PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who will be our next head coach?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Who will be our next head coach?

Postby PonySnob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:26 pm

econpony'10 wrote:A random thought here but let's say we gave Chad $3.5 -$4MM to keep him here another 5 years and ACTUALLY broke ground on the IPF over the off season. With the path we are on now, taking the players that we have/ recruits committed could we really get this thing rolling in the next 1-5 years like all of us want it to?

Where does the money come from?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:36 pm

econpony'10 wrote:A random thought here but let's say we gave Chad $3.5 -$4MM to keep him here another 5 years and ACTUALLY broke ground on the IPF over the off season. With the path we are on now, taking the players that we have/ recruits committed could we really get this thing rolling in the next 1-5 years like all of us want it to?

Or he can make more money in the SEC, B12, or ACC and have a real opportunity to play in a New Year’sDay Bowl.

If they come with an offerandhe wants the challenge, we could match the money AND break ground on JerryWorld 2.0 and it wouldn’t matter.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 03Mustang » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:28 am

He would still be playing in front of fewer fans than he did when he was a high school coach...

It's time to plan for the next guy. CM has earned the next step and we don't deserve to keep him around.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby econpony'10 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:34 am

PonySnob wrote:

Where does the money come from?

I always thought it came from the tree in my backyard. The BLVD has a lot of trees
econpony'10
Recruit

Postby StangUp » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:48 am

Pony81 wrote:HCCM had many HC jobs offered while at Clemson. He chose SMU because we offered a significant salary increase, competitive salaries for assistants so he could a decent staff, and a recruiting budget that allowed for him to recruit ( tempo copter, social media and video staff etc.), plus it was in his recruiting wheel house.

He will look for the same qualities at his next gig:
1. Salary upgrade for him and assistant coaches
2. Recruiting budget to compete
3. The ability to recruit quality Texas kids

He hasn’t had Tom Herman success that will attract a top 20 program like a Texas or Florida or LSU.
But he has done enough to get the attention of Arkansas, Tech, Ole Miss and other 2nd tier P5 programs. My bet is if he can get the deal he wants at a place like Arkansas that he leaves. He must be itching to get back to full stadiums and great crowds like he experienced at Clemson. It’s only human nature.
Patterson stayed at TCU because they were always paying him ahead of the curve, gave him facilities he asked for and more importantly Ft. Worth got behind the team and he became a local celebrity.

Nailed it.
StangUp

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:52 am

This:
He must be itching to get back to full stadiums and great crowds like he experienced at Clemson.
Pony ^

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:00 pm

Human nature; everyone likes to be appreciated for the work they do and that includes our coaches and players
Charleston Pony

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:00 pm

Just listed to the Halloween press conference. Things get real interesting at the 11 minute mark. Obviously coach is pretty disgusted by the lack of fan support - used the word "disheartening" as he believes the product on the field is worthy of support. I think many would argue with him on that point. However the most glaring thing that stuck out to me is that he stated "we have all done what we said we came here to do". I know human nature is to see what you want to see, but his demeanor seems to have changed. If the crowd is abysmal this weekend I am certain he will go JJ and have his second foot out the door.

I will choose blame UCF for both departures.

I believe that if and when he leaves, he will leave for only a Texas school...A&M. He did not take Tech. He did not take Baylor. Herman has Texas. Patterson has TCU. Who else is there - Houston, Rice, UTSA, UTEP, UNT, and the few others. No way.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:06 pm

Let's get real he wasn't Texas Tech's No. 1 choice-he was 1 of 2 Finalists- but they picked the Hometown boy Coach Bro who was tied to the Leach legacy they wanted to re-establish, was a record setting Texas Tech QB, a "Face-Jock", and coached an 11-1 team at UH (with Case Kennum) and then the Johnny Manziel Heisman Trophy year at A&M. I love me some Chad Morris but he was not offered that job

As for whether Chad Morris will only take a Texas job we'll see. I think he'd prefer a Texas job and Tech and A&M may open up. I think most SMU fans that watched Navy tonite at least see a realistic path to as much as 8 wins now. That's a real danger zone for higher profile jobs. There are too many high profile SEC jobs opening up for him not to take a look-his name has been bandied about as one of the favorites at just about every one-Ole Miss, Arkansas, Florida and Tennessee especially in hometown written articles I've read

