PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

6-2...middle finger to the following 10...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 6-2...middle finger to the following 10...

Postby orguy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:14 pm

mrydel wrote:
leopold wrote:
MV pony wrote:Turner puts the focus on the things he wants funded.

Exactly. Like Ford Stadium.

It's Turner who funded Ford. I've had multiple discussions with faculty who have said it was Turner using discretionary funds during the 'Capital Campaign' of the 90's that provided the majority of the money that went to that stadium - and believe me, they WEREN'T happy about it. This guy has back athletics ever since he showed up in 95 so - I"m sorry - any idea that he deserves blame for pre-tiki stuff is wrong, too.

And that's not all. Time and time again Turner has risked his administrative and academic neck on athletics, fighting an uphill battle against a faculty and admin that - rightfully - has reasons to not agree with him. It was Turner who wanted Brown for the BBall coach, a controversial decision if there ever was one, but a ballsy one that paid off.

We need to stop acting like he's Dean Wormer and give the guy credit. We don't need/want another Jock Sniffer like Shields was, and he's the furthest thing from a Pye you could hope for.
At least he shows up to the football games.

I agree with this post. To me Turner has been very much supportive of athletics while maintaining the integrity of the school.

Agreed. Tired of all the anti Turner B.S on this board.
orguy
All-American

Postby peruna81 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:15 pm

Pye to Turner....light years difference.

Sad that it took about that long to get to Turner....
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 78pony » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:20 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Turner receives blame IMO pre-tiki / pre-Model, but not afterwards.

I will add someone in honorable mention....then duck

Forrest Gregg

An honorable and respected man who IMO should have spoken out about the complete farce our program was operating under immediately post-DP. Stallion alluded to this awhile ago and I was glad he did as I thought I was the only one with that opinion.

Also, while I am being a complete [deleted]....will add that William Clements moves up my Top 5 list if for no other reason than that he gave a $100 million donation to UT-Medical and not SMU. I'll duck again.

I can buy most of this. Pre-tiki/model, post-model, no doubt a change of heart in there somewhere. Historically, I believe I've heard several on the Mustang Club board comment on RGT making a statement(s) at a meeting to the effect that he was ok with a +/- 6-6 team. And then the condescending attitude and laughing under his breath at TCU as they sucked it up under Hyman and in '98 their BoT approved a 3 phase plan for significant facilities upgrades, which was part and parcel of Hyman's mission to significantly elevate the program and have it positioned when a prize suitor came to call. TCU was doing major things in the '90's even before Fran arrived. SMU, hmmm.
78pony
Heisman

Postby f4shionablecha0s » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:43 pm

Get over it. No one born in the past 30 years even knows who Pye is.
f4shionablecha0s
Scout Team

Postby peruna81 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:21 pm

f4shionablecha0s wrote:Get over it. No one born in the past 30 years even knows who Pye is.

Perhaps that is all the more reason to know the past 30 years... who Pye was and what he did at SMU.

Prevents repeating past follies.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Turner's first responsibility is to the academic side. I believe he has done an outstanding job with a number of new academic buildings, dorms and new academic programs and let us not forget the Bush Presidential Library. At the same time he has insured a steady boost for virtually all athletic programs. We now have a state of the art tennis center, golf complex and special golf course, aquatic complex to be dedicated on Friday, Nov. 3d at 3 PM, Ford Stadium plus numerous additions and improvements, new crew facilities, new venues for equestrian, Moody is special as well as the new basketball training facility. I think those complaining about Turner should examine the facts before ever complaining about his support of athletics. I have seen him at virtually every away game football tailgate that I have attended for the past 12 years. The IPF is probably the only facility not completed and it is still in the progress of design, permitting and needs funding. Turner has been a tremendous fund raiser and should be given credit for these efforts since he arrived.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:22 pm

PoconoPony wrote:The IPF is probably the only facility not completed and it is still in the progress of design, permitting and needs funding.

This post could be from 2009.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:24 pm

Quite amusing to see people so vigorously defending Turner and even mocking those critical of him. Sure, there is a lot of blame to go around over the last 30 years but please know what you're talking about please.

We were terrible for his first 15 years on campus. At some point you stop only blaming the AD our coach for that sustained ineptitude.

Also is hilarious to hear it presented like he bucked the faculty like a heroic warrior. He is the freaking president for crying out loud. If he were really serious about getting the right curriculum in place to keep athletes eligible, he would have remembered his authority and got it done. It took a determined focused group of alums to force him to set up the majors in the education department just a few years ago... nearly 20 years after he came to SMU.

Also it's idiocy of another level to have a billion dollar campaign and not include money for IPF. This is not rocket science.

You guys act like Turner is some unfortunate victim of circumstance.

He has been great at attending games and has made better decisions the last 5 years.

