PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UNOFFICIAL SMU-UCF GAME THREAD

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UNOFFICIAL SMU-UCF GAME THREAD

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:12 pm

Tough loss in front of a decent Homecoming crowd by SMU standards. I just hope that effort inspires some of our fair weather fans to return and support this team against Tulane. I've always hated having a home game around Thanksgiving weekend because those games have always been some of the worst attended...and by that time the rumor mill about where Chad is going will be turning at full force.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:33 pm

That had to be one of the worst games I've ever watch. Believe me, I know we got murdered by Memphis last year and all that. This game was a win. Three critical drop passes from our top 3 receivers. A fumble in the end zone and a defense (albeit I thought kept us in the game) that gaved up 600+ yards of offense. Hicks made some amazing good and amazingly horrendous passes (in the ground several times). I'm sorry guys. I'm sure you guys can think i'm overreacting, stupid whatever. I'm sorry that was extremely hard to watch. We did everything in our power to not win this game. I thought with no stress about needing to get a bowl game that the guys wouldn't let things get into their heads. It's beyond disappointing. Yet I know 31-24 loss should be a pat on the back but I really thought at the worst if you take away the mental mistakes, this game should have been a 34-31 win.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:44 pm

Really? This was one of the top 3 or 4 games I've seen in the past 7 years. We go from the worst team in football and suddenly people expect us to be the Patriots now? I thought it was a great game. Sure we made some mistakes but it's sure a breath of fresh air for me.

It was like a real college football game! And on homecoming! Seriously.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:46 pm

I'm sorry man I can't take moral victories. We had numerous chances to win and we choked them away. They were a beatable team and we needed a signature win in front of a crowd that (whether they deserve or not) expects big wins. I'm sorry I'm just emotionally sick at games where we choke.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyte » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:46 pm

They played hard. A few mistakes hurt. Mainly dropped passes at the wrong time. D was s surprise.
ponyte

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:47 pm

ponyte wrote:They played hard. A few mistakes hurt. Mainly dropped passes at the wrong time. D was s surprise.

It's your fault ponyte you didn't do the Panic thread
One Trick Pony

Postby mtrout » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:49 pm

We lost to a top 20 undefeated team on homecoming by 7pts! OMG we're headed back to 2014!
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:58 pm

I can accept a loss. If they made better plays or if we just got out played I get it. I can’t stand choking away a game. I just can’t. I don’t care that we are on track and all the statistics. I saw three critical dropped passes from our top WRs and a fumble by a great RB. It’s just painful.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:13 pm

It was a very exciting and good game to watch. Poor execution at times but overall a fun game other than the final score. I personally am proud of the team other than the poor display of tackling.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:15 pm

Let's complain about the right things. First the sideline reporter with too much spray tan attempts to interrupt the "S-M-U" chant that was at its loudest during the entire game. Just wait. Then when UCF is on defense they start dancing and getting pumped up to the music being piped via the sound system - turn the flipping music off, don't let them continue their hyping spectacle.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:21 pm

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:Let's complain about the right things. First the sideline reporter with too much spray tan attempts to interrupt the "S-M-U" chant that was at its loudest during the entire game. Just wait. Then when UCF is on defense they start dancing and getting pumped up to the music being piped via the sound system - turn the flipping music off, don't let them continue their hyping spectacle.

Extremely valid points!
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:29 pm

[Office Guy 1] “Hey, did you watch the SMU game on Saturday!?”

[Office Guy 2] “Yeah, I took my wife and kids because they had a great deal going — $12 sideline tickets. Man those guys earned a hard-fought moral victory, huh?”

[Office Guy 1] “Yeah, they were playing a great team and really should have been blown out— but they weren’t!“

[Office Guy 2] “Gosh, doesn’t it feel good to lose by a little, when you could otherwise be losing by a lot?”

[Office Guy 1] “It does feel good. Can’t wait to get back out there for the next home game.”
SMUer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:35 pm

SMUer wrote:[Office Guy 1] “Hey, did you watch the SMU game on Saturday!?”

[Office Guy 2] “Yeah, I took my wife and kids because they had a great deal going — $12 sideline tickets. Man those guys earned a hard-fought moral victory, huh?”

[Office Guy 1] “Yeah, they were playing a great team and really should have been blown out— but they weren’t!“

[Office Guy 2] “Gosh, doesn’t it feel good to lose by a little, when you could otherwise be losing by a lot?”

[Office Guy 1] “It does feel good. Can’t wait to get back out there for the next home game.”

:lol: despite a dreary day at least there is some humor!
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:40 pm

SMUer wrote:[Office Guy 1] “Hey, did you watch the SMU game on Saturday!?”

[Office Guy 3] SMU football conference champs! 1-0 over UConn GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:29 am

mrydel wrote:It was a very exciting and good game to watch. Poor execution at times but overall a fun game other than the final score. I personally am proud of the team other than the poor display of tackling.

Tackling was much better than prior games. Defense was much better, against a much better offense. Imagine if this defense showed up against TCU? Need to stop the drive-killers, be it the fumble on the goal line or the myriad of dropped passes. But, this team is definitely on the right path and should beat Navy and Tulane. Should...should...should...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football