PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

THoughts about the game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

THoughts about the game

Postby JasonB » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:07 pm

- We bailed on the run, and bailed early. Our running plays were more effective than a lot of the throws to the flat. Just keep running it. The reason we couldn't score inside the 20 is because we didn't have faith in the running game. We immediately went to pass in those short yardage situations and had to settle for field goals (or at least attempts).
- You can't settle for field goals, have that many penalties, negative offensive plays, and missed tackles and expect to win a road game against a decent team. In the past, we lose that game by 40.
- Second straight sloppy game from mistakes and missed tackles. I expect to see a lot of competition in the bye week.
- Howerton is going to be a phenomenal offensive lineman for us. Don't be surprised to see him pop up at guard some after the bye.
- Disappointing performance by the defensive line. This is the second game (TCU) where we lined up with super wide splits and were beat up the middle. Keep it together. Mitchell and Williams are fast, let the LBs cover the perimeter. Those guys aren't big enough to cover gaps up the middle of the field.
- It is time for McQueen to start. Clemons missed a ton of tackles the last two games, and KJ got smoked on that bad angle. McQueen will make mistakes because he is a frosh, but will make a ton of plays and create turnovers. It's time to make the change. Onu has shown that he is a player at the other safety. Start playing McQueen opposite him now instead of working as his backup. The bye is a perfect chance to do that.
- If I ever see us roll Hicks out again, I don't know what I will do. The pocket was just fine, there was no reason for it. Certainly don't call it. It cuts the field in half for the defense, which you absolutely don't want to do with our depth at receiver. Stupid calls, IMHO.

All in all, a disappointing loss. Houston was not that good, but we played sloppy enough to lose. Getting gashed in the running game by them should be embarrassing, especially to the coaching staff. They haven't done that to anyone. This is going to hurt at the end of the season, because every team in the West has serious warts, and this game was an opportunity to put ourselves in a really good position to compete for the division title.

During the bye week, I expect that McQueen and Howerton are going to have opportunities to push for starting spots. I also think they will open up the competition at right tackle, either with a frosh or K Smith. The flop and leg whip by Wilds was absurd. Hailey and Robinson are going to push for linebacker spots as well.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: THoughts about the game

Postby 78pony » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:15 pm

Pretty well summed up. I agree on most. Houston is not that good and we just missed on a great road opportunity. Across the board we just didn’t have anyone step up and make the difficult play (Quinn excepted - he’s my All American).
78pony
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Remains to be seen how Houston will measure up against Memphis & Navy but we have to remember that most who follow college football figured SMU to do no better than 5th of the 6 western division teams. Remains to be seen if that is how we will finish, Tulane looks better than expected and Tulsa worse. Still a lot of football to be played and goal remains to find at least 6 wins this year.
Charleston Pony

Postby Arkpony » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:50 pm

Agree on Hicks rolling out. That never worked and ended in disasters each time. Why they kept calling I don't understand.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:03 am

Arkpony wrote:Agree on Hicks rolling out. That never worked and ended in disasters each time. Why they kept calling I don't understand.

ditto...and more often than not, he rolled right into pressure that otherwise might not have gotten to him in time
Charleston Pony

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:57 am

JasonB wrote:You can't settle for field goals

Jason I agree, but our kicker missing an extra point(again!)...after Trey Quinn's 1st quarter touchdown, followed by the 30-yard missed field-goal attempt at the very end of the first half were killers. Neither of his failed kicks were blocked/tipped. Yes Williams hit the 3rd quarter 46-yard field goal...but heck he has now missed three field goals and four extra points this season! This guy very well could end up costing us a 6 or 7 win season.

Interesting:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/ma ... =400941818

We've won the games we should have won and lost the 2 when we were underdogs...
Things could be worse.
6 wins still very possible....
7 wins will be tougher now...with Navy/Memphis/UCF still left to play
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smitty329 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:31 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
JasonB wrote:You can't settle for field goals

Jason I agree, but our kicker missing an extra point(again!)...after Trey Quinn's 1st quarter touchdown, followed by the 30-yard missed field-goal attempt at the very end of the first half were killers. Neither of his failed kicks were blocked/tipped. Yes Williams hit the 3rd quarter 46-yard field goal...but heck he has now missed three field goals and four extra points this season! This guy very well could end up costing us a 6 or 7 win season.

Interesting:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/ma ... =400941818

We've won the games we should have won and lost the 2 when we were underdogs...
Things could be worse.
6 wins still very possible....
7 wins will be tougher now...with Navy/Memphis/UCF still left to play

Convert the XP and TDs on 2 of the 3 first half field goals and we go into halftime tied instead of down 2 scores with Houston getting the ball to start the 2nd half. Would have been a big
difference in play calling in second half.

Penalties hurt - Sutton did not play like a 1st round pick.
smitty329
All-American

Postby JasonB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:36 pm

Settling for short FGs cost us a 28-7 lead at TCU as well. We are afraid to run in the redzone, even though the wildcat and power formations both looked good against TCU and Houston on the goalline. We never go back to what works.
JasonB

Postby Arkpony » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:06 pm

Settling for short FGs cost us a 28-7 lead at TCU as well. We are afraid to run in the redzone, even though the wildcat and power formations both looked good against TCU and Houston on the goalline. We never go back to what works.

THIS!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Return to Football