PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Great game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Great game

Postby PonyFan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:21 pm

I absolutely hate losing, but that is as encouraged as I have been after a loss in a long time.

Proche's long touchdown was incredible.
Defense hasn't swarmed like that in I don't know how long.
Hicks is becoming a decent runner.
Williams' long FG would have been good from 55. Maybe farther.
Fans were loud.

Beat Navy.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Re: Great game

Postby gostangs » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:57 pm

It was nice to see our fans show up in numbers and volume. We need to build on this, and I think that it will be through knocking off one of the next two.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:10 pm

I thought the fans that actually came and stayed were excellent-loud and proud
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:41 pm

Definitely an exciting game.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby skyscraper » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:07 pm

There were a lot of positives about last night.
I don't think we can undersell how important it was the team performed well in front of a bunch of alumni who aren't there every week or even every year.
skyscraper

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:25 pm

We've actually performed well in 3 out of 5 matchups against Top 25 caliber teams in past 2 years. Routing UH last year, 32 First Downs and a bunch more yards than USF last year and a close loss to No. 15 UCF last night. We are stepping up just fine-improvement is not a straight line. As talented players become more experienced we start winning these game. Its hardly surprising that in the 2nd and 3rd years of a total rebuild that we can't finish off Top 25 teams
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby 78pony » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:17 am

Was told the blue hair section was also loud and standing often. This from a regular who was surprised. (AKA as the stadium Club)
78pony
Heisman

Postby redpony » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:13 am

good game- disappointing result.
redpony

Postby PonyFan32 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:27 am

I walked away from that loss with a similar perspective that it wasn't the worst of losses on the spectrum, but I wonder if people would be feeling the same way if we hadn't been gifted the Cincinnati game by a mediocre/bad team.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:19 pm

PonyFan32 wrote:...I wonder if people would be feeling the same way if we hadn't been gifted the Cincinnati game by a mediocre/bad team.

Even IF the UC QB hadn't fumbled, they were looking at a tying FG attempt with a kicker who had already missed a makeable FG at that end. Even IF he made it, SMU would have been on defense first for the 2nd OT (strategic advantage).

According to win probability, it was SMU's game except for the first couple of plays of OT. http://www.espn.com/college-football/ga ... =400941826
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:54 pm

Hate losing but good game, defense improved, very hopeful against Navy. Still off the board? Nice alum turnout, good group of UCF fans, I was loud and so were my friends. Drops broke my heart. Onward to West Champs.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan32 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:46 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
PonyFan32 wrote:...I wonder if people would be feeling the same way if we hadn't been gifted the Cincinnati game by a mediocre/bad team.

Even IF the UC QB hadn't fumbled, they were looking at a tying FG attempt with a kicker who had already missed a makeable FG at that end. Even IF he made it, SMU would have been on defense first for the 2nd OT (strategic advantage).

According to win probability, it was SMU's game except for the first couple of plays of OT. http://www.espn.com/college-football/ga ... =400941826

They let us convert a 4th and 26 in overtime.

"Except for the first few plays of OT" is quite an impressive attempt to bury the lede.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby ponypatrick » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:22 pm

PonyFan wrote:I absolutely hate losing, but that is as encouraged as I have been after a loss in a long time.

Proche's long touchdown was incredible.
Defense hasn't swarmed like that in I don't know how long.
Hicks is becoming a decent runner.
Williams' long FG would have been good from 55. Maybe farther.
Fans were loud.

Beat Navy.

agree 100% !
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby 3rdGenPony » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:36 pm

PonyFan32 wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:

They let us convert a 4th and 26 in overtime.

"Except for the first few plays of OT" is quite an impressive attempt to bury the lede.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many times were we the ones giving up the 4th and 26 over the past few years. The coin has flipped, and it is the result of good recruiting and hard work. This program is turning the corner. I hope CM stays, but if he goes, I say best of luck and THANK YOU! Let's hope if he doesn't stay we hire a great replacement.
3rdGenPony
Varsity

Postby CA Mustang » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:54 am

PonyFan32 wrote:They let us convert a 4th and 26 in overtime.

I don't think UC would describe it as a gift. Or do you believe they conceded the play?

PonyFan32 wrote:"Except for the first few plays of OT" is quite an impressive attempt to bury the lede.

Win probabilities vary significantly by each play in OT.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football