PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DEFENSE

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DEFENSE

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:31 pm

Defense, A really hard problem to fix. When Morris got the SMU job I knew he would turn the program around. He was well known as a great OC. Offensive guys wanted to come and play for him. He has been able to bring in some real Talent on the Offensive side. But what helps the D? I just don't see talented guys wanting to come and play for Malone. I understand the Secondary is young and will be wiser next year. But a couple Guys are not real fast & don't want to tackle! You really cant Coach Speed and a couple of the Guys act like they are scared to Tackle. I just don't see Malone being able to recruit the help SMU needs on the D side.
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Re: DEFENSE

Postby footballdad » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:47 pm

OLEJACKETFAN wrote:Defense, A really hard problem to fix. When Morris got the SMU job I knew he would turn the program around. He was well known as a great OC. Offensive guys wanted to come and play for him. He has been able to bring in some real Talent on the Offensive side. But what helps the D? I just don't see talented guys wanting to come and play for Malone. I understand the Secondary is young and will be wiser next year. But a couple Guys are not real fast & don't want to tackle! You really cant Coach Speed and a couple of the Guys act like they are scared to Tackle. I just don't see Malone being able to recruit the help SMU needs on the D side.

Everybody said Malone WAS a great recruiter, probably a big reason for Morris bringing him aboard. Only problem, Morris is just now realizing that Malone can't coach, at least not in a DC capacity. What to do, what to do?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:41 pm

I think that Malone is more than capable. You have pointed out something that he must make up on his own.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:29 pm

It's been three years, and we have better athletes out there than we have had in a long time. It should be better, and we should expect better.
JasonB

Postby gostangs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:32 pm

Smu and Morris can't get where we need to be without defense. If current staff can't get it done it will change quickly.
gostangs

Postby Big Hoss » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:47 am

Can we hire a defensive assistant coach whose only job is to teach tackling?
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:16 am

I think we need to see how the rest of this year pans out. If we respond with good results against Cincy, Tulsa, and Tulane and we don't have Memphis/Navy/UCF score into the 50s, I'd give him another year. If we don't do very well against Cincy/Tulsa/Tulane defensively and 1 or more of the other 3 score all over us then I think you have to take a serious look at bringing in a more seasoned, hard nosed defensive coach especially one who is good in game time.
ojaipony

Postby OLEJACKETFAN » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Im not saying something should happen in mid season. I agree to watch rest of games & hopefully see improvement. I just don't see hope for the D to get a lot better.. I know we get a solid LB next year, But we loose a great DE and a couple others. Only hope in the backend is maturity. Are there some good RS that will help. I respect Stallions opinion and he has stated the D is a year behind but it looks farther behind than a year to me. I imagine I have known Chad longer than most anyone on this Board, although I don't have contact with him now. Im sure he has discussed with Malone his concerns. Don't want to be too negative because this Team will still double its Wins this year to 8 !
OLEJACKETFAN
Scout Team

Postby birddogger » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:17 pm

Are the defensive woes simply a matter of scheme? Or position coaching? Or lack of talent? I don't think you fire the coordinator if the second and third items are equally to blame. I don't have a feel for how competent the position coaches are and could say whether changes need to occur there.

I see improvement over last year, but the defense is still hard to watch. Let's hope that HCCM turns Malone loose to recruit talent on the d-side. I don't see a bevy of top-flight defensive talent in the 2018 class, but perhaps that is a more difficult turn-around than the offensive side.

And as a side note, Tulane is markedly improved. I'm not penciling in a win there. Cincy and Tulsa are better shots to get to 6 wins IMO.
birddogger
All-American

Return to Football