PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SEC Coaching Situation

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SEC Coaching Situation

Postby 03Mustang » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:06 pm

I honestly don't see any reason to think he is coming back at this point. Call it progress - we finally had a coach someone wanted.

I just hope we have a plan for the next guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Stallion wrote:Ha! You guys just now noticing this? There are going to be too many great job openings for Morris not to have multiple options to leave for great jobs. Nebraska and I assume UCLA too. Oregon St has an interim Coach. Texas Tech is in play. What's going to happen with Todd Graham at Arizona St. Morris is the Top paid G5 Coach for a reason.

*cough*
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84374&p=1247131&hilit=morris#p1247131
*cough*

Half the SEC jobs are gonna be open this year but I honestly don't see him making a move until A&M decides. Tech still has Baylor on the schedule and may get to a bowl this year - pretty boy is fighting hard for his job. Same thing with 4-4 Arizona State, who has yet to play Oregon State.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby dr rc » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:37 pm

PonyTime wrote:So who do we get when chad leaves?

Seth Littrell seems to be doing a pretty good job at North Texas.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby Black Horseshoe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:38 pm

Had a handshake deal with Lincoln, see if he will still honor it
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:25 pm

so..so ..SMU. To be planning for the worst when we have just eked into eligibility and are likely to drop three in a row right when these programs will be poking around. They aren't going to pay 5 mil a year for a promise and guess. They will want to buy a sure thing.

Just enjoy what we hope is a great season and a continental US bowl game.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby leopold » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Maybe. But it's also reality. Besides, what's the point of having a board like this without a little drama?
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Apparently Mcelwain firing is now official with Randy Shannon taking over as interim Head Coach. Jimmy Sexton is Mcelwain's agent-must have forgotten to get Florida alumni promises in written contract like forgetting that IPF in Morris' contract

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... rd-season/
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby stc9 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:44 pm

Living in North Florida, reading how UF is trying to turn the firing into a firing with cause. I guess they want to bring McElwain to the table to negotiate his buy out.

AAC Coaches (or former Coaches) that are already on the list according to local news.
1. Chad Morris - they acknowledge that this is a long shot and he probably wants a P-5 job in the Texas.
2. Scott Frost - this one seems to gaining legs. He has done a great job with UCF
3. Charlie Strong - he has been at UF several times in his career. He knows every HS Coach in the state and gets along well with them. His big drawback is a perception thing, i.e. His time at Texas.
4. Mike Norvell - the job he has done taking over for Justin Fuente at Memphis puts him towards the top of the list.
5. Justin Fuente - this one also seems a longer shot, he has the same shot at getting into the playoffs at VT as he does at UF (A) He doesn't have to play Alabama B) VT traditionally give more rope than UF to build what you want).

Other names mentioned:
1. Bob Stoops - at least make the phone call to see if he is really retired.
2. Chip Kelly
3. John Gruden - who according to Tennessee is a lock to go there.
4. Steve Spurrior - I'm in the hell NO camp, but he will always have a sentimental following. I guess people forgot how he would go on his coach's show and trash his players by name.
5. Mike Gundy - he apparently has a rocky relationship with T. Boone and now might be a good time to get out for a premier job.
6. Gary, I [deleted] you not, Fatterson - As much as I hate him, he is a once in a generation type coach. However, his slimy antics after a loss would get him shown the door no matter how much promise he shows early.
7. Rand Shannon - care taker. No shot at the actual job. Will keep it, if and only if, they don't find the candidate they want.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby Dwan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:11 pm

Scott Frost might be in the odd situation of having to turn down Nebraska......
Dwan
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:15 pm

That would be kind of funny-although I don't see it happening-a real kick in the groin for the has-been Nebraska program
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby stc9 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:21 pm

Dwan wrote:Scott Frost might be in the odd situation of having to turn down Nebraska......

Before Steve Spurrior there was no competition between Nebraska and Florida as to prestige of program. Spurrior and later Meyer made the Florida job a premier destination job. Since Osbourne retired, Nebraska is just a job with a great, distant history. Frost could literally take the UF job and if it doesn't work out, take The Nebraska job in two or three years.
stc9
Heisman

Postby Dwan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:22 pm

I'm sure his heart is in Lincoln....but man, his resume is prime for a lot of these SEC openings. Wonder if Nebraska moves to fire Riley now. Aside from Frost, they don't have a deep pool of impressive candidates looking to take that job. Also, Jimbo Fisher must be really happy this is happening, takes a lot of attention away from the dumpsterfire that is FSU's season.
Dwan
Heisman

Postby stc9 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:30 pm

FSU's injuries are giving Jimbo a grace period this year as he re-tools. The big money boosters in this area seem really understanding and like him as a coach/person. They seem to have written this year off. If next year is similar to this year, things will get really uncomfortable in Tallahassee.

Florida being a disaster has greatly enhanced their magnanimous attitude.
stc9
Heisman

Postby oilpony » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Stallion wrote:Ha! You guys just now noticing this? There are going to be too many great job openings for Morris not to have multiple options to leave for great jobs. Nebraska and I assume UCLA too. Oregon St has an interim Coach. Texas Tech is in play. What's going to happen with Todd Graham at Arizona St. Morris is the Top paid G5 Coach for a reason.

https://locations.whataburger.com

No way in the world he goes to Nebraska or UCLA. NO WHATABURGERS! :lol:
oilpony
All-American

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:48 pm

If you think Chad is going to hang around you are delusional. Maaaaayyyybe will stay another year, but after that it's goodbye
Pony ^

PreviousNext

Return to Football