PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

On to Navy

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: On to Navy

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:37 pm

I was leaning towards 2 pt although convention says kick the point at home.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:55 pm

mrydel wrote:I was leaning towards 2 pt although convention says kick the point at home.

I was thinking "be aggressive and go for it". A close loss is a close loss and I like Sutton on a fade or decoy him and Quinn to same side and sneak a TE to the other side. We have yet to get our TEs involved as much as Morris did at Clemson. Might have something to do with the guys on the roster
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:33 pm

JasonB wrote:Who predicted a ten win season? I know that I pointed out that the coaching staff felt like this was a ten win talented team, but I predicted a 7 win season because of the difficult schedule.

JasonB wrote:
mavsrage311 wrote:Oh my JasonB, 10 wins!?

Take the DL now that is winning the line of scrimmage and add experience plus Gary and Badejo on a weight program plus the redshirted players. Best unit in conference?

Take a good secondary, give Davis, Sutton, Onu, Johnson, and Clemons a year of experience and that is the best unit in conference?

LB - Carlisle, Williams, Spears, and redshirts are all athletic and can run. They are just skinny and don't know what in the hell they are doing. Weight program and experience and this is an above average LB crew really quick.

Best defense in the conference next year? Top 2 at least.

On offense, we already generate 500 yards a game with a QB who isn't accurate and can't throw in the redzone and an OL that doesn't dominate. I'll put money down that one of the 4 QBs we have next year will step up and give us a massive step forward.

On the OL, between return from injury and redshirted freshmen, if the current starters aren't able to dominate at their position, they are going to get passed in the depth chart. K Smith is big and can move at LT, right now he just can't punch. Barton, Tedora, Webb, Smith with the strength program we will see a 2x improvement in the offensive line next season.

Top 2 offense + top 2 defense + 3 very winnable non-conference games + a bowl game = 10 wins.

So, yes, I went there and I am willing to bet on it if Vegas will take it when I am there in November.

Still think if we finish strong we could get to the AAC Championship game
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:56 pm

That was right after last season, before the schedule came out and we lost a couple of the guys I was hoping for at LB :). Go back to the prediction thread right before the season started...
JasonB

Postby SMUer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:08 pm

Other than 1Q TCU...has anything about our play-calling seemed aggressive? Of course we’d go to OT...we always play for OT.

That was the most disappointing part for me...we did have many opportunities to get the win, but our team didn’t play like they were on the cusp of achieving something spectacular.
SMUer

Postby ponypatrick » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:17 pm

SMUer wrote:Other than 1Q TCU...has anything about our play-calling seemed aggressive? Of course we’d go to OT...we always play for OT.

That was the most disappointing part for me...we did have many opportunities to get the win, but our team didn’t play like they were on the cusp of achieving something spectacular.

I agree. Some of Morris' conservative play calls don't help the team's confidence.
ponypatrick
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football