But the buck stops somewhere other than the president's office if some of you are to be believed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:37 pm

Your post shows an incredible misunderstanding of the powers of a university President. New curriculum and in this case we are talking about an entirely new College of Education required new buildings, Professors, faculty and facilities which costs us well over 30-40 Million and had to be approved by the Board of Trustees. Turner also secured the funding for the College of Education where a very high percentage of our athlete take their classes. The seed donation by Harold and Annette Simmons was $25 Million Dollars and required the construction of what 3 different buildings. You can't just add a College of Education without years of fundraising, planning and construction
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 78pony » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:03 pm

PoconoPony wrote:Turner's first responsibility is to the academic side. I believe he has done an outstanding job with a number of new academic buildings, dorms and new academic programs and let us not forget the Bush Presidential Library. At the same time he has insured a steady boost for virtually all athletic programs. We now have a state of the art tennis center, golf complex and special golf course, aquatic complex to be dedicated on Friday, Nov. 3d at 3 PM, Ford Stadium plus numerous additions and improvements, new crew facilities, new venues for equestrian, Moody is special as well as the new basketball training facility. I think those complaining about Turner should examine the facts before ever complaining about his support of athletics. I have seen him at virtually every away game football tailgate that I have attended for the past 12 years. The IPF is probably the only facility not completed and it is still in the progress of design, permitting and needs funding. Turner has been a tremendous fund raiser and should be given credit for these efforts since he arrived.

Builds buildings - check
Academics - check
Tennis facility - check
Golf facility - check
Aquatic center - check
New dorms - check
Bush Library - check
Crew facilities - check
Equestrian facilities - check
IPF - assumed virtually "in progress"
Walking BLVD - check
Away games - check

If you agree that your football program is the university's face to the world, with basketball being say 1b, then I would think that with the exception of the Bush Library, all others are far enough down on the list as to have no discernable influence on Joe Q. Doe in Most places outside of Dallas/Metroplex/Texas. Facts examined. Next episode: SMU vs TCU facts since 1995. A tale of the tape.
78pony
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:39 pm

I hope we can all agree that given its many advantages over most schools (specifically its location, big $$ donors, endowment & overall reputation) SMU is a program that should consistently perform in the top half/top quarter versus its peers.

During K Pye’s 7 years at SMU, our FB program ranked 103rd out of 106 D1-A programs.

During G Turner’s 22 years at SMU, our FB program has ranked 107th out of 119 D1-A programs. As a point of reference, San Jose St is ranked 98th during this same time frame.

22 years is a looong time. Turner has to take a great deal of ownership for this futility. He is, after all, the President.
SoCal_Pony

Postby leopold » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:47 am

:? Well that's great.
By that measurement L. Don Shields may very well be SMU's greatest president - I mean, we had the best record in all of college football for five of his six years on the Hilltop, right? Nevermind that he was a jock sniffin' yes-man [deleted] - he did absolutely everything he could to get us wins on the football field. Thanks Donnie!

In the meantime, let me know when a college president (of an actual accredited university) is fired for having an underperforming football team. I'll be sure not to pay for my kid to go there.

I want to be careful here - I'm not saying the school has gotten it done. But I think some of ya'll better take a closer look at who is actually rowing and who isn't - Turner ain't the problem.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 78pony » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:47 am

leopold wrote::? Well that's great.
By that measurement L. Don Shields may very well be SMU's greatest president - I mean, we had the best record in all of college football for five of his six years on the Hilltop, right? Nevermind that he was a jock sniffin' yes-man [deleted] - he did absolutely everything he could to get us wins on the football field. Thanks Donnie!

In the meantime, let me know when a college president (of an actual accredited university) is fired for having an underperforming football team. I'll be sure not to pay for my kid to go there.

I want to be careful here - I'm not saying the school has gotten it done. But I think some of ya'll better take a closer look at who is actually rowing and who isn't - Turner ain't the problem.

Simply disagree. He was the problem, and for some time. Up to speed now, or at least closer, but the years when TCU and Baylor were getting their houses in order what were we doing? The president is the face and leader of your school. Already detailed on many posts that he can raise money for buildings and academic programs. But that’s only part of the job. Athletics and success in same are, whether you like it or not, what the majority of typical non-affiliated folks use to base first impression of the school on (Harvard, Stanford, etc . are exceptions). So where was the fundraising for athletics? Why make the decision to let the death penalty continue to influence what we did and who we were? A true leader could have bowed up and said you know, NCAA got us and then we added our own penalty with another year. But now our dues are paid, and watch out. We’re coming at you full force. We’ll do it right but we are not going to let the past dictate our future. I’m calling on all to rally and let’s make a commitment here and now to get this thing done.
78pony
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:59 am

let's not forget pye's role in this debacle. he did everything in his power to destroy the football program.
Nacho

Postby PonySnob » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:03 am

Didn't the faculty senate have a lot of control during the Pye era?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

PreviousNext

Return to Football