PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Brutal Fact: The 2 Greatest Moments in Last Half Decade.....

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Brutal Fact: The 2 Greatest Moments in Last Half Decade.

Postby sbsmith » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:34 am

RGV Pony wrote:
Oh and Memphis wasn't sro last night either

With fan support like that it's going to be another busy offseason for the AAC Coaching Carousel.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:38 am

Not justifying fan apathy, but the cold, hard truth is that we all knew attendance would be a disaster this season when they released the schedule. Matchups matter for attendance at SMU, regardless of how good the team is. That’s always been the case, even in the 1980s. Attendance will be better next year because we have UH and TCU, our only remaining true rivals, at home. Tulsa, UConn, etc. will never draw squat to Ford Stadium for football.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:41 am

I thought Tulsa actually showed pretty well for a Friday night game in less than optimal weather.

I will never understand SMU fans not going to games. It just doesn't make any sense.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:43 am

Sorry I had to Google SRO as I'm stepping up my Words With Friends game.
One Trick Pony

Postby Nacho » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:46 am

We have lost 2 generations of fans. Not an easy fix.
Nacho

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:48 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:I thought Tulsa actually showed pretty well for a Friday night game in less than optimal weather.

I will never understand SMU fans not going to games. It just doesn't make any sense.

SMU fans do attend our games. The problem is that we just don't have many really loyal fans. I chalk it up to post death-penalty decisions that rendered the program non competitive and further damaged an existing culture of only supporting a winner. I think we lost 25 years of opportunity to cultivate students/future alumni that can be counted on to support SMU football and it is really showing now
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:54 am

Man I still can't believe there are college football fans that actually think Chad Morris won't get P5 offers if he gets SMU to 7+ wins. They are coming-and there are more good jobs than good coaching prospects likely to be open. Arkansas, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Missouri, maybe Tech, maybe A&M.

Some of our own fans are completely clueless about the resume, reputation and national recognition of our head coach. He is the highest paid G5 Coach in the Country for a reason. Recruiting a National Championship roster, successfully installing Top 10 Offenses at Tulsa, Clemson and SMU, recruiting and training a Heisman runner-up, and then taking SMU +6 in 3 years at SMU would make him perhaps the No. 1 G5 coaching prospect. He is relentless in recruiting.

Arkansas should have Chad Morris at their No. 1 target to finally get back into the Texas recruiting game which is the only way they compete in the SEC West.

BTW Chad Morris has excelled in recruiting in the Midwest (Tulsa) and Southeast (Clemson). It would be best if he stayed near Texas but he's proven he recruit a National Championship roster in the Southeast. Be prepared Mustang fans for the P5 offers to start flowing for Morris. He'll be at the Top of the list for multiple P5 openings if we get to 7+ wins.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:04 pm

I think Ole Miss is solidifying an opening at Arkansas.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:11 pm

Brutal scene in the fourth quarter, no other word for it. Lots of factors going against is last night from the cold, to late kickoff on a Friday night, to the game being on tv. Don't really blame individuals for having reasons not to be there but collectively it is sad. Lots of folks behind the glass upstairs but that doesn't help the team.
Hoop Fan

Postby GiddyUp » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:17 pm

One of the worst possible scheduled games with our fanbase.....bitter cold, World Series, Woodrow & HP games, Fri night of Halloween, etc, etc. A good majority left at halftime. Club was decently filled.

SMU fans can always make excuses and a game like this is not on the top of their list. Student did ok when Chad first got here but it went back to normal now.

Surely Chad is gone after this year if he wins another game. Despite all the accolades Stallion mentioned, he has some growing up to do on his staff and game decisions. Yes, I would think Ark goes after him very hard or the Memphis coach.

20-25 years later, still talking about the same [deleted]. We have 7-10K fans that fill up Moody, that's it folks. They buy 2-4 extra tickets.

Guess I need to change my avatar..haha

Great sack to get bowl eligible, reminded me of the UTEP game to get to a bowl. Awesome, we are usually on the other end of all the weird calls and refs nonsense.
Last edited by GiddyUp on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GiddyUp

Postby mrydel » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Arkansas may not act quickly enough to get Chad. They truly believe they are worthy of much more. Some already think Gruden will come. Chip Kelly is next. Stoops. Etc. By the time they realize they will not get them, Chad will probably be at Ole Miss.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby malonish » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:06 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:It was very tasteless of the Mustang band to make the team and the fans who stayed for the whole game in the cold wait to sing Varsity so they could shoehorn in their little dance, but thanks to all of the fans who stuck it out. Sad there were so few of us.

And thanks to Coach Morris and the team for making this a good and potentially great season!

Go Ponies!

If the band would have looped Beans more than once like usual- I saw older players lining up out front to do the dance for the 2nd round and they were ready to go and show the rest of the guys what to do. Ask them and they would probably say it should have gone longer.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:33 pm

Internet exploding with fans of USC, Florida, Arkansas, Tennessee, Ole Miss all targeting Chad Morris as their No. 1 choice but Defensive coordinator JasonB says Morris needs 10 wins to get P5 job
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby edwa » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Disagree that its freshmen going to the games, i go to every game and useally are 2nd row right behind mustang 11, the people that go are the same group every game, there is a very small ammount of students that care about smu athletics and u seen them in the mob and at football games. Freshmen dont care, its a consistent group of students from all ages.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby SmooBoy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:39 pm

malonish wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:It was very tasteless of the Mustang band to make the team and the fans who stayed for the whole game in the cold wait to sing Varsity so they could shoehorn in their little dance, but thanks to all of the fans who stuck it out. Sad there were so few of us.

And thanks to Coach Morris and the team for making this a good and potentially great season!

Go Ponies!

If the band would have looped Beans more than once like usual- I saw older players lining up out front to do the dance for the 2nd round and they were ready to go and show the rest of the guys what to do. Ask them and they would probably say it should have gone longer.

And it's what college football and student spirit are about-a completely organic moment where the players and coaches connect with the band and students. Lord knows we could use a few more genuinely cool moments in a dead stadium.
SmooBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Football