PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

On to Navy

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

On to Navy

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:04 pm

Well we won’t be winning 10 regular season games like someone predicted but if the team closes out the season strong they can still get to the AAC Championship game. Go SMU.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: On to Navy

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:08 pm

This team no longer controls it's own destiny in terms of being able to go to the AAC Championship (Houston beats us in a tie-breaker) but I'm just hopeful we can find a way to beat Navy. Can't say I'm thrilled about being their opponent on Veteran's Day but I think our guys should be accustomed to being everyone's Homecoming opponent
Charleston Pony

Postby ojaipony » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:08 pm

Navy is winnable. But I don't like that we are playing there. I hope our players didn't blow their load on UCF. Our offense can score on Navy.
ojaipony

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:21 pm

Navy won’t be a cakewalk but is winnable. And as we have seen in the past years we could lose as well. Got to put this game in the past quickly and get ready for the triple option.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:36 pm

The team really needs to get this dreadful game out of their heads. Just go out and play sound fundamental football like they have prior to this game, and we should sink navy. Just man this game is going to sting for days.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:48 am

Who predicted a ten win season? I know that I pointed out that the coaching staff felt like this was a ten win talented team, but I predicted a 7 win season because of the difficult schedule.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:57 am

I think most people who have really followed this program objectively felt like this bunch could win 6 or 7 regular season games and at least get a bowl bid. Would hate for these guys to finish 6-7 as that would be a worst case scenario for any future momentum, but while it is still at least possible this team could go 10-3 with a bowl win, an 8-5 finish is still pretty impressive and a 9-4 finish would be huge for recruiting and might help retain more of the current commits, even if Chad Morris moves on.
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:01 pm

Yes a 7 point loss to the No. 15 ranked team in the Country is "dreadful" Someone has the wrong Brain-Type for watching College Football
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby AusTxPony » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:27 pm

We can win the West if we win out. 3 way tie. SMU, Memphis, Houston. We each beat each other, next tie breaker is division record. Houston would be out, we beat Memphis head to head.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:33 pm

Stallion sure on paper, it looks great. If you were watching the game, it’s entirely different perspective. That game was ours in more than one occasion. It was a kick in the balls on every drop and the fumble in the end zone. Despite the yards, I felt like our defense was like the Baltimore ravens. They took advantage of opportunities that sadly our offense couldn’t strike back against. 3 and out after an interception sucks.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

On to Navy

Postby Grant Carter » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:46 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Stallion sure on paper, it looks great. If you were watching the game, it’s entirely different perspective. That game was ours in more than one occasion. It was a kick in the balls on every drop and the fumble in the end zone. Despite the yards, I felt like our defense was like the Baltimore ravens. They took advantage of opportunities that sadly our offense couldn’t strike back against. 3 and out after an interception sucks.

So a game against the #15 team was “ours in [sic] more than one occasion” but it was a dreadful performance. Got it.
Last edited by Grant Carter on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:55 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Stallion sure on paper, it looks great. If you were watching the game, it’s entirely different perspective. That game was ours in more than one occasion. It was a kick in the balls on every drop and the fumble in the end zone. Despite the yards, I felt like our defense was like the Baltimore ravens. They took advantage of opportunities that sadly our offense couldn’t strike back against. 3 and out after an interception sucks.

I doubt UCF fans will see things quite the same with their QB having thrown 2 INTs (one for a pick 6) and they won't forget Wyatt ripping the ball out of their guy's arms as he was approaching another score.
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:59 pm

plus UCF fumbled inside the 10 just like SMU. UCF was the better, more consistent team
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Fair but I’m talking about a momentum change. Had we not fumbled we would be, correct me if I’m recounting it different but 21-14 with a few minutes left in the half and their offense would have been pressured to tie it up before the end of the half and we would have gone into the locker room feeling good.

The three drops each from Sutton, Quinn and Proche were critical if 2 of those 4 things didn’t happen. You don’t think we could have won? Also don’t you think it was unusual for our top 3 WRs to drop the ball. It just felt sickening seeing something that unusual from them.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:33 pm

As we were driving before the Quinn drop, I started wondering whether Morris would kick the extra point (no guarantee with our kicking game) and settle for possible OT or whether he would go for 2 and a signature win. Have to admit I was disappointed he never got to make that decision. We could have debated that one for 15-20 pages
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Football