Those schools will start at 3.5-4 Million a year even if SMU doesn't try to make a competitive offer
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:19 am

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:Just listed to the Halloween press conference. Things get real interesting at the 11 minute mark. Obviously coach is pretty disgusted by the lack of fan support - used the word "disheartening" as he believes the product on the field is worthy of support. I think many would argue with him on that point. However the most glaring thing that stuck out to me is that he stated "we have all done what we said we came here to do". I know human nature is to see what you want to see, but his demeanor seems to have changed. If the crowd is abysmal this weekend I am certain he will go JJ and have his second foot out the door.

I believe that if and when he leaves, he will leave for only a Texas school...A&M. He did not take Tech. He did not take Baylor. Herman has Texas. Patterson has TCU. Who else is there - Houston, Rice, UTSA, UTEP, UNT, and the few others. No way.

Oh yeah it gets real good at the 11 minute mark-Its disheartening to see SMU's lack of support for this football program. He definitely emphasized that it was "disheartening". Only [deleted] would argue with him on this point. He has done EXACTLY what he came here to do. Let me set a realistic goal. There is no justified excuse for there not to be at a minimum 25,000 butts in seats with the best record in 35 years, bowl eligible, 6-2 fighting for a West Division Championship against the No. 15 undefeated team in the Country at Home for homecoming with a National Spotlight game on a historically glorious November Night. . This is a test SMU fans. This is one of those points where the program either trends up or down. If you ever have hope for the future of SMU Football you have to find a way to Ford Stadium on Saturday Night
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby leopold » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:24 am

If A&M calls then let him go. When Mamma calls you home, you go.

If anybody else calls, fight. Tech ain't a great job and it may not be worth being the next flash in the pan. Ole Miss could very well end up being another Baylor.

Frankly, it may take keeping Morris to get things like an IPF done. People may be more likely to make it a priority if we have a proven head coach who can garner some interest in the program. The program needs to put up a fight in a couple of areas and HCCM has shown he's worth the effort.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:24 am

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:Just listed to the Halloween press conference. Things get real interesting at the 11 minute mark. Obviously coach is pretty disgusted by the lack of fan support - used the word "disheartening" as he believes the product on the field is worthy of support. I think many would argue with him on that point. However the most glaring thing that stuck out to me is that he stated "we have all done what we said we came here to do". I know human nature is to see what you want to see, but his demeanor seems to have changed. If the crowd is abysmal this weekend I am certain he will go JJ and have his second foot out the door.

I have followed this program for far too long. To expect SMU fans to step up during this critical week is to set yourself up for disappointment, it simply won’t happen.

SMU desperately needs a Mustang Mania 2 marketing campaign to attract more fans. Should have done it this season as the ingredients were there for up and coming success (you don’t market a crap product tiki produced at the end of his tenure here, it’s throwing $$$ down a rat hole). Marketing must be a component of SMU’s FB budget, just as important as coaches salaries. Look at Rutgers, that’s what they did the decade prior to their admission into the B10. It paid off handsomely for them.

I know of no other way to solve this problem. Relying on ‘Wins’ ain’t going to do it.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:26 am

and HarvCrim,

I give you credit for maintaining your sense of humor. Nice UCF reference.
SoCal_Pony

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:18 pm

I guess if 'play defense' isn't part of "doing what we came here to do," he has somewhat of a point. Hopefully we don't get ten run ruled either in the next three games.
RGV Pony

Postby smitty329 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:35 pm

it's obvious he is disheartened - he stopped driving the golf cart around talking 8 students to class and begging them to go to the game.

Didn't Larry do an all-out recruiting effort for the basketball team?

If Chad flaunted some of his pretty boy future millionaires through the sororities, he might get more to attend - which would drive the fraternities to attend since all the sorority girls would be there - which would drive the non-greeks to attend since there are no parties - boom.
smitty329
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football