PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Facebook ad for UCF (Homecoming) game ... Ugh!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Facebook ad for UCF (Homecoming) game ... Ugh!

Postby newshound » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:33 pm

facebook_ad_smu.jpg
facebook_ad_smu.jpg (65 KiB) Viewed 2770 times

This is an ACTUAL ad on Facebook for an SMU football game in three weeks. It entices no one to come.

Perhaps they should indicate when the kickoff time will be announced (10 days in advance) as the game is listed for 12 midnight in this ad since the kickoff is still TBA

LIST THE REASONS TO COME ...

> It's Homecoming. There is an actual parade before the game! With floats and the Mustang Band and Peruna!
> Tickets are REALLY reasonably-priced and GREAT seats are still available. And you can print your tickets at home or download to your phone. The average fan -- including any new fans -- assume tickets are expensive and hard to get. Really, they do think that.
> UCF is ranked No. 22 and UNDEFEATED and SMU is UNDEFEATED at home (4-0) this season

Don't list all the reasons NOT to come ...
> Worry about traffic and the clear-bag policy AFTER you have sold people their tickets! Kill all that mumbo jumbo.

These are the details of the ad:

The Boulevard closes to vehicle traffic three (3) hours prior to kickoff. Does the casual fan even know what The Boulevard is; makes it sound like you need to get there three hours before kickoff or the roads will be closed. How about: "Come out early and enjoy the best tailgating experience in college football: The Boulevard. There is local food and beverage and live entertainment for fans of all ages in a family-friendly pregame atmosphere."

Gates open 90 minutes prior to kickoff. Is that really important? How about, what time the Homecoming parade is (i.e. 2 hours before kickoff) and what time does the team walk through the Boulevard?

All bags entering Gerald J. Ford Stadium must be clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and may not exceed 12 x 6 x 12 inches. Bags may be one-gallon clear plastic freezer bags. Small clutch bags, approximately the size of a hand, will be permitted with or without a strap. Until you buy tickets, this information is completely unnecessary. Heaven forbid, you bring a purse that's too big!

The SMU Athletics Ticket Office closes at the start of the 2nd half. How about, what time does it OPEN during the week and on gameday?

For a list of prohibited items at Gerald J. Ford Stadium, please visit http://www.gethereforgameday.com. But no reference to parking/transit information?

And they wonder why they cannot attract new fans? There was absolutely no thought or passion put into that ad. None. A simple -- and lazy -- cut-and-paste job, likely done by an inexperienced employee. There is NO effort put forth.
newshound
Junior Varsity

Re: Facebook ad for UCF (Homecoming) game ... Ugh!

Postby Arkpony » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:26 pm

Exactly!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:24 pm

Agree.

However rarely have I been to the game where, while in line, I see some dude's GF get turned away because her bag is 6" too long. I guess that's a sign of the times though.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:07 pm

SID?
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:40 pm

mtrout wrote:Agree.

However rarely have I been to the game where, while in line, I see some dude's GF get turned away because her bag is 6" too long. I guess that's a sign of the times though.

Do you go to many Away games because I've seen greater security at other schools. Pretty much SOP these days. Baylor last year was much much tighter-took 3 times as long as SMU almost an hour before the game
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mtrout » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Stallion wrote:
mtrout wrote:Agree.

Do you go to many Away games because I've seen greater security at other schools. Pretty much SOP these days. Baylor last year was much much tighter-took 3 times as long as SMU almost an hour before the game

You're right. Try telling that to Muffy though.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU SID » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:52 am

newshound wrote:This is an ACTUAL ad on Facebook for an SMU football game in three weeks. It entices no one to come.

No, Ted. It's not an ad. We do use Facebook ads, but this is not one. This was something entered as a future event when the schedule was released (as were all games), not an ad.

You have my cell and other contact info. I'm not on the board (or Facebook) all the time, so that's the fastest way to reach me with any questions.

Thanks, PFers!
SMU SID
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:44 pm

I like these in your face responses from the SID.
ponyboy

Postby Mexmustang » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:35 pm

You really lost your head on this one...everyone knows we don't do ads!

In fact we don't do any material promotion at all for football. SID, take that to our water boy AD. Let him know that in the private sector we all know that you have invest in promotions, etc. to increase sales and revenues, you have to do more than sit in your office or follow Paul Lloyd on the sidelines,
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:12 pm

ponyboy wrote:I like these in your face responses from the SID.

Yeah he called him out by first name too , got to love it 8-)
One Trick Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:13 pm

Mexmustang wrote:You really lost your head on this one...everyone knows we don't do ads!

In fact we don't do any material promotion at all for football. SID, take that to our water boy AD. Let him know that in the private sector we all know that you have invest in promotions, etc. to increase sales and revenues, you have to do more than sit in your office or follow Paul Lloyd on the sidelines,

If you advertised mad cow disease you're probably not going to sell it even if it's on television 24 hours a day :cry:

No one's advertised basketball either
One Trick Pony

Postby gostangs » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:16 pm

Mexmustang wrote:You really lost your head on this one...everyone knows we don't do ads!

Although following pal Lloyd on the sidelines would be a much better use of time then listening to Mex about anything.
gostangs

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:49 pm

Paul is rarely on the sideline.
smusic 00

Return to Football