PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UNOFFICIAL SMU-UCF GAME THREAD

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UNOFFICIAL SMU-UCF GAME THREAD

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:31 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:That had to be one of the worst games I've ever watch. Believe me, I know we got murdered by Memphis last year and all that. This game was a win. Three critical drop passes from our top 3 receivers. A fumble in the end zone and a defense (albeit I thought kept us in the game) that gaved up 600+ yards of offense. Hicks made some amazing good and amazingly horrendous passes (in the ground several times). I'm sorry guys. I'm sure you guys can think i'm overreacting, stupid whatever. I'm sorry that was extremely hard to watch. We did everything in our power to not win this game. I thought with no stress about needing to get a bowl game that the guys wouldn't let things get into their heads. It's beyond disappointing. Yet I know 31-24 loss should be a pat on the back but I really thought at the worst if you take away the mental mistakes, this game should have been a 34-31 win.

Yes...you are overreacting, stupid, and whatever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:27 am

Arkpony wrote:Hicks blows it along with Sutton and Quinn

Maybe we should check their banking accounts next week :?:

Rass Roll :!: :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:55 am

We had ELEVEN offensive series that ended with zero points. Our defense made TEN stops which I wouldn’t have believed if told that pre-game. We punted from the UCF 37 and UCF 45, but later attempted a field goal at the UCF 30. We let a team that went 4-for-15 on third down, with three turnovers and 3/4 of our time of possession out-score us and put up +600 offensive yards on us. We blew it more than they won it.
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Arkpony » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:08 am

Agreed. We coulda won it.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Nacho » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:16 am

We gave up way to many big plays. Defense is bad. Real bad. We could have won that game with an average d. Their are guys out there who really don't want to tackle.
Nacho

Postby Black Horseshoe » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:27 am

People stayed to the end for the first time in a long time. Just keep building
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby TidePony » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:52 am

It was a good game, and like everyone else, I’m sick over the dropped passes and the fumble in the end zone. I hate losing, and I hate it when we beat ourselves.

I am proud of our crowd. The last time I saw a QB quiet a crowd was AJ McCarran doing it in Tuscaloosa against LSU - that’s remarkable. But, our GameDay presentation is egregious. The SMU chant was awesome and then SMU killed it. Bush League at best.

I’m proud of the strides we’ve made and I’ve upped my record projection to 8-4.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby BUS » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:05 am

Good - WOW to the defense... Hope this is what is to become for the rest of the year... with more tackles coming at level two. Toro tackles :-)

The O line did a great job all night.
Quit running the same play on first down. REALLY
On Sport Center they made it sound like Quinn lost game - That is wrong. All receivers dropped passes. WE BEAT OURSELVES TONIGHT.

Crowd - We got LOUD for the first time in years. HCCM and staff are doing it. Culture, recruits, training, strength, LIFE SKILLS... To keep him. " Pay his assistant coaches enough that they cant move with him to a new job without pay cut." Pay each 20K more... couple hundred K, combined would do it.

Again nice crowd and all that done with 2% marketing effort.
Go Mustangs Beat navy.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:06 am

Except that our budget for assistant doesn't even compare to that of the big boys in the P5 world
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:30 am

Puckhead48E wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:That had to be one of the worst games I've ever watch. Believe me, I know we got murdered by Memphis last year and all that. This game was a win. Three critical drop passes from our top 3 receivers. A fumble in the end zone and a defense (albeit I thought kept us in the game) that gaved up 600+ yards of offense. Hicks made some amazing good and amazingly horrendous passes (in the ground several times). I'm sorry guys. I'm sure you guys can think i'm overreacting, stupid whatever. I'm sorry that was extremely hard to watch. We did everything in our power to not win this game. I thought with no stress about needing to get a bowl game that the guys wouldn't let things get into their heads. It's beyond disappointing. Yet I know 31-24 loss should be a pat on the back but I really thought at the worst if you take away the mental mistakes, this game should have been a 34-31 win.

Yes...you are overreacting, stupid, and whatever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, bit of a [deleted] much? Geez some ponyfans really are just [deleted] with no friends.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:27 am

You did set yourself up for that response; appeared you had invited it and if that was one of the worst games you've ever watched...then you just haven't watched much college football
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:29 am

Charleston Pony wrote:You did set yourself up for that response; appeared you had invited it and if that was one of the worst games you've ever watched...then you just haven't watched much college football

Still a little [deleted] loner response.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:32 am

Go back and read your post.

"I'm sure you guys can think i'm overreacting, stupid whatever."

I thought Puckhead was just giving you the satisfaction of being right...isn't that what you wanted?

If you are going to follow SMU sports, you need to develop a sense of humor.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:41 am

Here are my thoughts:
- I liked the new defensive wrinkle. We actually played a nickel for the first time this season. On third and long, instead of using the 3 safety set or leaving our LBs in there, we subbed out a LB, let 28 play outside corner and let Lancaster play inside corner. It threw UCF off, they weren't expecting it. It closed down a lot of the space in the secondary.
- Overall, full credit to the defense. They played strong and aggressive. Sure, they gave up a ton of yards because of the long plays. And they got a lucky turnover. But they created the other two and forced a lot more punts than UCF is used to. Really a solid performance.
- The UCF quarterback is legit. Great mobility and made a few NFL throws. A couple of bad passes, but overall very impressed.
- UCF overall is a very good team. Great OL and DL. Great size and speed in secondary. They were able to man up on Quinn and Sutton, and their DL didn't give Hicks enough time to wait for them to get open. It was a bit of a gamble, but it paid off for most of the game.
- Hicks had happy feet. He was looking at the DL right when receivers would break free. That is a big reason the offense struggled for consistency. Receivers broke open, but by the time they did Hicks had already started running around whether it was warranted or not.
- We had this game and lost it. Coming into the game, whomever would convert opportunities was going to win. We scored ZERO points on our first SIX possessions on their side of the field. That is an amazing statistic, and we could have built a nice lead if we converted. Credit to the UCF defense.
- Sutton, Quinn, and Proche? Love you guys, but I just can't believe it.

All that said, UCF is a legit top 15 team in the country. The schedule this year is tough and will keep down the win total, but to be in year three of the Morris era, play two top 15 teams close, and actually could be accused of blowing both games, I would certainly say we are on track.

Memphis and Navy aren't as good as UCF or TCU. I'm just saying, there IS a chance!
JasonB

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:43 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Go back and read your post.

"I'm sure you guys can think i'm overreacting, stupid whatever."

I thought Puckhead was just giving you the satisfaction of being right...isn't that what you wanted?

If you are going to follow SMU sports, you need to develop a sense of humor.

Not after a game like that man. Getting blown out by Memphis, sure, but not a game you shoot yourself in the foot constantly.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football