PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Brutal Fact: The 2 Greatest Moments in Last Half Decade.....

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Brutal Fact: The 2 Greatest Moments in Last Half Decade.

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:46 pm

GiddyUp wrote:One of the worst possible scheduled games with our fanbase.....bitter cold, World Series, Woodrow & HP games, Fri night of Halloween, etc, etc. A good majority left at halftime. Club was decently filled.

SMU fans can always make excuses and a game like this is not on the top of their list. Student did ok when Chad first got here but it went back to normal now.

Surely Chad is gone after this year if he wins another game. Despite all the accolades Stallion mentioned, he has some growing up to do on his staff and game decisions. Yes, I would think Ark goes after him very hard or the Memphis coach.

20-25 years later, still talking about the same [deleted]. We have 7-10K fans that fill up Moody, that's it folks. They buy 2-4 extra tickets.

Guess I need to change my avatar..haha

Great sack to get bowl eligible, reminded me of the UTEP game to get to a bowl. Awesome, we are usually on the other end of all the weird calls and refs nonsense.

I love that Avatar
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby malonish » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:57 pm

SmooBoy wrote:
malonish wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:It was very tasteless of the Mustang band to make the team and the fans who stayed for the whole game in the cold wait to sing Varsity so they could shoehorn in their little dance, but thanks to all of the fans who stuck it out. Sad there were so few of us.

And thanks to Coach Morris and the team for making this a good and potentially great season!

Go Ponies!

If the band would have looped Beans more than once like usual- I saw older players lining up out front to do the dance for the 2nd round and they were ready to go and show the rest of the guys what to do. Ask them and they would probably say it should have gone longer.

And it's what college football and student spirit are about-a completely organic moment where the players and coaches connect with the band and students. Lord knows we could use a few more genuinely cool moments in a dead stadium.

Can't remember what year but people on here complained that the redshirt players danced to beans during a game. God forbid they get in the spirit.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:18 pm

78pony wrote:I tend to agree with most of this post. I said something to a guy leaving at halftime and his stuttering and stammering made me think that he felt he had fulfilled his obligation to a team effort that he thought was cxxp. Can't say that he shouldn't have felt that way at least to a degree. Then a few minutes ago I ran into a guy that I always see at games and he said that he and several of his buddies were at the HP game due to family involvement and a couple others he socialized with made the decision to watch us and the astros on tv (too cold, we aren't as good as our record might suggest, and if you can fathom this, they didn't want to get home at midnight or later). Do we have bandwagon fans, no doubt. Do we have spoiled students, I say yes again. Have we put a product on the field long and consistently enough to impact the way both friend and foe think of us; to this I say no, not yet. I think we are somewhat of a curiosity and that's not good enough to overcome certain options that the entertainment dollar and time present. At least yet. Win next week and you might begin to make some headway.

Is saying something to the <1% of Dallas that attends a game really a good way to go about things?

I had to leave the UConn game early because my wife wasn't feeling well. A fan and a security guard gave us some razz about leaving early. It's not really a good look. How about a "thanks for coming"?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Stallion wrote:Internet exploding with fans of USC, Florida, Arkansas, Tennessee, Ole Miss all targeting Chad Morris as their No. 1 choice but Defensive coordinator JasonB says Morris needs 10 wins to get P5 job

I'm looking at it from both Chad's perspective as well as the perspective of an AD.

There are going to be a lot of coaches available this year, as well as a lot of openings. Just like every year.

As an AD, who is a more attractive coach? Frost or Morris? Why do you think that is? Arkansas and Tennessee are going to have a lot of other coaches lined up before Morris, IMHO. If we run the table and end up with 10 wins, sure, that equation totally changes. Much more likely, I think we would both agree, is that we lose out and end up 6-6 because of the Tulane rushing attack or go 7-5. So, now I have to sell my program that alumni think should be a top 10 program on why I am going to hire a coach that had barely more wins in the G5 than the coach we just fired in the SEC?

From Morris' perspective, he is 50. He has one shot to get a big gig. He is making a ton of money here and has a good thing going in recruiting and building this thing upwards. If I am here, I don't leave unless the situation is perfect. I want a job where I can use my recruiting ties to the maximum. Because if I move up to P5 and it doesn't work out, where do I go now? I WANT the A&M job. I crave the A&M job. Tennessee and Arkansas are one thing, but as stated above, I don't think they are coming. Tennessee keeps failing on the up and coming coach and Arkansas thinks a heck a lot of themselves. Arkansas in particular would be attractive to Morris because he can recruit Texas. I don't think it is happening because he doesn't have the wins. But Ole Miss with their recruiting restrictions that are coming? Seriously? Tech is a dead end job right now with the strength of TCU, UT, OU, and going 7-5 or 8-5 at Tech isn't going to get him the A&M job, or any of the big jobs. Morris is smart enough to realize that.

