PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bowl Eligible

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bowl Eligible

Postby gostangs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:57 pm

Congrats to the team on an important milestone. I think we will get 7 or 8, but this a very needed step. Lots of hard work needs to be recognized.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Bowl Eligible

Postby Arkpony » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:58 pm

Hear, hear!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby birddogger » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:15 am

Hubba hubba!
birddogger
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:20 am

We swept the 3 games I thought in the preseason we're the keys to making a Bowl-Arkansas St, Cincy on the road and Tulsa who played very well tonite. Great job-got it done despite trailing almost entire game
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:41 am

That was a rough game to watch
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:44 am

Awesome win! That was brutal to watch especially with the Astros World Series game going on. Hopefully we can upset a couple teams and beat Tulane so we can win the most games in a long time in the history of the program.
mustangxc

Postby ponyte » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:24 am

mrydel wrote:That was a rough game to watch

It really was. Seemed we didn't play that well or that hard but found a way to win. Or Tulsa found a way to loss. Not sure.
ponyte

Postby sail420s » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:39 am

It really was. Seemed we didn't play that well or that hard but found a way to win. Or Tulsa found a way to loss. Not sure.

The big difference I see is we ALWAYS lost these games. This is now two games that SMU found a way to win. I was on the replace Hicks bandwagon, but he has made strides in the past few games. He is definitely improving. I am still on the replace Malone bandwagon, but the defense has come up big late in games after looking completely dreadful. We'll see if this continues...
sail420s
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:21 am

Congrats to the team and these coaches. Have to feel especially good for the seniors who have had so little to celebrate at SMU
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:56 am

sail420s wrote:

The big difference I see is we ALWAYS lost these games. This is now two games that SMU found a way to win. I was on the replace Hicks bandwagon, but he has made strides in the past few games. He is definitely improving. I am still on the replace Malone bandwagon, but the defense has come up big late in games after looking completely dreadful. We'll see if this continues...

I agree. How many times in the last several years have we been on the opposite side of these games? We are definitely seeing a change in the program I hope will continue. Looking forward to defensive strides next year which should put us solidly at the top tier of the AAC.
mrydel

Postby AusTxPony » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:49 am

Loved the classy comment (DMN article on SMUmustangs) from Morris re: parents got to see their trust in staff's promises and their son's decision play ball at SMU pay off. I hadn't thought of that, but it is a good point.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:53 am

Snippy article in the Arkansas paper today about the call against the Tulsa receiver for prancing. I am sure it is in the DMN and others. Makes it sound like we would have lost had it not been made and that it was a nitpicking call.

While I believe the rule should be changed, I do not concede the win just because of the call.
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:12 am

= 4

I'm assuming a touchdown is 6 points with a possibility of missing the additional point. Just based on the facts without the gift from the refs yes this is a loss.
One Trick Pony

Postby JasonB » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:26 am

One Trick Pony wrote:38
= 4

I'm assuming a touchdown is 6 points with a possibility of missing the additional point. Just based on the facts without the gift from the refs yes this is a loss.

They kicked a field goal on the possession, so it was a 4 point swing, not a 7 point swing... if you are really going down that path, it is an OT game...
JasonB

Postby gostangs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:32 am

You can say the rule is bad, but the call was correct. It would have been a gift to Tulsa had it not been called . Technically correct - but agree it is a weird rule. yardage should be applied to the kickoff, not take points off the board.
gostangs

Next

Return to Football