:10 pm

78pony wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:We missed on a very winnable game. I think sadly very deflating and we go into a much needed bye week. I thought Cincy should be a winnable game but this team isn’t mature enough to do things on the road. After this performance, I say we will be lucky to be 7-5 and probably 6-6 and still a chance at 5-7 again.

But, we keep Chad!

That is true! While I know this was a crappy performance but i do like not being completely shut out like in the past so at least that’s an improvement.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:15 pm

I'm not sure what Houston's 3rd down conversion rate was, but it had to be very good. Our defense repeatedly had them in third-and-long, and we cannot get off the field against a very pedestrian Houston offense. The Houston team we played tonight, wasn't nearly as good as the one last year.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Treadway21 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:18 pm

8 of 12 vs 5 of 14
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:28 pm

:?
Treadway21 wrote:8 of 12 vs 5 of 14

Mercy, 8 of 12, that will lose you football games.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby smitty329 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:30 pm

Treadway21 wrote:8 of 12 vs 5 of 14

3/5 - 10 yd Run - Success
3/3 - 5 yd Run - S
3/6 - (-)4 yd Run - Fail
3/7 - Def Pass Interference
3/9 - 10 Yd Pass - S
3/7 - 22 Yd Pass - S
3/2 - 12 Yd Run - S
3/4 - 16 Yd Pass - S
3/9 - 10 Yd Pass - S
3/8 - Inc Pass - F
3/5 - 4 Yd Run - F
3/9 - 3 Yd Run - F
3/4 - 8 Yd Run - S

On 9 of 13 third downs, they needed 5+ yards
On 6 of 13 third downs, they achieved 10+ yards
smitty329
All-American

Postby MV pony » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:00 pm

The only number that counts is the final score.
MV pony
All-American

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:16 pm

MV pony wrote:The only number that counts is the final score.

I guess the Stephen F. and North Texas State games made some of us...me included...think we were better than we actually are. On the bright side we seem competitive in every game thus far.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:02 pm

While I understand the we were suppose to lose and the performance last night was indicative of that, I think it was a winnable game mainly because of Houston. Houston was having QB issues between Allen and Postma, which we all know that from our previous situation. We also look before the game to have a decent run defense but clearly only against middle G5 teams. Like Stallion said, we have a great offense and great weapons at RBs and WRa but that offensive line unfortunately was a detriment.

I get that we are on schedule but it just felt like that game was a winnable game. I know for us downers, we will get over it. It just felt like the TCU game all over again. Hopefully the team can rebound and ruin Cincys homecoming!
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:36 pm

I'm upset because I wanted to open this board today and be able to praise the team and feel we had truly turned the corner, but no. Once again I have to worry that we can win winnable games and worry I won't live long enough to see us contend. Not that it's over (we are on my schedule of predicted wins), but a big hill to climb now. How can we not improve this pass defense, tackling, schemes. Bright spot is we have an extra week to do it. Come on Chad and Van get this thing done.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:56 pm

4 and 2 at the break is where we had hoped to be and where we should be with this schedule. The disappointment I have, is in the performance last night. We have talked Ad nauseam how recruiting for the offense is a year ahead of the defense, but this is year three folks, Van Malone owns this defense...
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:00 pm

I think anyone thinking rationally has to be pleased with 4-2 right now. The big question is whether we can find at least 2 more wins. Most assumed Tulane and Tulsa were our best shots, but with what has transpired in the 1st half, I'm thinking Tulsa is a MUST win and the Cincinnati game just might be the "make or break" our season game. Two weeks to prepare...
Charleston Pony

Postby gostangs » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:05 pm

I wouldn't say I was pleased with 4-2. Its exactly what I expected. It would be nice to occasionally see us beat a team you might not expect us to beat, so that there is evidence of improvement.

Last years team could be 4-2 at this point.

If we are going to make a run it really needs to show up right now. UCF, Memphis and Navy will be very rough I fear.
gostangs

Next

Return to Football