PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UNOFFICIAL SMU-UCF GAME THREAD

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UNOFFICIAL SMU-UCF GAME THREAD

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:53 am

JasonB wrote:Here are my thoughts:
- I liked the new defensive wrinkle. We actually played a nickel for the first time this season. On third and long, instead of using the 3 safety set or leaving our LBs in there, we subbed out a LB, let 28 play outside corner and let Lancaster play inside corner. It threw UCF off, they weren't expecting it. It closed down a lot of the space in the secondary.
- Overall, full credit to the defense. They played strong and aggressive. Sure, they gave up a ton of yards because of the long plays. And they got a lucky turnover. But they created the other two and forced a lot more punts than UCF is used to. Really a solid performance.
- The UCF quarterback is legit. Great mobility and made a few NFL throws. A couple of bad passes, but overall very impressed.
- UCF overall is a very good team. Great OL and DL. Great size and speed in secondary. They were able to man up on Quinn and Sutton, and their DL didn't give Hicks enough time to wait for them to get open. It was a bit of a gamble, but it paid off for most of the game.
- Hicks had happy feet. He was looking at the DL right when receivers would break free. That is a big reason the offense struggled for consistency. Receivers broke open, but by the time they did Hicks had already started running around whether it was warranted or not.
- We had this game and lost it. Coming into the game, whomever would convert opportunities was going to win. We scored ZERO points on our first SIX possessions on their side of the field. That is an amazing statistic, and we could have built a nice lead if we converted. Credit to the UCF defense.
- Sutton, Quinn, and Proche? Love you guys, but I just can't believe it.

All that said, UCF is a legit top 15 team in the country. The schedule this year is tough and will keep down the win total, but to be in year three of the Morris era, play two top 15 teams close, and actually could be accused of blowing both games, I would certainly say we are on track.

Memphis and Navy aren't as good as UCF or TCU. I'm just saying, there IS a chance!

Sure hope you are right about UCF being better than Memphis and clearly they were the better team the day those 2 played. My take is that there is not a huge difference between SMU and the upper tier of the AAC which to me includes Memphis, Navy and Houston in the west and UCF and USF in the east. Would be nice to win at least one game against Navy or Memphis and to win that last game against Tulane. I would call this season a big success if SMU could win a bowl game and finish 9-4. Whether Chad stays or goes, the foundation is at least in place for continued success.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:54 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
That had to be one of the worst games I've ever watch
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:31 pm

Stallion wrote:SMU_Alum11 wrote:
That had to be one of the worst games I've ever watch

I stand by it. I can’t think of another game where we made so many crucial mistakes from such talented players all in one game. Like I said, I wouldn’t have said anything if UCF had trampled us from just talent perspective. This was a winnable game. Not on paper but what was left off the board.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:26 pm

1. We played toe to toe with #18 in the nation to the final minute
2. We Coulda, not Shoulda
3. In my opinion, any recruit we had at the game did not walk away with an impression of SMU any less than that with which they came.

Other than a lack of a win, it was not a bad evening.(Please no “other than that how was the play Mrs. Lincoln” remarks)
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:41 pm

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:48 pm

Stallion wrote:https://twitter.com/dctf/status/927003619899199489

I loved that man handling tackle!
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:20 pm

well looks like Delointe Scott is going to start since Tyeson Neals is out 2-3 weeks. Time for the big fella to turn it up-he's really made some big plays in last 2 weeks

Stallion

Postby ojaipony » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:16 pm

Well that sucks that Neals is out (missed that one). But I hope that was Scott's coming out party. Has the prototypical size at that position and has a good motor.
ojaipony

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:53 pm

Rare Occurrence Against UCF:

Best SMU Player on the Field:
#3 James Proche

Worst SMU Player on the Field
#3 Cedric Lancaster

I knew it was bad when I mentioned on Sunday that our CBs were not physical enough to bring down UCF Receivers in open field but geez after watching highlites, he was out of position, physically manhandled and literally frightened to hit anybody. He needs to sit. That was unacceptable-not up to Standards as Morris says. Let's see Justin-Guy Robinson or someone else. You don't have to watch the replay just watch the highlites because whenever UCF was making a big play #3 was probably spectacularly failing to do his job

Stallion

Previous

Return to Football