PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

"Next Year"

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

"Next Year"

Postby ojaipony » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:33 pm

So, I think most of us felt like 6-6 or 7-5 this year (anything more was gravy) and that's pretty much on schedule. Explosive offense (still young in places) and defense not even starting a rebuild yet (that's my opinion). So, why do we think next year is going to be some big jump? Here's my case, ladies and gentlemen, of the jury:

#1. Richard Moore. He's the inside LB we've always wanted since Tank Reed. He will be the Trey Quinn of our defense (not THAT good, but a similar impact). I don't want to put this all on one player, but he fills such a HUGE need.
#2. More experience in the secondary and Star (J. Williams has played well at times, with more strength/size and experience, he'll be solid. Onu/Wyatt/C. Davis. I still think C. Davis will be okay at corner. I also think K. Johnson just needs a bit more experience and should move to corner. We need someone like McQueen (whose undersized at safety) to step up at the other safety spot.

Ok, that's defense. We just need them to be better. Not top 50 better, but better than 125+. We lose Lawler and that's huge, I don't know what we have at DEs in the wings. I don't think D. Scott is the answer. I do like Badejo and Neals. IF, and it's a big IF, McLaurin and Jones can fill in where Williams leaves, our DL will be ok still with Gary, Pono, Biggurs. Big "if" there. Also have Toby Ndukwe, will be interesting to see where he comes out next year. I think Kemon Smith will be good, but I think we want to redshirt/develop most freshmen who play in the trenches unless they are just THAT good (damn sad what happened to Leonard Parks and we got a decommit from the other DL whose name I can't remember who looked really good). Christian Jones has great size (similar to Gentry according to scout and Terrance Newman will probably be a player eventually).

Offense. Yes, losing Sutton is huge but we might be able to go to WR as a committee there with Honey/Bell. We still have Quinn and Proche and I think Becker is coming along at TE. Kaufman is solid, not great hands, but solid. Then there's Benson and K. Thomas (maybe K. Thomas will have a senior year like Keenan Holman, who always looked all world to me but never really did much until his senior year). But here's the BIG deal: offensive line! Howerton will replace Brown and we will watch Ali and Huhn battle. Pursley is solid, Natour is back and Todora and Kadarius HAVE to start showing their worth (Todora, I think, did just fine in the run game).

So big improvement in linebackers and offensive line IMHO. Running backs are all back. QBs are all back. WRs, minus Sutton, are all back. Secondary more experienced (need to find that other safety) and other edge rushers to replace Lawler. That might get us 2 more wins (8 to 9 win season). Pure conjecture on my part but I rest my case.
Last edited by ojaipony on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: "Next Year"

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:17 am

Defensive tackle loses:
Mason Gentry 6-6 305, 5th year Sr
J T Williams 6'1 285, Sr

Defensive end loses 3 of 4 in the 2 deep.
Dimarya Mixon 6'4 250, 5th year Sr
Justin Lawler 6'4 265, 5th year Sr
Nick Horton 6'2 250, 5th year Sr

Going to need graduate transfer and Juco help.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby ojaipony » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:22 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Defensive tackle loses:
Mason Gentry 6-6 305, 5th year Sr
J T Williams 6'1 285, Sr

Defensive end loses 3 of 4 in the 2 deep.
Dimarya Mixon 6'4 250, 5th year Sr
Justin Lawler 6'4 265, 5th year Sr
Nick Horton 6'2 250, 5th year Sr

Going to need graduate transfer and Juco help.

Agreed, I'd like to see a DE and especially some help in the secondary (other safety/other corner). But that's all defense and it will still not be all that great. Just needs to be better.
ojaipony

Postby horsemanx » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:34 am

I am not too worried about the defense. Malone will get the most out of whatever talent we have available.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby ojaipony » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:47 am

horsemanx wrote:I am not too worried about the defense. Malone will get the most out of whatever talent we have available.

Just curious if you are being serious or not?
ojaipony

Postby gostangs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:14 am

horsemanx wrote:I am not too worried about the defense. Malone will get the most out of whatever talent we have available.

please be kidding.
gostangs

Postby gostangs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:19 am

We replace one of our gimme games with Michigan on the road, so we start down one from this year. That means we have to really crush it in conference - which is possible given our conference schedule will be better (tougher teams at home).

We better figure out how to get another LB transfer or two with Tulane creating a very strong option offense and Navy doing what navy does. If you have to pencil in two loses with those two that leaves no room to spare for anything else.

D line and LB. Its all about pressure and getting on occasional stop. We cant do that yet and it is killing an otherwise really strong offense when we play a real team.

And for goodness sake, lets get a real kicker and punter on the roster.
gostangs

Postby ojaipony » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:22 am

gostangs wrote:We replace one of our gimme games with Michigan on the road, so we start down one from this year. That means we have to really crush it in conference - which is possible given our conference schedule will be better (tougher teams at home).

We better figure out how to get another LB transfer or two with Tulane creating a very strong option offense and Navy doing what navy does. If you have to pencil in two loses with those two that leaves no room to spare for anything else.

D line and LB. Its all about pressure and getting on occasional stop. We cant do that yet and it is killing an otherwise really strong offense when we play a real team.

Yeah, good point about Michigan. Scheduling that one is a head scratcher. They must have made an offer we couldn't refuse.
ojaipony

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Michigan is going to rape us.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby SmooBoy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:37 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:Michigan is going to rape us.

Yep, underdogs just don't beat them at home. :roll:
SmooBoy

Postby mrydel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:46 pm

It’s consensual
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby smustatesman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:30 pm

In the "Big House", which end zone is the bedroom, which yard markers are the kitchen ? Or, do the take us in each room of the house ?
Smustatesman aka NUKE......I procreate and I vote.
smustatesman
All-American

Postby Junior » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:48 pm

Any chance we could get a real kicker?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby footballdad » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:25 pm

gostangs wrote:We replace one of our gimme games with Michigan on the road, so we start down one from this year. That means we have to really crush it in conference - which is possible given our conference schedule will be better (tougher teams at home).

Penciling in losses to Tulane now, that's interesting. Stallion forgot to tell UCF and Tulane it takes 4-5 years to rebuild a program. They really need to slow down, it's unfair.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:01 pm

UCF never was a total rebuild and in fact they have the highest composite recruiting rating of all AAC rosters. Tulane hasn't done jack yet. Willie Fritz was +1 from Tulane's prior 2 seasons (3 wins). Chad Morris was +4 last year from the season before he got there (1 win)--and he did it without his starting QB and RB

You should pay attention more-I said before the season that UCF was the darkhouse program in the AAC and questioned why most SMU fans "penciled" that game as a win. I really didn't think UCF was the likely path to my predicted 7 wins. Cincy, Tulsa and Tulane is what I've been thinking
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Next

Return to Football