PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who will be our next head coach?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who will be our next head coach?

Postby skyscraper » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:50 pm

I kinda feel bad starting this thread considering we just clinched bowl eligibility and have a big game this Saturday... but I'm also realistic.
I honestly have no idea who Chad's replacement would be.
I was prepared for Lincoln Riley to roll in here, but that plan blew up (obviously) over the summer.
So who will be our next head coach?
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Who will be our next head coach?

Postby Nacho » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:10 pm

craddock
Nacho

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:17 pm

Napoleon Dynamite
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:24 pm

my very credible sources tell me that Tom Rossley was on campus last week meeting with the football coaching staff....is there any way Rossley might be our interim coach in the bowl game if god forbid Chad bails?
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby econpony'10 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:31 pm

Better question... How much $$$ would it take for Chad to stay? Whatever that number is, we need to make it happen. He is our Gary Patterson, we need to find a way.
econpony'10
Recruit

Postby Nacho » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:34 pm

did anyone ever make a serious attempt to steal fatterson?
Nacho

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:15 pm

If we play to our paper SMU will be 8-16 in AAC play under Morris.

He'll be back next year unless we somehow get to 8 wins.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:18 pm

econpony'10 wrote:Better question... How much $$$ would it take for Chad to stay? Whatever that number is, we need to make it happen. He is our Gary Patterson, we need to find a way.

I concur. Is there any way possible that we can quit this pennywise / pound foolish nonsense? I would much rather show Coach Morris some (well-deserved) love rather than starting over again. Is it really worth the risk?
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Arkpony » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:20 pm

CM will not leave us for money..that is only a small factor.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:25 pm

we should have started recognizing the foundation he laid after Year 2. Nobody cares about losses in Year 1 -in fact it just reinforces the great job he's done since he won twice as much as his predecessor. If he gets to 7 wins the number to look at is +6-who cares how he did with the predecessors players in Year 1-nobody. Plus his superlative performance before ever getting to SMU makes all that nonsense irrelevant. It is amazing our own fanbase doesn't recognize the market value of our own Coach who we all agreed was a home-run hire. He was a Grade A hire in 2015 and his resume will be much stronger with 7 wins and a Top 10 Offense
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Digetydog » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Stallion wrote:we should have started recognizing the foundation he laid after Year 2. Nobody cares about losses in Year 1 -in fact it just reinforces the great job he's done since he won twice as much as his predecessor. If he gets to 7 wins the number to look at is +6-who cares how he did with the predecessors players in Year 1-nobody. Plus his superlative performance before ever getting to SMU makes all that nonsense irrelevant. It is amazing our own fanbase doesn't recognize the market value of our own Coach who we all agreed was a home-run hire. He was a Grade A hire in 2015 and his resume will be much stronger with 7 wins and a Top 10 Offense

There are going to be at least 4 SEC jobs, 2-3 B12 jobs, 2-3 P12 jobs, plus ACC & B10 jobs. Reality: Morris is likely to get one.

My pick: HC Venables with Craddock as OC.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:23 pm

Digetydog wrote:
Stallion wrote:we should have started recognizing the foundation he laid after Year 2. Nobody cares about losses in Year 1 -in fact it just reinforces the great job he's done since he won twice as much as his predecessor. If he gets to 7 wins the number to look at is +6-who cares how he did with the predecessors players in Year 1-nobody. Plus his superlative performance before ever getting to SMU makes all that nonsense irrelevant. It is amazing our own fanbase doesn't recognize the market value of our own Coach who we all agreed was a home-run hire. He was a Grade A hire in 2015 and his resume will be much stronger with 7 wins and a Top 10 Offense

There are going to be at least 4 SEC jobs, 2-3 B12 jobs, 2-3 P12 jobs, plus ACC & B10 jobs. Reality: Morris is likely to get one.

My pick: HC Venables with Craddock as OC.

Joe would go with Chad.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:37 pm

These days Defensive Coordinators never seem to get jobs-yet through history there are a bunch of good ones-Bob Stoops and Gary Patterson turned out alright. Todd Orlando is a good young Defensive Coordinator prospects
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby leopold » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:41 pm

Dave Aranda has said he wants to be a DC in the NFL but I would like us to give him a call.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:46 pm

Stallion wrote:These days Defensive Coordinators never seem to get jobs-yet through history there are a bunch of good ones-Bob Stoops and Gary Patterson turned out alright. Todd Orlando is a good young Defensive Coordinator prospects

Todd Orlando would be a very good pick for someone. He's helped UT's defense quite a bit. He helped UH's quite a bit. We almost hired him as HC but Applewhite was deemed to have more TX recruiting contacts. Now that Orlando has coached at UT for a year, he would have extra credibility with TX HS coaches.

Venables would be a huge pick if he doesn't go to KSU.

If rumors start coming out, I'd like to see how Morris deflects the attention. Hopefully better than Herman did. If he's going to go, at least get a Top 25 ranking. Did JJ ever achieve a top 25 ranking at SMU?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football