His best bet at the big jobs that he wants is to stay here and get that ten win season. They aren't coming until it happens. The best comparison is Taggart. Everyone saw what he was building at USF. But the big offers didn't come until he had the 11 win season, and then he went to Oregon.

If he leaves for one of the mid-tier P5 schools, it is a sign that, yes, the attendance and lack of IPF are impacting recruiting, and he doesn't see the team on the upswing anymore. But I don't think that is the case just yet.
JasonB

Postby Terry Webster » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:11 pm

The Houston usf game isn't real well attended either...and that is a ranked team.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang07 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:25 pm

A lot of people here just don’t get it. Morris almost left for Baylor last year. Baylor. They are 0-8 right now. Chad will go if he gets a decent offer. If he wins 8 games he will get several good offers.
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:49 pm

SMUstang07 wrote:A lot of people here just don’t get it. Morris almost left for Baylor last year. Baylor. They are 0-8 right now. Chad will go if he gets a decent offer. If he wins 8 games he will get several good offers.

No, I agree with a lot of what JasonB says. Chad has had opportunities but has been very calculating with his career. At his age, I think he will be very careful about his next move...maybe hoping to make it his last move. Another factor in wherever he goes next is whether he will be able to hire/bring his own staff. That is not always a given. My prediction is that he goes somewhere he thinks he can compete for a National Championship, i.e., qualify for that 4 team playoff within 4-5 years. I do agree that if he sees recruiting kids to SMU becoming more difficult, he might take yet another stepping stone job but it would be one where he could turn things around in 2-3 years (but might not be able to reach that Final 4 level.
Charleston Pony

Postby 78pony » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:02 pm

mtrout wrote:
78pony wrote:I tend to agree with most of this post. I said something to a guy leaving at halftime and his stuttering and stammering made me think that he felt he had fulfilled his obligation to a team effort that he thought was cxxp. Can't say that he shouldn't have felt that way at least to a degree. Then a few minutes ago I ran into a guy that I always see at games and he said that he and several of his buddies were at the HP game due to family involvement and a couple others he socialized with made the decision to watch us and the astros on tv (too cold, we aren't as good as our record might suggest, and if you can fathom this, they didn't want to get home at midnight or later). Do we have bandwagon fans, no doubt. Do we have spoiled students, I say yes again. Have we put a product on the field long and consistently enough to impact the way both friend and foe think of us; to this I say no, not yet. I think we are somewhat of a curiosity and that's not good enough to overcome certain options that the entertainment dollar and time present. At least yet. Win next week and you might begin to make some headway.

Is saying something to the <1% of Dallas that attends a game really a good way to go about things?

I had to leave the UConn game early because my wife wasn't feeling well. A fan and a security guard gave us some razz about leaving early. It's not really a good look. How about a "thanks for coming"?

Ok, thanks for coming.
78pony
Heisman

Postby 82Pony » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:02 pm

First of all I love Morris and want to keep him, but If we lose our next four games, and I think the odds are we will, Morris isn't leaving. If we beat Tulane and go 7 and 5, I don't know that Tennessee, Ole Miss, or Arkansas will want him. His recruiting isn't world beating. Our 2017 recruiting class was ranked 7th in the AAC. We are currently ranked 6th (AAC) for 2018. I agree with JasonB, Morris won't leave for a Kansas type P5 school. If we can beat UCF and Memphis he will get some major buzz and then maybe we can panic.
82Pony
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:06 pm

78pony wrote:
mtrout wrote:

Ok, thanks for coming.

:lol:
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:41 pm

I bet that kids bounce house was rockin’ 11:30pm, on a Friday night, after 3+ hours in low-40s windy weather...come on, guys. That game had “only students and +50-year old fan attendance” written all over it.

SMU has put the frats as far from the stadium as possible and even gave them a nice Octoberfest-style tent yesterday to further make them un-enticed. So it was up to the veterans. Put the frats near the Doak statue, make it fun as hell, but fence them in so they have to go to the stadium once they get in.
SMUer

Brutal Fact: The 2 Greatest Moments in Last Half Decade.....

Postby mrydel » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:06 pm

All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Hey those kid's daddies pay a lot of money for SMU-they are entitled to 10 win seasons for that kind of money before they support the program
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby skyscraper » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:44 pm

There might have been about 40 people left in 105 at the final whistle.
It is what it is, but it was surreal to hit bowl eligibility in front of maybe 2k.
skyscraper

Postby mrydel » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:51 pm

I was the only person on my row in 104 late until some squatters moved in.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Football